OSX 10.15 compatibility?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

ctc

OSX 10.15 compatibility?

Post by ctc »

Can anyone please confirm if the spacemouse wireless is compatible with OSX 10.15? I see some posts from last October that there were problems, and the most recent entry in the supported operating systems page is 10.14. Thank you.
UtaSH

Re: OSX 10.15 compatibility?

Post by UtaSH »

Hi ctc,

I apologize for any misleading information. Yes, our devices are supported on macOS 10.5. (Catalina). You can find the supported operating systems in the release notes for the current driver (3DxWareMac 10.6.5). Please follow the instructions in this FAQ.
mark-in-seattle

Post by mark-in-seattle »

My SpaceMouse-Pro is working on my vanilla Hackintosh MacOSX 10.15.4 and 10.15.5, though when I boot into Fedora 32 Linux the SpaceMouse does not work via the hardwired USB cable, it only works thru the "universal" wireless dongle hardware device plugged into a USB 3 port.

This took some time to troubleshoot, since the hardwired USB cable connection was working in MacOSX Catalina just fine. I can also confirm that my SpaceMouse-Pro also works via the "universal" wireless dongle as well in MacOSX Catalina, however I have not yet gotten it to connect via Bluetooth which my system has.

IMHO 3Dconnexion software development has been sub-par in the past several years. In my experience the Linux community has almost entirely abandoned 3Dconnecxion drivers in favor of open-source versions which work better. The 3Dconnextion drivers are very old and not well maintained, which some users on this forum have also ascribed to other 3Dconnexion software, though to their credit they did release a MacOSX driver update recently, so maybe the situation is improving. Now if 3Dconnexion would extend support for other applications on the MacOSX platform.

In contrast Logitech development teams support hardware even a decade after release. I just recently got my old Logitech BCC950 conference webcam base station to work just fine under MacOSX Catalina, because they released new drivers a month ago .... for a 10+ year old product ! Linux has recent drivers for my even older Logitech Pro-9000 webcam enabling me to use it during Covid-19 for video conferencing. That product is 12 years old. This is why I hope someday Logitech will introduce a line of SpaceMouse-Pro like input devices. I trust Logitech to support such a product well into the future.... 3Dconnexion, not so much, YMMV.
ctc

Post by ctc »

I returned my spacemouse because the driver installation failed 2x on OS X and on Windows it didn’t work with Revit. Too bad.