MacOS 11.00 (Big Sur)

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

ngomes

Re: MacOS 11.00 (Big Sur)

Post by ngomes »

RVeldhuyzen wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:51 am Also, could you please elaborate on the Maya viewport glitching issue, noted as MAC-183 in the previous thread on it, was that ever actually fixed?
Just had a look. The fix for MAC-183 was delivered in driver v. 10.6.5 back in March of this year.

Either the fix is only partial or you're seeing something differ. I suspect this would be unrelated to the new driver and/or macOS 11.

And I'll also echo rosenstand's comment about the fact that you are actively commenting and answering our questions here, that seems to be very rare nowadays and it is very much appreciated :)
On the team's behalf, thank you. We decided to have Engineering engaging directly with customers here, in the Forum, whilst we work to restore functionality. Our colleagues in Tech Support are manning other channels.

It was a disappointment not being ready when macOS 11 come out but we will continue to work until the new driver is finished.

You may be wondering what "finished" actually means. To us, we consider the driver as being done when we have restored functionality as driver v. 10.6.6 on macOS 10.15 with the exception of Universal Receiver support for wireless CadMouse pairings.
RVeldhuyzen

Post by RVeldhuyzen »

ngomes wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:25 am
RVeldhuyzen wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:51 am Also, could you please elaborate on the Maya viewport glitching issue, noted as MAC-183 in the previous thread on it, was that ever actually fixed?
Just had a look. The fix for MAC-183 was delivered in driver v. 10.6.5 back in March of this year.

Either the fix is only partial or you're seeing something differ. I suspect this would be unrelated to the new driver and/or macOS 11.
Interesting, this is the video I shared in February with the issue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjmd1b0-TLs running 10.6.4 in Catalina.
I "fixed" this by switching back to 10.6.3 I found on the web somewhere. When you released 10.6.5 I tried that, which didn't solve my issue so I went back to 10.6.3. I can't remember if I tried 10.6.6 after that, or if I didn't bother.

This is what I am experiencing right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV2yh1sUa-A with this latest and the previous betas you have shared. Same issue just less frequent.

Now, you mentioned the issue was fixed in 10.6.5, I just installed Maya 2020 on a Macbook pro running Catalina. Clean, Maya hasn't been on this machine before, neither has the navigator been connected to it. I installed 10.6.6 (currently on your drivers page) and this has the exact issue you're seeing in the video's. I tried the latest beta there for good measure, same issue.

So from what I can tell the issue has never been resolved, or my navigator is broken. But the navigator being broken doesn't track with it working fine with 10.6.3.

I can't find the 1.6.3 installer anywhere anymore, the site I got it from before now only lists 10.6.6. Is there any chance you can share that installer with my so I can test that on the macbook? Would be helpful to see if that "fixes" the problem on the macbook too.
It's time to roll the dice...
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

RVeldhuyzen wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:43 am I can't find the 1.6.3 installer anywhere anymore, the site I got it from before now only lists 10.6.6. Is there any chance you can share that installer with my so I can test that on the macbook? Would be helpful to see if that "fixes" the problem on the macbook too.
I see 10.6.5 also available in the download "archive" but 10.6.3 isn't there.

I recommend reaching out to my colleagues in the Tech Support team and requesting that software. You will want to mention the "glitching" in Maya as the reason why you need to downgrade.
RVeldhuyzen

Post by RVeldhuyzen »

ngomes wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:20 am
RVeldhuyzen wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:43 am I can't find the 1.6.3 installer anywhere anymore, the site I got it from before now only lists 10.6.6. Is there any chance you can share that installer with my so I can test that on the macbook? Would be helpful to see if that "fixes" the problem on the macbook too.
I see 10.6.5 also available in the download "archive" but 10.6.3 isn't there.

I recommend reaching out to my colleagues in the Tech Support team and requesting that software. You will want to mention the "glitching" in Maya as the reason why you need to downgrade.
Just sent the request. I'll keep you informed if I find out anything new.
It's time to roll the dice...
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

ngomes wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:02 am
KlaudioPer wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:38 am Here is the question: will it be possible to keep the bright mode on the SME while using the dark mode on the Mac?? Since the dark mode is completely useless on the SME I guess is an easy fix for this problem :roll: :lol:
We will want to look into this since improving the experience is important but, currently, this sort of issues is very down on our priority list. We're focusing on restoring basic functionality.
Hmmh, yes,
as long as there are no functions available, it doesn't matter much how they display.

But as soon as they are back, I think ineligibility is an important issue.

On the other hand, I am really positive surprised that 3DConnexion thought about the
dark mode at all. As I use dark mode at night in a darkened room, the Enterprise
bright display can really be annoying and distracting.
So I think a dark mode for Enterprise Display is a huge feature !
Just that the Background should be much darker and Text still not 100% white.
(currently it is just light gray text over nearly light gray background)

One of my most beloved Big Sur features is that it can automatically switch between
dark or bright mode between day and night. And I use that feature.
And it would be great if at on day, Enterprise has a working display dark mode and
switching between according to OS settings (but in both directions)
loki eliot

Post by loki eliot »

Im watching the thread with hope that i can regain support for my SpaceNavigator with Second Life. For over a decade i've been using a Spacenavigator to contrast virtual worlds. I sometimes forget how vital this little gadget is to the speed and flow of my creativity from quickly moving my view about the virtual space to build, and for capturing cinematic moments at virtual events. On Big Sur the Beta Drivers remove support for Second Life completely. I have to instead remove the 3DConnexion drivers to regain partial support. What im left with is basic movement that also seems to effect MacOS Finder cursor and options. this is slowing work down to a crawl as i have to be careful not to trigger unwanted actions or loose site of the cursor.

I understand that 3Dconnexion and LindenLab/SecondLife have an odd history, so i'm not entirely sure who i should be going to about support. For years now it's been knowing wether it's 3Dconnexion who ads support for the Spacenavigator on Second Life or Linden lab.

If you get it working again, i will buy a brand new SpaceNav, or what ever its now called to celebrate. :D
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

HI loki eliot,
loki eliot wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:23 am On Big Sur the Beta Drivers remove support for Second Life completely.
We are aware about this issue but we do not know what underlying issue is.

I understand that 3Dconnexion and LindenLab/SecondLife have an odd history, so i'm not entirely sure who i should be going to about support. For years now it's been knowing wether it's 3Dconnexion who ads support for the Spacenavigator on Second Life or Linden lab.
I wouldn't use the term "odd" but it is true some vendors prefer use to system interfaces instead of the 3Dconnexion framework. As such, I'd recommend to report the problem to Linden Lab. We are always available to assist any vendor with SpaceMouse integrations.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

3Dconnexion has released firmware v. 1.11 for the CadMouse Wireless, restoring button functionality in macOS 11.

Refer to the FAQ page here and click on the "requires firmware version 1.11 or newer" link.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:39 am 3Dconnexion has released firmware v. 1.11 for the CadMouse Wireless, restoring button functionality in macOS 11.

Refer to the FAQ page here and click on the "requires firmware version 1.11 or newer" link.
Many thanks to the whole team!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:15 pm Many thanks to the whole team!
It is us, 3Dconnexion, that should be doing all the thanking. We really appreciate your patience whilst we work to recover full support on macOS 11.

Thank you, marcarch.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

3Dconnexon released "beta 8" (revision r3277) of the new driver for macOS. The new build can be downloaded from the FAQ page linked here.

Among other fixes, we believe to have resolved the Cinema 4D issue (MAC-241) and to close the issue we only confirmation from our customers.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:05 am 3Dconnexon released "beta 8" (revision r3277) of the new driver for macOS. The new build can be downloaded from the FAQ page linked here.

Among other fixes, we believe to have resolved the Cinema 4D issue (MAC-241) and to close the issue we only confirmation from our customers.
Thank you for the quick release.
Just a nerd curiosity, why does the installer keeps asking for a System Restart after installation, even if the driver isn't a kext anymore?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:03 am why does the installer keeps asking for a System Restart after installation, even if the driver isn't a kext anymore?
To cater for updates over driver v. 10.6.6 on macOS 10.15.x and older.

Also, we're still looking at implementing a dext to improve the handling of our devices on macOS 11 and newer. Since a restart may also be necessary (not sure here), we're leaving the request for the time being.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

I found a bug, just submitted via the form on the support page. I post it here too just in case someone is having the same issue:
CadMouse Wireless (firmware 1.11) Buttons from 3 to 7 are ignored after the beta driver installation.
Turning off and back on bluetooth helps restoring buttons 5-6-7, while button 3 and 4 are still ignored.
(they work without the driver)
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

marcarch wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:29 am I found a bug, just submitted via the form on the support page. I post it here too just in case someone is having the same issue:
CadMouse Wireless (firmware 1.11) Buttons from 3 to 7 are ignored after the beta driver installation.
Turning off and back on bluetooth helps restoring buttons 5-6-7, while button 3 and 4 are still ignored.
(they work without the driver)
Remapping any CMW button to 2D Mouse - Click Buttons from 3 to 8 doesn't work: they are ignored.