Spacemouse grab hard

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Paule

Spacemouse grab hard

Post by Paule »

Hi,
I use the spacemouse only in one program.
So I have set <Grab>Hard</Grab> like here https://forum.3dconnexion.com/viewtopic ... rab#p42944.
This works perfect.

But when I open a second instance of this program, the spacemouse only works in this instance.

What have I to do, that it works in alle instances?

Thanks
jwick

Re: Spacemouse grab hard

Post by jwick »

Interesting question. It's the first time I've heard it.
It does make perfect sense, but it unfortunately doesn't work that way.

It actually Grabs the connection to the app, which happens to use the cfg file you placed the <Grab> in. Not the other way around. It's a cfg based implementation of an API function. If you start another instance, that Grab probably gets transferred to it because new connections always get treated with a higher priority than existing connections. There's my explanation, but it doesn't help you.

If you always want to use the same cfg, for all apps, there are other ways of doing that.

I assume you don't want to let other apps get any attention even when you've switched over to them with the 2D mouse. There may be other ways of doing that. You'd have to remove the cfgs for all the other apps and try to tell the default cfg to be Ignored (there's a flag for that). It would take a bit of experimentation. The approach being not to Hard Grab the app, but to Ignore all the rest of the apps. So only the Grabbed app would get recognized.

Which application do you want Grabbed, Solid Edge?
Paule

Post by Paule »

Yes I use SolidEdge and I want use the spacemouse only in SolidEdge
Paule

Post by Paule »

@jwick
Have you any ideas what I have to do?
jwick

Post by jwick »

There is no official support for this, but it will probably work for you.
It is something you would have to do every time you upgraded your 3DxWare installation.

Please file a support request on our web site so the people who make these decisions know of your request.

You might want to do a back up before deleting these files.

Ask me before performing any of these steps if you have any questions.
It's a big change. And it means that your 3D mouse probably doesn't do anything at all in any other application.

1) Stop 3DxService. Shift+right click on the 3Dx systray icon gives you an option to do this.
2) Delete all the XML files in %appdata%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg.
3) Open the 3DxWinCore cfg installation directory (the default files). Normally this is C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxWinCore\Cfg
4) Delete all XML files EXCEPT: 3DxHome.xml, 3DxNumPad.xml, 3DxPieMenus.xml, 3DxService.xml, 3DxSmartUI.xml, AppDefCfg_KMJ.xml, AppDefCfg_MWM.xml, AppDefCfg_S80.xml, AppDefCfg_S80_Navlib.xml, AppDefCfg_S80_V3DCMDs.xml, Base.xml, de-DE.xml, Desktop.xml, en-US.xml, Global.xml, SolidEdge.xml.
5) Edit (notepad is fine) AppDefCfg_KMJ.xml, AppDefCfg_MWM.xml, AppDefCfg_S80.xml, AppDefCfg_S80_Navlib.xml, AppDefCfg_S80_V3DCMDs.xml.
Change the line:

Code: Select all

<Ignore>false</Ignore>
to

Code: Select all

<Ignore>true</Ignore>
6) Save those files.
7) Make sure your <Grab>Hard</Grab> is removed from where ever you put it.
8) Restart 3DxService.
9) Only Solid Edge should be recognized, regardless of which application has focus. You should be able to switch to different instances of Solid Edge.