SpacePilot Pro not working with 3D Max 2020

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Kit0

SpacePilot Pro not working with 3D Max 2020

Post by Kit0 »

So I have found what it's the hugest BUG ever (probably).

Just to clarify, I was using 3DxWare64_v10-6-7_r3198.exe but I updated to the latest 3DxWare64_v10-6-8_r3210.exe and the problem does not go away. I can't test with older versions as these may not have proper support for 3D Max 2020.

I have always used my SpacePilot Pro for the past 6 years or so without issues. Recently I had to update my computer and switched from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and from Max 2016 to Max 2020 but the software doesn't seem to work correctly anymore.

The issue is easy to replicate. My job is mostly creating characters so a big part of it it's skinning painting weights. But when I use SpacePilot Pro while painting weights, there is a huge bug that destroys all my work. It seems that if 3D Max autosave kicks in while you are painting and moving the camera around, after it finishes saving, 3D Max gets bugged and whenever I add a new stroke painting weights, the last one gets "undid". If I keep holding the brush down, the scene keeps undoing every action I have done. When this happens, the undo/redo history gets empty so you can't undo or redo anything anymore. If you save the scene like this before everything gets undone, once you open it again you will see that everything that you have done since the last save is not there anymore so you lose all your work (basically you save but it acts as if doesn't save any changes that you have made to the file).

I guess I don't need to mention how annoying this is. And before someone suggests it, I tried with a completely clean installation of Max without any plugins or scripts. I tried updating Max to 2020.3 but the issue persists. If I work normally without making use of the SpacePilo Pro, there is no issue at all.

I have also noticed a maybe related behavior. I used to be able to paint weights while the camera moves around without stopping just fine. Now, if I do a stroke while the camera is moving and try to add a second stroke, the first one gets undone. This happens even before the bug kicks in. Happens the same on Max 2021 on a quick test that I did so I am not sure whether this is a limitation on newer versions or another bug in the software.

I couldn't test further enough on Max 2021 to see if the main reported bug also happens there but a quick test didn't make it appear while on Max 2020 happens ALWAYS. This, of course, is no warranty that the bug isn't in 2021 too since it could happen under different circumstances.

I am really in a hurry as I can't wait to finish my work and without SpacePilot my work gets extremely slow so I hope the bug gets fixed as soon as possible.
luping

Re: SpacePilot Pro not working with 3D Max 2020

Post by luping »

There's the problem in 3DxWare v10.6.8 with 3ds Max 2020, you have to wait for a future release, or go back to 3ds Max v10.6.0.
Kit0

Post by Kit0 »

Will it be fixed in the next release? How long would it take?
As professional, I have to rely on different softwares to work. Going back to the recommended old version just adds new issues like no compatibility for Max 2021 among other newer softwares.
I hope this gets sorted really soon because I am losing time and money.
luping

Post by luping »

Well, 3DxWare v10.6.9 is just out there, you may check it out for yourself. As for Autodesk 3ds Max, it costs $1,620/year, my suggestion is that you either stick to v2021 only or stick to v2020 only.
Kit0

Post by Kit0 »

In the real world you can't do that. Certain companies may work with one version and some others with a more updated one. Not to mention that companies have each their own plugins and incompatibilities. Now if a 3DConnexion device can't do one of the really few things for what it's made for then tell me what's the purpose of a professional tool then. We aren't talking about a device that needs compatibility with every single software out there but a handful of them yet it fails to deliver. The software has been being buggy with 3D Max for several versions, what about really fixing it so we can continue using it? I am not sure why you bring the price of 3D Max here btw, I am sure it's completely irrelevant seeing that the bug is not on their side.

The point is, the software doesn't work properly with the apps for what it's made for since several releases and this is, obviously, necessary otherwise no one will be able to use it with one of the most common 3D apps out there. Suggesting an older version it's something not so bad when you don't lose compatibility or when you do it for a short frame of time. But it cant never be a complete solution.

BTW, the new version have no fixes regarding Max at all. The Max plugin it's the same old one so fixes for Max 2020 are still necessary. Remember that the bug is not a small one, it's something that breaks the whole file and happens to every single one in the studio on different machines. The only reason why you may not get much reports it's because 1) I am the owner of the studio and I don't feel necessary for every single college to post the same thing here and 2) you wont find many people who do skinning and weight painting around the globe.

Hoping for a fix soon...
luping

Post by luping »

The problem is that Autodesk software development team doesn't really care about integrating 3DxWare SDK API into 3ds Max software, the constant yearly update cycle and code change in 3ds Max make it hard for a small company in EU called 3Dconnexion to follow.
Kit0

Post by Kit0 »

I understand your reasoning and how most companies don't care much about integrating the device on their software but I don't think it's fair to blame them. If 10.6.0 works fine and you mess it on the following versions then it completely relies on you and not Autodesk since they didn't change anything on their software that could break the compatibility. The fact that all the settings can't be imported properly to 10.6.0 because it crashes the software and doesn't really change the keybindings it's also Autodesk's fault? And what about 10.6.0 not being able to set 3D Max actions on any buttons because it keeps doing the default actions?
Kit0

Post by Kit0 »

BTW I just tested the latest one and looks like moving the camera while weight painting while autosaving it doesn't break the history either start undoing everything but the bug that deletes your last stroke if you do them while the camera moves it's still there and also happens on Max 2021. It does not happen on 10.6.0. Let's hope this can be fixed soon as not being able to move the camera while painting kills the whole purpose of the device.
luping

Post by luping »

Kit0 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:19 am I understand your reasoning and how most companies don't care much about integrating the device on their software but I don't think it's fair to blame them. If 10.6.0 works fine and you mess it on the following versions then it completely relies on you and not Autodesk since they didn't change anything on their software that could break the compatibility. The fact that all the settings can't be imported properly to 10.6.0 because it crashes the software and doesn't really change the keybindings it's also Autodesk's fault? And what about 10.6.0 not being able to set 3D Max actions on any buttons because it keeps doing the default actions?
Another issue is that 3Dconnexion devices sales volume is not good enough to generate enough income and profit to retain some of its employees. The demand and small market segment for 3D devices are not like the sales of Apple's iPhone or AirPods business. :|

There's the incompatibility issue between different versions of 3DxWare, the configurations/settings are only valid for a specific version, I usually do a clean installation of 3DxWare if there's a new version(be sure to make a backup copy of the configuration file). :wink:
Kit0

Post by Kit0 »

I spoke too soon. None of the bugs has been fixed. They are still there making me lose a huge amount of hours since it breaks the whole file.
There is not any warranty that does not happen in 2021. It's more likely happening too since it also has the same wrong behavior of undoing every stroke when you paint moving the camera. This is not limited to weight painting, it can happen with any action done through the auto-saving process when the camera it's in movement.
Kit0

Post by Kit0 »

luping wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:56 am
Kit0 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:19 am I understand your reasoning and how most companies don't care much about integrating the device on their software but I don't think it's fair to blame them. If 10.6.0 works fine and you mess it on the following versions then it completely relies on you and not Autodesk since they didn't change anything on their software that could break the compatibility. The fact that all the settings can't be imported properly to 10.6.0 because it crashes the software and doesn't really change the keybindings it's also Autodesk's fault? And what about 10.6.0 not being able to set 3D Max actions on any buttons because it keeps doing the default actions?
Another issue is that 3Dconnexion devices sales volume is not good enough to generate enough income and profit to retain some of its employees. The demand and small market segment for 3D devices are not like the sales of Apple's iPhone or AirPods business. :|

There's the incompatibility issue between different versions of 3DxWare, the configurations/settings are only valid for a specific version, I usually do a clean installation of 3DxWare if there's a new version(be sure to make a backup copy of the configuration file). :wink:
Just so you know, I have made a new post about this issue. I made a new post because I got the SpaceMouse Enterprise and a newer version of the software that still carries the bug on both, Max 2020 and Max 2021 and I need a fix asap before I decide to return it. Then you can write about low volume sales but they won't increase much if every time that a user like me want to give you guys some confidence and support buying a new expensive device, you all end stopping replying to messages and looking elsewhere rather than fixing an issue that I am sure is not even a so big deal to start.
luping

Post by luping »

Kit0 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:04 am
luping wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:56 am

Just so you know, I have made a new post about this issue. I made a new post because I got the SpaceMouse Enterprise and a newer version of the software that still carries the bug on both, Max 2020 and Max 2021 and I need a fix asap before I decide to return it. Then you can write about low volume sales but they won't increase much if every time that a user like me want to give you guys some confidence and support buying a new expensive device, you all end stopping replying to messages and looking elsewhere rather than fixing an issue that I am sure is not even a so big deal to start.
I'm an end user just like you, not a 3Dconnexion employee. I do understand your pain with the 3D mouse.