SpaceMouse Enterprise & Solid Edge - Cant set buttons

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Eeproc

SpaceMouse Enterprise & Solid Edge - Cant set buttons

Post by Eeproc »

Hi All,

I just recently upgraded my computer at work and have installed the latest drivers (3DxWare64_v10-7-0_r3248) for the space mouse (previously running on 3DxWare64_v10-4-10_r2558).
The space mouse registers I'm in solid edge and brings up all the default buttons for the various environments but I cant set the buttons in the 3DxSmartUi. When ever I click into it solid edge is removed from the environment.

I have checked the permissions and they are both (SE and SME) running as non elevated.

Also if any one knows how import the settings from the old version to the new that would be helpful.

luping

Re: SpaceMouse Enterprise & Solid Edge - Cant set buttons

Post by luping »

Don't import old 10.4.10 version 3DxWare configurations into the new 10.7.0 version 3DxWare, the backward compatibility is bad.

And what's the SolidEdge software version?
Eeproc

Post by Eeproc »

Solid edge ST9 with maintenance pack 13.
My old computer that has been handed down to my co-worker is running the same, but when I first started using the mouse on that computer the Solid edge ST9 didn't have any maintenance packs installed on it.
luping

Post by luping »

Reconfigure the settings for 3DxWare v10.7.0.
Eeproc

Post by Eeproc »

Hi Luping,

I'm assuming by that you mean manually retyping out the configuration file to make it work with 10.7.0?
I will look into doing that but it doesnt help me if to create any new profiles/commands i have to do that manual entry every time.

Is anyone aware on how to fix the issue with 3DxSmartUi not holding the correct window for selection. For example I can enter the explorer.exe and open the properties which brings up the mouse.
If I then click buttons the Button screen opens up.
This shows what program I currently have selected in this case "3DxSmartUi"
I can then click into any other program i.e. Solid edge and Solid edge will show as being selected with all the buttons changing to default solid edge buttons depending on what environment I'm in.
Now normally id click back on the buttons window and it would hold "Solid edge" as my last selected program and allow me to customize and set the buttons for what ever "environment" I was in.
But as soon as i click into the button window it selected the environment back to "3DxSmartUi" which means i can't do anything apart from manually editing the configuration file in notepad.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or have a solution?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
luping

Post by luping »

Eeproc wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:29 pm Hi Luping,

I'm assuming by that you mean manually retyping out the configuration file to make it work with 10.7.0?
I will look into doing that but it doesnt help me if to create any new profiles/commands i have to do that manual entry every time.

Is anyone aware on how to fix the issue with 3DxSmartUi not holding the correct window for selection. For example I can enter the explorer.exe and open the properties which brings up the mouse.
If I then click buttons the Button screen opens up.
This shows what program I currently have selected in this case "3DxSmartUi"
I can then click into any other program i.e. Solid edge and Solid edge will show as being selected with all the buttons changing to default solid edge buttons depending on what environment I'm in.
Now normally id click back on the buttons window and it would hold "Solid edge" as my last selected program and allow me to customize and set the buttons for what ever "environment" I was in.
But as soon as i click into the button window it selected the environment back to "3DxSmartUi" which means i can't do anything apart from manually editing the configuration file in notepad.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or have a solution?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
No, I mean when the 3DxWare driver v10.7.0 is installed and running while SolidEdge is running as the active application in focus, call out the 3DxWare control panel by hitting the MENU button on your SpaceMouse Enterprise hardware, actually the 3DxSmartUi.exe process.

The problem you described is what I once reported in another thread in this forum, the lack of application-specific sub-menu/sub-command list from the Buttons configuration window, in my case of testing, Siemens NX v1880, while in your case, it's Siemens SolidEdge ST9 with MP13.
Check out the screenshots below, the 3Dconnexion Viewer is detected by 3DxSmartUi.exe process and 3Dconnexion Viewer application is showed in Buttons panel commands mapping section with sub-commands for reassignment. The problem is that 3DxWare v10.7.0 is claimed to support NX v1872, v1899, v1926, but not the kind of maintenance release version between, in my test case, v1892 and another guy's v1880(all belong to v1872 major release). I believe the problem is the same one happened to your SolidEdge ST9 with maintenance pack 13, after many maintenance packs, the SolidEdge ST9 just lost the ability to be fully detected by 3DxWare v10.7.0. I suppose the initial SolidEdge ST9 with no maintenance pack should be fine with 3DxWare v10.7.0.

So far, I don't think 3Dconnexion driver developer(s) will investigate the issue what we're experiencing right now, they simple don't have enough resource to cover this specific CAD workbench/environment incompatibility issue.
NX 2 not detected.png
NX 2 not detected.png (72.48 KiB) Viewed 4693 times
Viewer.png
Viewer.png (119.6 KiB) Viewed 4693 times
Eeproc

Post by Eeproc »

Hi Luping, thanks for that reply and your continued responses.

I just tired calling out the control panel via the MENU button on the hardware which brings up the button form as usual.
The Solid edge environment is detected by the 3DxSmartUi and the menu form shows as expected for the solid edge environment.
Image 4.png
Image 4.png (74.33 KiB) Viewed 4689 times
The problem is that as soon as I click on the 3DxSmartUi form to set what a button does in Solid edge or any other program (Excel, chrome, etc) that program becomes deselected and the 3DxSmartUi is the selected interface.
Image 5.png
Image 5.png (72.92 KiB) Viewed 4689 times
Based on this not working on any program, its not purely a solid edge issue. Also the old version on my previous computer still allows me to set the buttons via the 3DxSmartUi with solid edge ST9 MP13, excel etc.

I have tried uninstalling the drivers and software and reinstalling the older version but that did not help, maybe there was some remnants of the latest drivers/software still installed that were causing issues? I haven't dived into the registry to look (nor do I want to)
Eeproc

Post by Eeproc »

Hi Luping,

Thanks for all your help, i decided to uninstall and reinstall (for the 5th time) and it now has decided to work.

Thanks again for all your help, the thread can now be closed.
staka

Post by staka »

good day! how did you solve the problem described in the screenshots above? (please forgive me, i write through a translator, my native language is russian)
luping

Post by luping »

staka wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:14 am good day! how did you solve the problem described in the screenshots above? (please forgive me, i write through a translator, my native language is russian)
You may have to start a support ticket to ask for trouble-shooting from 3Dconnexion support. This problem is tricky for end user.