3DxVirtualLCD Unhandled Exception

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

takedownca

3DxVirtualLCD Unhandled Exception

Post by takedownca »

Ever since updating to the latest driver, I get a "3DxVirtualLCD Unhandled Exception" error almost every time the driver starts. I've tried stopping the driver, deleting the 3DxVirtualLCD directory in "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\3Dconnexion", and restarting the driver. Sometimes this works temporarily, but the problem will always come back within a day or two. Based on the forum history, this exact same issue has persisted with other users for at least 3 years now. When will there be a fix?
3DxVirtualLCD Error.jpg
3DxVirtualLCD Error.jpg (215.01 KiB) Viewed 7711 times
UtaSH

Re: 3DxVirtualLCD Unhandled Exception

Post by UtaSH »

Hello takedownca,

I apologize for the trouble you encounter. We are tracking this issue with our internal bug number TS-79. Currently we are not able to reproduce the issue on one of our machines which makes is quite difficult to find out where the problem is. I will post here once we know more.
takedownca

Post by takedownca »

In case it helps, here's my windows version info.

Windows 10
Version 1803
Build 17134.1246
bernman

Post by bernman »

I have exactly the same error, with exactly the same error dialog. I have two PC's using 3Dconnexion devices, and this only happens on one. The first time this error occurred was when I updated the driver to 10.6.4, and it continued when installing 10.6.5. I have completely removed the software, and deleted all the 3dconnexion folders. Restarted and reinstalled, however the same error returns.

Both devices (Spacemouse, and CADmouse) on the affected computer still function, however I am not able to start the 3dconnexion configuration application.

Please help.

Thanks
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi all,

can you please let me know which Antivirus software you have installed?
takedownca

Post by takedownca »

I have Trend Micro
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi takedownca,
takedownca wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:07 am I have Trend Micro
Apparently, so do everyone else affected.

Could you please check why Trend Micro is blocking access to the file "3dxprofileserver.exe"? We cannot explain why this is happening but it may be related to a recent update to Trend Micro.

Also, if there is some sort of logging explaining which files from 3Dconnexion are being blocked, we would appreciate if you could post the information here. It would be interesting to see why Trend Micro is blocking access to "3dxprofileserver.exe".
takedownca

Post by takedownca »

Unfortunately, this is a work computer with the AV on lockdown by IT, so I have zero access to Trend Micro settings and the logs seem to be blank. I'll try to raise an issue with IT, but feel free to continue working the issue on your end.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi takedownca,

Could you please run our diagnostic tool (shift + right click on 3Dx systray icon -> Run Diagnostics)?
If you are running our latest driver (10.6.5), it should warn of a conflict with Trend Micro's products.

We have had other customers who added some of our executables to the Exception List of the Trend Micro products. After creating the exceptions they no longer had any problems. It's unclear why they are blocking our executables. It was not particularly easy to create an exception. A user with "administrator rights" can not seem to do it. It may need to be done at a more centralized location. The IT guys need to get involved--they probably are the people who installed it.

Let us know,
Jim
takedownca

Post by takedownca »

The diagnostic tool doesn't seem to be reporting anything. I can't enable logging either. It just disables again.
Capture 2020-02-24 3.png
Capture 2020-02-24 3.png (15.39 KiB) Viewed 7544 times
jwick

Post by jwick »

It doesn't do anything until you tell it to. Should it? That's a good question.
At this point it is expected to be run when you are on the phone with tech support. They would guide you through it.
Perhaps I should put some minimum instructions at the top.

If you can't Enable Logging through tool, use the 3Dx systray icon (right click).

Does it do anything when you click on "Collect System Information"?
When it is done, it should open the dir with a zip file that contains the collected system information.
Could you dropbox/WE/OneDriver/whatever that to me?

It might not warn. I'm looking for a specific Trend Micro product. You might have a different one. Probably the problem is the same though with the newer packaging.

Thanks,
Jim
kab343

Post by kab343 »

Hi Jim, we have the same problem and also run Trend Micro. I have created a zip file with all the system info, can you please share your contact details so I can send it you please?
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi kab343,

Is it a new Trend Micro release / product?

You can PM me a dropbox/WE/onedrive/etc link.

Thanks,
Jim
takedownca

Post by takedownca »

FYI IT checked my AV logs. There is no mention of Trend Micro blocking any 3Dx executables. I'm going to try using an older version of the 3Dx driver. I don't believe this was an issue until after my latest update.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi takedownca,

As far as we can tell, this issue is isolated to systems with Trend Micro installed. We do not know why Trend Micro is blocking access to the executable "3DxProfileServer.exe", an out-of-proc COM server used by several other driver components such as 3DxVirtualLCD.

Adding an exception for "3DxProfileServer.exe" in Trend Micro ought to allow you to run whatever driver version you need.

Other than that, installing a different driver version may work around the block, yes, but this is probably a roll of the dice.