Remote Desktop use of local Space Navigator

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

pball

Re: Remote Desktop use of local Space Navigator

Post by pball »

D_Roam wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:57 am Has anyone had success in getting the RemoteFX solution to work when the local (client) computer is running Windows 10 Home (not Pro)? I have Windows 10 Home on my home PC, so I can't open gpedit to enable Remote FX for RDP. I read some posts saying there are scripts to enable the correct settings, but it did not work for PCs running Windows 10 Home.

Has anyone gotten this to work? Greatly appreciate any help.
It does not appear to be possible to use Win10 Home on either end. It is possible to get the group policy editor installed on Win10 Home but some things like RemoteFX still do not work. I tried everything I could find and upgrading to Win10 Pro was the only solution. I lucked out and my IT guy had a random Win7 Pro license that I used to upgrade my laptop. If you are friendly with your IT you could try that. Getting an OEM Win10 install to upgrade is a bit tricky though as you have to deactivate first, then use a win7/8/10 Pro key to activate and it works.
Josh T.

Post by Josh T. »

D_Roam wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:57 am Has anyone had success in getting the RemoteFX solution to work when the local (client) computer is running Windows 10 Home (not Pro)?
I still have not gotten Home to work, so I think I will eventually upgrade to Pro. Even at full price ($99), it's still cheaper than the 3rd-party USB network gate that I had demo'd.

I'm curious if people typically reinstall from scratch when upgrading to Pro or just upgrade from their current Home installation. I'd prefer not to reinstall from scratch, but I don't want to trigger problems with a non-clean install.
D_Roam

Post by D_Roam »

OK interesting, thanks very much for the replies. I didn't realize it was only $99 to upgrade to W10 Pro. I'm currently on a trial of "USB Network Gate", and it seems to be working pretty well for the most part. I've had to work out some kinks but I think it might work OK in the long term. However, it's $169 after the trial ends. So if RemoteFX is as good or better, then $99 for W10 Pro is definitely the better deal.

So, the question then: How has people's experience been with RemoteFX over RDP? Is it reliable at connecting the Space Navigator, and staying connected? Are 3D movements smooth? Does the Space Navigator behave as expected?
pball

Post by pball »

Josh T.

No install is required to change Home to Pro. You can simply change the key to do the upgrade, though I had to jump through a few hoops like deactivating first to get that to work. You could also do an upgrade install which should let you use a different key and not wipe your current setup. A little googling should give better instructions.
Josh T.

Post by Josh T. »

Thanks for the info.
JSTheJack95

Post by JSTheJack95 »

Wow! This turned into a total CF. I appreciate all of the work everyone has done. Still took 2-3 hrs to get it right....only 4 gp settings!!!

I got this to work with the settings EXACTLY as UtaSH stated on pg 2 or 3.

Both of my machines run Win 10 Pro and if a policy was ENABLED on one machine it was ENABLED on the other. In no case is there a policy where the host HOST is ENABLED and the client is DISABLED or visa versa.....ton of conflicting info on the setup in the various posts.

What I did encounter is that my wireless SpaceMouse (connected via USB cable) works in ANSYS Meshing, but not in SpaceClaim. Imagine that.

Any ideas?
rupeshoo7

Post by rupeshoo7 »

It doesn't seem, by all accounts, to be conceivable to utilize Win10 Home on either end. It is conceivable to get the gathering strategy manager introduced on Win10 Home however a few things like RemoteFX still don't work. I had a go at all that I could discover and moving up to Win10 Pro was the main arrangement. I got lucky and my IT fellow had an arbitrary Win7 Pro permit that I used to update my PC. In the event that you are cordial with your IT, you could attempt that. Getting an OEM Win10 to introduce to update is somewhat precarious however as you need to deactivate first, at that point utilize a win7/8/10 Pro key to initiate and it works.
[url=adobezii.online/]adobe universal patcher[url]
mboye

Post by mboye »

Hi everyone.
So I had success setting remoteFX up for the SpaceMouse. However the ctrl, alt, shift, esc button does not map correctly, and from what i read in this thread, it seems unlikely it can work.

So just to be sure, can I get the ctrl, alt, shift, esc keys to work with RemoteFX? Is it something 3Dconnexion is looking in to?

Anyone had any luck, or will I need to search for a 3rd party solution?

Best Regards,
Mads.
jwick

Post by jwick »

You can assign your keyboard modifier keys to different functions in the driver. These functions work over a network connection.

You have to do this manually though.

There are many ways of doing this, but the easiest way is to modify the Base.xml file in your 3DxWinCore installation directory.
This is typically:
C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxWinCore\Cfg
You will have to redo this every time you install 3DxWare. You need permissions to edit that file.

Find these lines under the Standard 3D Mouse Device element:

Code: Select all

<Button>
          <Input>
            <ActionID>V3DK_ALT</ActionID>
          </Input>
          <Output>
            <ActionID>KB_Alt</ActionID>
          </Output>
        </Button>
        <Button>
          <Input>
            <ActionID>V3DK_SHIFT</ActionID>
          </Input>
          <Output>
            <ActionID>KB_Shift</ActionID>
          </Output>
        </Button>
        <Button>
          <Input>
            <ActionID>V3DK_CTRL</ActionID>
          </Input>
          <Output>
            <ActionID>KB_Ctrl</ActionID>
          </Output>
        </Button>
Change them to these:

<Button>
          <Input>
          </Input>
          <Output>
            <ActionID>Driver_KB_Alt</ActionID>
          </Output>
        </Button>
        <Button>
          <Input>
          </Input>
          <Output>
            <ActionID>Driver_KB_Shift</ActionID>
          </Output>
        </Button>
        <Button>
          <Input>
          </Input>
          <Output>
            <ActionID>Driver_KB_Ctrl</ActionID>
          </Output>
        </Button>
antonynealrobinson

Post by antonynealrobinson »

I was just about to say a friendly guy in the US helped me configure mine earlier in the year but Mr Jwick has already posted the answer.
mboye

Post by mboye »

jwick wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:29 pm You can assign your keyboard modifier keys to different functions in the driver. These functions work over a network connection.

You have to do this manually though.

There are many ways of doing this, but the easiest way is to modify the Base.xml file in your 3DxWinCore installation directory.
This is typically:
C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxWinCore\Cfg
You will have to redo this every time you install 3DxWare. You need permissions to edit that file.

Find these lines under the Standard 3D Mouse Device element:

<Button>
          <Input>
          </Input>
          <Output>
            <ActionID>KB_Alt</ActionID>
          </Output>
        </Button>
        <Button>
          <Input>
          </Input>
          <Output>
            <ActionID>KB_Shift</ActionID>
          </Output>
        </Button>
        <Button>
          <Input>
          </Input>
          <Output>
            <ActionID>KB_Ctrl</ActionID>
          </Output>
        </Button>
Change them to these:

<Button>
          <Input>
          </Input>
          <Output>
            <ActionID>Driver_KB_Alt</ActionID>
          </Output>
        </Button>
        <Button>
          <Input>
          </Input>
          <Output>
            <ActionID>Driver_KB_Shift</ActionID>
          </Output>
        </Button>
        <Button>
          <Input>
          </Input>
          <Output>
            <ActionID>Driver_KB_Ctrl</ActionID>
          </Output>
        </Button>
Hi Jwick.
Thank you for the reply. Just to clarify does these changes need to happen on client, server, or both sides? Will the changes prevent that the ctrl,shift,esc,alt keys stop working on the client machine, or should it work both client side and remote?

Best Regards,
Mads.
antonynealrobinson

Post by antonynealrobinson »

I found that for the spacemouse the XML file had to be edited on the remote server.
For a CADmouse any changes had to be done on the client PC.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Those changes can be anywhere 3DxService is running.

It causes the driver to use a different mechanism to generate those key events. It should work everywhere.

It doesn't change normal keyboard macros (longer strings of keys). I don't think those will work.
If you look in our Base.xml file (Program Files/...), there are more Driver_KB_* functions you can also use.

IIRC, there might be be some specific applications where the keys don't work (NX comes to mind).
Let me know if you see any anomalies.
PanPorzeczka

Post by PanPorzeczka »

VirtualHere works for me.
Free version with 1 device is enough.

On host device need to be turn off at device manager to correct use on client.
I test this with SpaceNavigator and work good.

I have win10 Home at home, and win10 Pro at work.
mboye

Post by mboye »

Hi Jwick.
Thank you for the clarification, but I need a little more help.
So I have tried all combination of the Driver_* alteration of Base.xml.
  • Only client
  • Only remote
  • Both client and remote

But without luck so far. Will this change be instant, or do I need to signout from the remote, replug mouse, restart 3dxware service or other service, or something else?

Both client and remote are running 3DxWare = 10.7.0.3248 and 3DxWinCore = 17.7.0.17687

I see in the 3Dconnexion Properties that when i change to Driver_KB_* in base.xml that under the button options, the Key mapping for ESC,CTRL,ALT,SHIFT is not selected to e.g. Shift Key in the drop down. Must i reselect here, or will that mitigate the changes created in base.xml?
jwick wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:43 am Those changes can be anywhere 3DxService is running.

It causes the driver to use a different mechanism to generate those key events. It should work everywhere.

It doesn't change normal keyboard macros (longer strings of keys). I don't think those will work.
If you look in our Base.xml file (Program Files/...), there are more Driver_KB_* functions you can also use.

IIRC, there might be be some specific applications where the keys don't work (NX comes to mind).
Let me know if you see any anomalies.