Legacy System Extension

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

marcarch

Legacy System Extension

Post by marcarch »

macOS starts inform me that 3DConnexion kernel extension is now obsolete, and the next version of macOS won't support it anymore.
It's time to update the macOS driver...
ngomes

Re: Legacy System Extension

Post by ngomes »

Hi marcarch,

We are only too aware of the deprecation of kernel extensions (kext) in macOS. We have been working to replace the kext with a "system extension" based on the DriverKit framework (a "dext") since announced at the WWDC of last year.

We very much regret the current support status of macOS 10.15 since we at 3Dconnexion aim to deliver a better user experience than what we have today.
Nuno Gomes
RicoHo

Post by RicoHo »

When will we get an update for the driver? In the past it needed time until the driver got a update for newOS versions. And if I contact the support it needs weeks to get an answer. I like the products of 3dconnexion but driver development and support is very slow and frustrating.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi RicoHo,
RicoHo wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:56 am When will we get an update for the driver?
What are you looking for? Is there a particular issue affecting your set-up?
I like the products of 3dconnexion but driver development and support is very slow and frustrating.
As I mentioned above, we're also unhappy with the current situation. The user experience has deteriorated progressively with each new OS release and we are aware customers are affected.

As security is tighten in macOS, we're finding it increasingly difficult to maintain feature parity with older system releases as well as updating the driver in a more timely manner.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:08 amAs security is tighten in macOS, we're finding it increasingly difficult to maintain feature parity with older system releases as well as updating the driver in a more timely manner.
Did you try to getting in touch directly with Apple?
I know they are very inclined helping devs update their software to new OS. They did a good job working with Dropbox for a Finder integration, for instance. I’m sure there's a solution to this...
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:56 pm Did you try to getting in touch directly with Apple?
Yes.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:00 am
marcarch wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:56 pm Did you try to getting in touch directly with Apple?
Yes.
It doesn’t sounds good. Can we final users make anything about it?
Anyway I'm sure there must be a solution. I see that Apple works closely with Logitech (your parent company)...so it should be easy to reach a solution.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi marcarch,
marcarch wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:47 am It doesn’t sounds good. Can we final users make anything about it?
Firstly, thank you for asking. What we'd like end-users to do is to report what's wrong from their perspective. What may seem obvious to someone, isn't necessarily to us. Even if we do not respond, we will take notice and the information shared with us will be used to prioritise our work.

Concerning the problem at hand, replacing the kext is at the top of our list and has been since a very long while. Regrettably -- and as mentioned above, we haven't been able to complete that work.
Anyway I'm sure there must be a solution. I see that Apple works closely with Logitech (your parent company)...so it should be easy to reach a solution.
Logitech is no longer our parent company. 3Dconnexion was taken private back in 2011.
smithsr

Post by smithsr »

Hi - I too have been getting the Apple warnings about 3Dconnexion being a legacy software to be unsupported in future versions. I did see a Trimble-Sketchup video using Sketchup 2020 in which Aaron appeared to be using an Enterprise Spacemouse - He may have been on a Windows machine, though I had thought he was a Mac user.

I now have two of your Spacemouses though the wired one seems only to work on my laptop now. Could be that my USB fittings on the 2013 Mac are getting worn.

Navigating design programs without a Spacemouse is do-able but going backwards is a really pain.

Cheers from laterstarter
rjtiedeman

Post by rjtiedeman »

I was just getting used to using the 3D space mouse and now this. I spent the first 8 months plugging and replugging the 3D connection usb dongle. Now this update (kext to dext) which appears to be a much more catastrophic change where it probably won't work at all. Is that the case?
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:50 am Firstly, thank you for asking. What we'd like end-users to do is to report what's wrong from their perspective. What may seem obvious to someone, isn't necessarily to us.
From what I can understand reading Apple developer website, seems they're locking down the OS, forcing the drivers to install and work under the user sphere (DriverKit, SystemExtensions, Accessibility). I can’t complain about what Apple does for its macOS security, and I think Windows will take the same route sooner than later.

I'm sure there are difficulties, probably 3Dconnexion needs to rewrite the macOS driver from scratch, but it can and must be done, even if it won’t support every customization features in the beginning.
This could even open up new roads like 3Dconnexion compatibility for iPad and direct support for certain iPad apps maybe?

A little off-topic note: is it probably the right time to develop and release an USB-C Universal receiver, or a BLE SpaceMouse?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

HI marcarch,
marcarch wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:01 am I'm sure there are difficulties, probably 3Dconnexion needs to rewrite the macOS driver from scratch, but it can and must be done, even if it won’t support every customization features in the beginning.
We have been looking into deploying a "dext" (system extension based on DriverKit) since it was announced at the WWDC of 2019. As mentioned above, we have been unable to complete this work.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:02 am HI marcarch,
marcarch wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:01 am I'm sure there are difficulties, probably 3Dconnexion needs to rewrite the macOS driver from scratch, but it can and must be done, even if it won’t support every customization features in the beginning.
We have been looking into deploying a "dext" (system extension based on DriverKit) since it was announced at the WWDC of 2019. As mentioned above, we have been unable to complete this work.
After another dig into Apple Devs documentation they say that not all types of Kext have their Dext counterpart yet (June 2019).
We will probably see news about this soon after the WWDC 2020?

I'm glad to know that 3Dconnexion team is already on this anyway. The pop-up window after macOS update is much probably a general kext notice for any kext type...
jbishop129

Post by jbishop129 »

What is the status of this? We've now crossed the threshold for Developers where we cannot use the legacy kernel extension, and therefore any dependent hardware, on macOS Big Sur. Would love to see a Driver Extension so I can start testing and developing in Big Sur. Please advise!!