SolidWorks Rotation Center

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

amkramar

Re: SolidWorks Rotation Center

Post by amkramar »

Appreciate the auto rotation center and all, but am I the only one that still has a hell of a time trying to keep the part I'm looking at from flying off the screen during rotations? If I move very slowly and carefully it works, but as soon as I try to rotate and pan at the same time, the center shifts unexpectedly things fly away.

It's VERY FRUSTRATING to use!

I had 7 years with a space navigator in CATIA and loved it, but 2 years ago switched to Solidworks, and still can't get the hang of it.
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello amkramar -

That would indeed make navigation difficult. If you haven't already, try turning the auto rotation center off. When you select your own rotation center then the center is not being re-calculated as the model moves.

In your SolidWorks Views , check if the "perspective" view is selected. If it is, change to parallel (or orthogonal) projection.
The zoom function in perspective view can produce some unwanted effects.

The combination of auto-rotation center off and perspective view off should create more predictable behavior.
------------
Barbara
Twincamr2

Post by Twincamr2 »

I still having the same problem, so this is interesting - one of your moderators stated that hidden parts in a Solidworks assembly are not used to determine spin centre, but I can categorically state that this is not the case - I have a model with hidden parts open right now, and if the model is zoomed in (i.e. using the fancy 'spin centre algorithm') the spin centre is attached to the hidden part, not the visible part.

David
patrick.molimard

Post by patrick.molimard »

I just removed the "Zoom to cursor" in the "option option" tab and kept the "auto" in the "Rotation center" tab and it work much better.

I tried to insert a screen shot but it doesn't seam to work.
sundewzer

Post by sundewzer »

I was having issues with not being able to keep a part on the screen. I tried turning zoom to mouse center on and I had my rotation center on hide and it seemed to not be working so I turned AUTO off. After I cycled AUTO back on and turned it to show on motion it works just like the middle mouse click. I love my 3D Mouse once again.
robert1322

Post by robert1322 »

Thanks
kb9ydn

Post by kb9ydn »

There is something WAY wrong with the rotation center. It happens when you try to zoom and rotate at the same time. The rotation center suddenly moves to somewhere very far from the object that is rotating, yet the rotation center indicator stays at the same spot on the object. If you turn off zooming only or rotation only the problem does not occur. If you turn off panning it does still occur.

It is very easy to replicate by first starting a slow rotation (pitch or yaw) and then applying a small amount of zoom. The object will fly right out of view; but if you do it slowly you can see that the rotation center indicator never changes location on the object.

One other thing I've observed is that it seems to be much worse on some models than others. I have a particular assembly that is REALLY bad, yet it's subassemblies are not so much. Single parts however seem to be the most stable.

I should also note that this is with perspective view off. Turning on perspective view makes zooming quite literally impossible.

C|
mitch8198

Post by mitch8198 »

I have this problem too, although recreating it on my system is somewhat different.
Once an assembly gets above a certain size, the blue 'rotation centre' icon gets stuck in space outside of the model and the model now rotates about that centre.

It makes the 3dmouse almost unusable for inspecting details as the view flys around rotating about the off-screen centre (which has not been reset to the centre of the view).
Perspective mode is off, the driver is the latest version. I can sometimes get back normal functionality, by various procedures of restarting solidworks and toggling the "Auto" checkbox in the advanced settings of the app. The bug will then return once a few more parts are added/mated.
terracrusher26

Post by terracrusher26 »

I too have the same issue mentioned above. It clearly is not rotating around the point that is on the screen. I can't believe that this is such a problem with solidworks
jaylynmjr

Post by jaylynmjr »

sundewzer wrote:I was having issues with not being able to keep a part on the screen. I tried turning zoom to mouse center on and I had my rotation center on hide and it seemed to not be working so I turned AUTO off. After I cycled AUTO back on and turned it to show on motion it works just like the middle mouse click. I love my 3D Mouse once again.
Cycling AUTO helped more than anything else I've tried in 3 years. Thank You. The new 10.5 driver really brought this rotate problem back for me. Hopefully the cycling fix will stick.
MauricioEspinosa

Post by MauricioEspinosa »

Does someone knows if this problem is already corrected? I still having the same problem. Solidworks 2018 SP4.0 and the last mouse driver. My Enterprise mouse is unusable!!
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi all,

please contact our Technical Support Team.
3dme

Post by 3dme »

I believe that I have the solution for the problem described.
I think that there is a part in the assembly that somehow is mated wrong and it is whithin the assembly but in a x,y,z, point somewhere. Let me explain: When you press the 'F" button to fit the model in page, it should appear this part in a huge screen,meaning the model as tiny complex of parts, and the other part That creates the trouble) somewhere inside the picture(also tiny) to fit in the page. (This happens when the subpart is in a big distance between the main part where the assembly is. Usually placed by mistake or lack of mates to the main assembly) So if for any reason when you press the F button and the model zooms out as tiny and there is no other part nearby visible,(maybe the graphics card cannot appear it) but I believe that there is one. That is why when you rotate the model it zooms out to include and the "invisible" subpart. The rotation of the view is at a wider angle to include this part and it zooms the main model out, making it impossible to work with, in this case, I think.
So I recommend to make the following action: zoom the model (the main model working with, the assembly) to have a nice overall view and check each part that is consisted of seperately in the feature manager design tree(the bar on the left with the parts and actions that describe the procedure of making them)
I believe that there is a part that is left somewhere within the assembly and if you can locate it in the model just delete it. Just by selecting the parts included in the assembly(from the feature manager design tree) and checking where they appear in the model, (selecting on them.) In my model I noticed this one part and deleted it, knowing which part it is to replace it later.You later can recall it to mate it correctly within the assembly and nowhere in the space randomly as it is now.
When I did this in my model the rotating problem stoped. Because if you see in your file, the rotation of your model it gets out of the view in a way that it seems that there is another part that changes the rotation command everytime you rotate it, trying to include all the parts that are in the space.That is why it zooms out and you cannot work on this model.Just find this part.Delete it, and re insert it and then of course mate it again correctly. My oppinion, that worked for me. Hope it helps..
kb9ydn

Post by kb9ydn »

3dme wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:27 am I believe that I have the solution for the problem described.
I think that there is a part in the assembly that somehow is mated wrong and it is whithin the assembly but in a x,y,z, point somewhere. ...

Good idea but this is not the cause of the problem in my case.

C|
kb9ydn

Post by kb9ydn »

kb9ydn wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:32 am
3dme wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:27 am I believe that I have the solution for the problem described.
I think that there is a part in the assembly that somehow is mated wrong and it is whithin the assembly but in a x,y,z, point somewhere. ...
Good idea but this is not the cause of the problem in my case.

C|

Curiously though I just found something that seems to "fix" it, at least temporarily. Time will tell I guess. Anyway what you do is to go to the "View Orientation" tool in the graphics window and select one of the standard views. This seems to reset something and suddenly zoom/pan/rotate with the space mouse works normally again. Even perspective view is kinda sorta usable, although it's not great.

C|