Change the default button settings

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Alexscouce64

Change the default button settings

Post by Alexscouce64 »

Good morning all

I would like to know if it was possible to change the default button configuration so as to avoid having to reconfigure the buttons on each software, especially on the office. It's possible ?

Thank you
Alexscouce64

Re: Change the default button settings

Post by Alexscouce64 »

Good morning all

I would like to know if it was possible to change the default button configuration so as to avoid having to reconfigure the buttons on each software, especially on the office. It's possible ?

Thank you
[/quote]
luping

Post by luping »

The default button settings that come with 3DxWare installation are actually like a basic template for you to modify to suit specific application setting, so it's the default settings.
Alexscouce64

Post by Alexscouce64 »

Okay, but can we change this model in order to have the buttons we want in all applications, without having to configure them one by one if we have the same configuration of buttons on all applications ?
jwick

Post by jwick »

You want to change all of them on every single application?
Or just some buttons for some applications?
luping

Post by luping »

Alexscouce64 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:02 am Okay, but can we change this model in order to have the buttons we want in all applications, without having to configure them one by one if we have the same configuration of buttons on all applications ?
Right click 3Dconnexion tray icon, open 3Dconnexion properties,
click 'More >', click 'export settings', and choose the configurations you'd like to export, or even tick 'Export Button Configuration only',
click 'OK' to open the save dialog window and save it to the place or storage media you like.
Copy the exported *.3dxz file to a IT support guy and may be you can put it at a central server in your company, so every PC with 3DxWare installed and 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse device plugged can access it.

It's not possible to upload any screenshots, the phpBB forum webpage just said:
Error
Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.
: (
Alexscouce64

Post by Alexscouce64 »

I may not have made myself clear because I am French and I use a translator.

I would just like to modify the default button configuration which is proposed by the 3DxWare software, instead of modifying the buttons on each application each time.

Because my personal configuration of buttons is the same on all office applications, so it's very annoying to repeat the same operation for all applications in windows.

In addition, in windows itself, 3dXware detects a different application for each type of folder, window, etc. This makes the number of button configurations far too large ...

I hope I have been clearer this time ...
jwick

Post by jwick »

Do you use the SpaceMouse Pro with 3D applications? Or just Office & Windows apps.

It is possible to assign buttons globally, but then they would also be assigned in your 3D apps.
Alexscouce64

Post by Alexscouce64 »

Hello, I use the 3D spacemouse for Topsolid-Sketchup, but also in office automation.

I have specific button settings for the 2 software, but for everything else I would like the same configuration whether in Windows navigation, excellent Powerpoint etc ...

If I could modify the default parameters proposed by 3dXware I would have only one operation to do for all the others.

The problem with 3DxWare is that it detects a different application in windows depending on the type of window that you open, if you are on the desktop, if you are in the configurations ... It calculates an unimaginable number different applications when browsing Windows.

Hence my motivation to want to configure the default buttons. I do not know if I am explicit enough, but I can not formulate my request otherwise.

Thanks again for trying to help me, I appreciate it.
jwick

Post by jwick »

It's possible, but horribly difficult to do this, ATM. It may be easier in a future release. Stay tuned.
GBek

Post by GBek »

I'm not sure if this will work for you or stay working after updates or anything but the following worked for me.

I wanted every application that I did not edit settings for to use the left button of my spacemouse compact as a normal left mouse button.

I opened global.xml inside the cfg folder (this is inside the 3dconnexion folder inside program files)

Then use Ctrl + F to find

Code: Select all

<ID>ID_Standard_3D_Mouse</ID>
The above may not be your device, check the rest of the file

Then I rewrote this device section to:

<Device>
      <ID>ID_Standard_3D_Mouse</ID>
      <Name>Standard 3D Mouse</Name>

<ButtonBank Default="true">
        <Name>STR_DEFAULT_BUTTONBANK</Name>
        <ID>Default</ID>
        <Button>
          <Input>
            <ActionID>HIDButton_1</ActionID>
          </Input>
          <Output>
            <ActionID>HIDMouse_Left</ActionID>
          </Output>
        </Button>
      </ButtonBank>

<Settings>
        <OnScreenDisplay>
		  <Enabled>true</Enabled>
		  <AlwaysOn>false</AlwaysOn>
		</OnScreenDisplay>
      </Settings>
    </Device>
And it worked..

Again, don't know if this keeps working but I'm happy for now

If you want different settings, edit your preffered settings in the GUI for some application. Open the application specific XML and look for your own changes. Copy these changes to the global.xml. I've not tried this but I imagine this is how it works..
jwick

Post by jwick »

I don't think that works 100%.
But since this thread was started there have been updates to the driver that makes this easier.

In Global.xml, you can define a global ButtonBank. In this ButtonBank, you can define a button assignment that will be used for all similar types of devices, for all applications. The syntax is slightly different from what you've listed.

This is the current syntax:

<Devices>
    <Device>
      <ID>ID_Standard_3D_Mouse</ID>  <!-- The generic name for all 3D mice. It is used unless a device-specific assignment is later added. -->
      <Name>Standard 3D Mouse</Name>
      <ButtonBank Global="true">   <!-- This is important -->
        <ID>Global Global</ID>
        <Name>Global</Name>
        <InheritsFromID/>
        <Button>
          <Input>
            <ActionID>V3DK_MENU_1</ActionID>  <!-- That's the generic name for the left button on a 2 button device -->
          </Input>
          <Output>
            <ActionID>HIDMouse_Left</ActionID>
          </Output>
        </Button>
      </ButtonBank>
    </Device>

There is one problem with this. I don't think the GUI (3DxSmartUI) knows about this assignment. It will probably not show it, but it will be used.
GBek

Post by GBek »

Thanks for your quick reaction. For now my own solution works in all applications I've tried. But as soon as something stops working I'll try yours :D