3dsmax navigating from Camera makes viewport unresponsive

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Coastavis

3dsmax navigating from Camera makes viewport unresponsive

Post by Coastavis »

Hi, I have a space navigator and love the potential it has. Although one thing that is really bugging me is if I try to navigate a camera with it (Free or target) the viewport becomes totally unresponsive where I have to restart 3dsmax. This bug somehow breaks the video driver. Any ideas why this could be happening, any fixes or workarounds?
luping

Re: 3dsmax navigating from Camera makes viewport unresponsive

Post by luping »

It's a well-known bug. Wait for future driver 3DxWare release to address this bug.
Coastavis

Post by Coastavis »

Did this ever work? I have gone back through every software combo available and it's broken on every build. As it stands it's pointless using a 3dconnexion with this bug. You would end up wasting so much time reloading 3dsmax scenes, it's totally counterproductive. This info should be clearly stated on the website.
luping

Post by luping »

Coastavis wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:39 am Did this ever work? I have gone back through every software combo available and it's broken on every build. As it stands it's pointless using a 3dconnexion with this bug. You would end up wasting so much time reloading 3dsmax scenes, it's totally counterproductive. This info should be clearly stated on the website.
It's Autodesk's fault not integrating fully the 3DxWare SDK APIs into their 3ds Max application suite. Maybe the business managers at Autodesk don't see the benefits of integrating the 3DxWare SDK APIs into their 3ds Max application code base.
invisio

Post by invisio »

if it's autodesk fault, why did you tell us we have to wait for future release.

3dconnexion should tell everybody on his website, that there tools are not usable with 3dsmax.
Coastavis

Post by Coastavis »

I totally agree, you at least clearly state these known issues. Or perhaps disable rotating cameras with your 3dconnexion devices. You have clearly tried to cover this info up. As it stands, your hardware breaks 3dsmax which in my opinion makes it incompatible. It's a real shame as your products are amazing and 3dsmax really needs something like this.
luping

Post by luping »

Coastavis wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:02 am I totally agree, you at least clearly state these known issues. Or perhaps disable rotating cameras with your 3dconnexion devices. You have clearly tried to cover this info up. As it stands, your hardware breaks 3dsmax which in my opinion makes it incompatible. It's a real shame as your products are amazing and 3dsmax really needs something like this.
No, it's not my products. I'm only an end user just like you. I happened to know this issue for some time.
luping

Post by luping »

invisio wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:51 am if it's autodesk fault, why did you tell us we have to wait for future release.

3dconnexion should tell everybody on his website, that there tools are not usable with 3dsmax.
It all seemed that Autodesk changed some of the source code to make the 3ds Max incompatible from version to version update, may be just to force its 3ds Max customers willing to pay for the license upgrade fee or yearly subscription fee. Usually for a software company, it's common practice to force the version upgrade of software in order to make money based on perpetual license sales business model. And for subscription license based business model, yearly software version upgrade also forced design data file incompatibility. Take AutoCAD for exmaple, the saved data file compatibility issue from version to version is so irritating that some AutoCAD customers threatened to ditch the AutoCAD upgrade and switch to other 2D CAD software, and Autodesk is under pressure to slow the file format incompatibility cycle from once a year to three-year cycle, so end customers will get DWG file opened by AutoCAD 2018 that saved by AutoCAD 2021. It's somehow the only way customers are willing to pay for the license upgrade or subscription fee.
claireh

Post by claireh »

Hi Coastavis, I'm trying to understand the problem a little better from my side. Over the past several months I've been trying to reproduce various camera issues in 3DsMax with no luck. Can you tell me what 3DsMax version you're using? Also, what 3DxWare version do you have?

Does the viewport ever become so unresponsive that 3DsMax crashes? If so then we may be able to get a crash dump to see what's happening.

When you mention trying to move a target and free camera I assume you are creating these cameras in 3DsMax. You aren't referring the camera and target camera modes in our driver right? (see example below)
max.png
max.png (16.88 KiB) Viewed 6551 times
Does the problem happen when only in a 3D viewport, or does it also occur when in a 2D viewport as well? If you can tell me what steps you're taking then I may be able to reproduce the issue and verify the problem.
Claire
thad

Post by thad »

Zach wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:57 am Hi Coastavis, I'm trying to understand the problem a little better from my side. Over the past several months I've been trying to reproduce various camera issues in 3DsMax with no luck. Can you tell me what 3DsMax version you're using? Also, what 3DxWare version do you have?

Does the viewport ever become so unresponsive that 3DsMax crashes? If so then we may be able to get a crash dump to see what's happening.

When you mention trying to move a target and free camera I assume you are creating these cameras in 3DsMax. You aren't referring the camera and target camera modes in our driver right? (see example below)

max.png

Does the problem happen when only in a 3D viewport, or does it also occur when in a 2D viewport as well? If you can tell me what steps you're taking then I may be able to reproduce the issue and verify the problem.

My max doesnt crash as his, but the camera keeps flipping out between the active camera and and unknown lens angle, its horrible and only happens when looking througbh the camera, on the perspective view it doesnt happen.

to me its been happening since max 2020, now on 2021, every connexion driver version since. Its a known issue amongst connexion users, its annoying to the point of me thinking if I should still be using this device.
Coastavis

Post by Coastavis »

Ive only had the device for 1.5 year but I have tried all versions of 3dsmax from 2017 with all the cominations of 3d Connexion software and for simple having a camera view active and trying to move the camera with the device makes all the view ports non responsive afterwards where I cannot select or move anything. Its like the display driver in 3dsmax crashes. Ive tried different settings in the 3dxware and its the same outcome. It simply does not work with Cameras in 3dsmax. Normal perspectiveorthographic viewports are fine. Unfortunately this makes the device unusable for me as I work with cameras in all my scenes.
claireh

Post by claireh »

thad wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:02 pm My max doesnt crash as his, but the camera keeps flipping out between the active camera and and unknown lens angle, its horrible and only happens when looking througbh the camera, on the perspective view it doesnt happen.

to me its been happening since max 2020, now on 2021, every connexion driver version since. Its a known issue amongst connexion users, its annoying to the point of me thinking if I should still be using this device.
I've seen this come up several times in support cases, but unfortunately, haven't been able to reproduce it. Any sort of icon flashing, camera jitter/instability. It's strange. I've tested with max 2017 through 2020. The version number doesn't seem to matter.

I am using an older workstation Nvidia card (Quadro K2100M). I've always wondered if the issue has something to do with this. What graphics card do you have? Are you by chance using a high refresh rate monitor? Perhaps you are using a high res monitor? (>1080p)

Is there a scene you'd be able to send me that you notice the issue on? Perhaps my testing scenarios just haven't been accurate.
Claire
Coastavis

Post by Coastavis »

Its great to hear you do not have the issue, I have a laptop with a Quadro Graphics card, and its the same deal on that as well. I run 4x1080ti graphics cards in my workstation where I have tried loads of new and old Nvidia drivers. My logic being it must have worked when the hardware was released so I tried a whole host of Nvidia drivers from that era too. I wonder whether it could be something running in the background that causes the issue, saying I have tried to use the controller on 4 different computers and all have the same issue. I don't have the device space navigator setup at the moment but I will record a video showing the issue. I have two monitors one is 4k and the other is 1440p which are both Dell. I thought maybe it was an issue running dual monitors and tested for a few days on a single screen only and exactly the same issue. Using the 3dconexion device whilst in a camera viewport instantly makes all the viewports unusable after that point as described in earlier threads. Could you show a video where you move a camera and it works? As so many people have had this issue it would be great to see it working and would give me some motivation to try fix this issue and start using it again.
thad

Post by thad »

Zach wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:57 am
thad wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:02 pm My max doesnt crash as his, but the camera keeps flipping out between the active camera and and unknown lens angle, its horrible and only happens when looking througbh the camera, on the perspective view it doesnt happen.

I've seen this come up several times in support cases, but unfortunately, haven't been able to reproduce it. Any sort of icon flashing, camera jitter/instability. It's strange. I've tested with max 2017 through 2020. The version number doesn't seem to matter.

I am using an older workstation Nvidia card (Quadro K2100M). I've always wondered if the issue has something to do with this. What graphics card do you have? Are you by chance using a high refresh rate monitor? Perhaps you are using a high res monitor? (>1080p)

Is there a scene you'd be able to send me that you notice the issue on? Perhaps my testing scenarios just haven't been accurate.
rtx 3080, always latest drivers (doesnt matter if theyre studio drivers or not). I also always have V-Ray installed.

It doesnt happen in perspective, only using the viewport through a camera, so it only bothers me when I'm in the pipeline for finishing archviz scenes and I have a viewport on a camera.

Even though currently I'm using dual screens and one of them is 144hz, it used to happen when I didn't have the 144hz one.

I'll setup some software for video capture and when I get back to work and I'll try to capture it.
thad

Post by thad »

Decided to just do the video now, apparently I cant attach an 12mb video file or 8mb rar file file so here's a download link for it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1urtpHp ... sp=sharing

Created a simple scene with cubes and a camera, just clicking on the objects prompted for the camera to switch to a non existent similar, but not equal, perspective camera. Sometimes just entering the camera makes it start to switch repeatedly without clicking at anything.