MacOS 11.00 (Big Sur)

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

ngomes

Re: MacOS 11.00 (Big Sur)

Post by ngomes »

rosenstand wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:38 am Does this mean that the Universal Receiver won't be supported? The beta notes only mention "Wireless CadMouse devices", but it sounds like all UR devices?
All wireless CadMouse types over Universal Receiver are affected by the same issue as the original CadMouse device (wired). Wireless CadMouse types over Bluetooth and cable are expected to work well in macOS 11.

SpaceMouse types over Universal Receiver are unaffected and should work fine in macOS 11 as well.
I bought a SpaceMouse Wireless 3 days ago, having already upgraded to Big Sur. Sort of works with the beta driver when cabled, but I had hoped to use it wirelessly. It would be nice to know if that will happen or not, as I hope I still have a chance to return it (3rd party seller) given the circumstances. (And buy a wired model instead.)
We expect the SpaceMouse Wireless to work well over a Universal Receiver (UR) connection. By the middle of this week, we should have released "beta 7" and you can confirm if the use of your device over UR has been restored.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Beta 7 (revision r3274) was released earlier today.

The software can be downloaded from the following FAQ web page:
https://3dconnexion.com/support/faq/bet ... 1-big-sur/

Among several fixes, SketchUp support is again available (including for version 2021 released last week) and addressed the "lock rotation" button problem affecting the SpaceMouse Enterprise.

We're currently working on "beta 8" aiming to address the performance issue with the SpaceMouse Pro (issue tracked with reference MAC-255).

The problem (MAC-241) with Cinema 4D remains our top priority but we don't yet have an estimate when we might have it addressed.
lbeale

Post by lbeale »

Hello,

I just installed Beta 7, and am still having the issue of the middle mouse button click/click hold not functioning after sleep when connected to bluetooth (Cadmouse Compact Wireless). Main software is Onshape on Chrome browser.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi lbeale,
lbeale wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:58 am I just installed Beta 7, and am still having the issue of the middle mouse button click/click hold not functioning after sleep when connected to bluetooth (Cadmouse Compact Wireless).
We're tracking this issue as MAC-240. The problem remains open as of beta 7.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

Beta 7
Enterprise

Dark Mode on Display not legible, contrast too low, too bright.
If I switch too macOS bright mode, Enterprise Display does not switch
back to bright mode by itself. I have to un- and re-plug USB cable.
Unfortunately it does switch to non legible dark mode automatically
again as soon as I switch macOS dark, but not back .....

Modo 14.2
Enterprise works normally

Cinema4D R20
only Fit View button seems to work, no 3D Nav at all

Vectorworks 2021
only View related Buttons work, no 3D Nav at all

Bricscad V20
only View related Buttons work, no 3D Nav at all

Blender 292
3D Nav works great, Buttons do not work except Virtual Num Pad.

Twinmotion
no 3D Nav, just some jittering minimal zoom, no buttons
rosenstand

Post by rosenstand »

ngomes wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:33 am
rosenstand wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:38 am Does this mean that the Universal Receiver won't be supported? The beta notes only mention "Wireless CadMouse devices", but it sounds like all UR devices?
All wireless CadMouse types over Universal Receiver are affected by the same issue as the original CadMouse device (wired). Wireless CadMouse types over Bluetooth and cable are expected to work well in macOS 11.

SpaceMouse types over Universal Receiver are unaffected and should work fine in macOS 11 as well.
I bought a SpaceMouse Wireless 3 days ago, having already upgraded to Big Sur. Sort of works with the beta driver when cabled, but I had hoped to use it wirelessly. It would be nice to know if that will happen or not, as I hope I still have a chance to return it (3rd party seller) given the circumstances. (And buy a wired model instead.)
We expect the SpaceMouse Wireless to work well over a Universal Receiver (UR) connection. By the middle of this week, we should have released "beta 7" and you can confirm if the use of your device over UR has been restored.
I chickened out and reinstalled Catalina on my iMac. The SpaceMouse Wireless works extremely well on that. So well that I today bought a CadMouse Pro Wireless + Pad to complement it :)

MacBook is still on Big Sur, will try both devices on beta 7 there in a couple of days.Thanks
jayshay

Post by jayshay »

I see there is no timeline on Cinema4D. Is this a Maxon issue that you need help on? Should we be vocal on their forum too?
KlaudioPer

Post by KlaudioPer »

zoomer wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:17 am Beta 7
Enterprise

Dark Mode on Display not legible, contrast too low, too bright.
If I switch too macOS bright mode, Enterprise Display does not switch
back to bright mode by itself. I have to un- and re-plug USB cable.
Unfortunately it does switch to non legible dark mode automatically
again as soon as I switch macOS dark, but not back .....

Zoomer made a really good point here!! I mean I didn't know that the dark/bright mode also affects the behavior of the SME screen. I always been using the dark mode on my Mac and it has been impossible to read the display on the SME because of the bright contrast.

Here is the question: will it be possible to keep the bright mode on the SME while using the dark mode on the Mac?? Since the dark mode is completely useless on the SME I guess is an easy fix for this problem :roll: :lol:
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi jayshay,
jayshay wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:19 pm I see there is no timeline on Cinema4D. Is this a Maxon issue that you need help on? Should we be vocal on their forum too?
We don't know yet. If we determine there's an issue with Cinema 4D, we will get in touch with Maxon and also let our customers, users of the application, also know.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

KlaudioPer wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:38 am Here is the question: will it be possible to keep the bright mode on the SME while using the dark mode on the Mac?? Since the dark mode is completely useless on the SME I guess is an easy fix for this problem :roll: :lol:
We will want to look into this since improving the experience is important but, currently, this sort of issues is very down on our priority list. We're focusing on restoring basic functionality.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

rosenstand wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:36 pm reinstalled Catalina on my iMac. The SpaceMouse Wireless works extremely well on that.
What driver version are you using on your iMac?
KlaudioPer

Post by KlaudioPer »

ngomes wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:02 am
KlaudioPer wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:38 am Here is the question: will it be possible to keep the bright mode on the SME while using the dark mode on the Mac?? Since the dark mode is completely useless on the SME I guess is an easy fix for this problem :roll: :lol:
We will want to look into this since improving the experience is important but, currently, this sort of issues is very down on our priority list. We're focusing on restoring basic functionality.
Yes it does make sense, but hopefully even this bug will be fixed soon. Don't forget that the main reason we bought the SME was the efficiency to have the commands of the application in use duplicated on the screen, in order to have a faster workflow.
RVeldhuyzen

Post by RVeldhuyzen »

So after removing the driver and reinstalling it the crashes in Maya seemed to reduce, but they are not gone. What I think is happening is Maya crashes due to too many operations being done at the same time. Maya has a tendency to do that, click too many times while it is doing something (or accidentally touch the scroll area on a Magic Mouse when opening a menu) and it freaks out and crashes. Since the viewport glitches the Space Navigator cause essentially seem to run the viewport/camera through a whole bunch of movements in a single millisecond, I guess Maya freaks out because of that and crashes.

Apart from the camera location glitching I have also noticed objects disappearing from the scene occasionally. Like, gone forever. An object is there in plain view, the viewport glitches, and the object is gone. Undo doesn't bring it back, saving and reopening the file doesn't bring it back, the only way to get it back is to open a previous version f the scene, so I'm saving even more than I used to now :P
Sometimes an object visually distorts like the vertices are scattered all throughout the scene. But (de)selecting the object or another one fixes it sometimes, other times saving and reopening the scene fixes it.

Also, could you please elaborate on the Maya viewport glitching issue, noted as MAC-183 in the previous thread on it, was that ever actually fixed? Is this a new instance of it, or have you just never gotten around to fixing it? Back in February I was experiencing it with 10.6.4 and I "fixed" it by finding an older driver somewhere on the web, I used that driver ever since (10.6.3) without issues. Until the Big Sur update since that drive doesn't work anymore, so I'm not sure if the issue was ever resolved or if it has just been around for 10 months without a fix.

I was looking to upgrade my navigator to a SpaceMouse Pro Wireless this month, but I'm not sure I want to shell out the dough if there is a possibility the main software I am using it for will remain buggy for another year.

And I'll also echo rosenstand's comment about the fact that you are actively commenting and answering our questions here, that seems to be very rare nowadays and it is very much appreciated :)
It's time to roll the dice...
Peter Fagerberg

Post by Peter Fagerberg »

In an attempt to get some SpaceMouse functionality I spent a few hours trying to run Cinema 4d on Windows in a VMware Fusion 12 Player setup. Unfortunately, I couldn't get Cinema 4D to work but the SpaceMouse works well. I was thinking that this could have been a temporary solution until a new Big Sur driver comes along...

Anyway, here's what I did in case someone more knowledgeable would like to give it a try:
  • Install Windows 10 in a virtual machine
  • Install 3Dconnexion Windows drivers (3DxWare64_v10-7-0_r3248)
  • Install Cinema 4D R23.110
The problem I have is that Cinema 4D doesn't play well with this setup. It starts and everything initially looks great but the viewport doesn't update. I'm not a Windows user so all the Windows abbreviations and config options are way above my head. Maybe there's just a little setup switch somewhere that I missed... :-)
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Peter,
Peter Fagerberg wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:04 am The problem I have is that Cinema 4D doesn't play well with this setup. It starts and everything initially looks great but the viewport doesn't update.
All virtual machines running on macOS have a limitation with 3D graphics acceleration. Even macOS installed on a virtual machine doesn't support 3D acceleration. You may be tripping on this issue.