MacOS 11.00 (Big Sur)

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

marcarch

Re: MacOS 11.00 (Big Sur)

Post by marcarch »

marcarch wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:34 am
marcarch wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:29 am I found a bug, just submitted via the form on the support page. I post it here too just in case someone is having the same issue:
CadMouse Wireless (firmware 1.11) Buttons from 3 to 7 are ignored after the beta driver installation.
Turning off and back on bluetooth helps restoring buttons 5-6-7, while button 3 and 4 are still ignored.
(they work without the driver)
Remapping any CMW button to 2D Mouse - Click Buttons from 3 to 8 doesn't work: they are ignored.
I'm sorry for the sequential posting.
In order to restore Button 3 functionality I had to uninstall the driver, delete the CMW from paired devices and re-pair it.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:34 am Remapping any CMW button to 2D Mouse - Click Buttons from 3 to 8 doesn't work: they are ignored.
Yes. This is an known problem with those actions. It's not limited to the CadMouse Wireless (CMW).

How are you verifying the operation of buttons 3 to 8?

For example, button 3 (middle mouse button) can be checked using Terminal to paste in the selected text but how about the remaining buttons? We'd like to learn more about these use cases.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:12 am How are you verifying the operation of buttons 3 to 8?

For example, button 3 (middle mouse button) can be checked using Terminal to paste in the selected text but how about the remaining buttons? We'd like to learn more about these use cases.
I'm only trying buttons in the softwares I use most.
Button 3 is used a lot in CAD softwares: in SketchUp is Orbit, in AutoCAD is Pan etc., in web browsers is used to quickly open a link in another tab.
It's probably the first reason I bought a CadMouse years ago: a dedicated button 3 (not under the scroll wheel).

Buttons 4-5-6-7... I never used them, actually I don't even know if the OS (macOS or Win) recognizes them without a dedicated driver installed. In Big Sur buttons from 4 to 7 are all button 3.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

ngomes wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:05 am 3Dconnexon released "beta 8" (revision r3277) of the new driver for macOS. The new build can be downloaded from the FAQ page linked here.

Among other fixes, we believe to have resolved the Cinema 4D issue (MAC-241) and to close the issue we only confirmation from our customers.

looks like that brought back 3D Navigation to C4D, Vectorworks and Bricscad !

Thanks a lot !

(BTW Not yet tested any Buttons on Enterprise)
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

zoomer wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:54 am looks like that brought back 3D Navigation to C4D, Vectorworks and Bricscad !
Thank you, zoomer. We appreciate the information. We did not yet have an independent confirmation for BricsCAD.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:53 am Buttons 4-5-6-7... I never used them, actually I don't even know if the OS (macOS or Win) recognizes them without a dedicated driver installed. In Big Sur buttons from 4 to 7 are all button 3.
Understood. We're looking at resolving the issue with button 3.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

ngomes wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:55 pm Thank you, zoomer. We appreciate the information. We did not yet have an independent confirmation for BricsCAD.
Just somehow I lost "Lock Horizon" in Bricscad.

Buttons 1-12 basically work.
Button 1-3 seems to work fine.
But many others seem to be mixed up or just duplicated.
Looks a bit like my Macros "Select All" on Button 9 appears over the whole
lower button row 7-12.

Also for left Button side, SHIFT, ALT, ...
ESC + ENTER seem to work, CTRL and such not so. Maybe they are also just mixed up.

Some right side View Navigation buttons do work, like ISO and Fit View,
the others not so.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

looks like the Enterprise Button mismatch is OS wide,
not only App specific.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

And as expected,

for CADMouse USB,
no sign of life showing for any of the Buttons.
Just Cursor Movements and Scroll Wheel.

Original Space Navigator seems to work well.
Peter Fagerberg

Post by Peter Fagerberg »

YES! SpaceMouse plays well with Cinema 4D again!! Thank you for fixing this! :D :D :D
Before this ordeal, I had no idea how much I depended on the little critter - keyboard navigation just sucks when you're used to a 3D mouse.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:56 pm Understood. We're looking at resolving the issue with button 3.
Just discovered that without 3Dx driver installed what I call button 4 (under the wheel) is mapped as button 3 by default, this is fine.
While the usage of other buttons depends by the software: arrows buttons are always recognized in Chromium browsers as back-forward commands, in Rhinoceros are also recognized.
While in Safari and other softwares (SketchUp, AutoCAD, Vectorworks) are hijacked as Botton 3.

Of course 3Dx driver enhances all of this, but yes, standard buttons 3-4-5 should be restored in the driver.
Kiera Rae

Post by Kiera Rae »

loki eliot wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:23 am Im watching the thread with hope that i can regain support for my SpaceNavigator with Second Life. For over a decade i've been using a Spacenavigator to contrast virtual worlds. I sometimes forget how vital this little gadget is to the speed and flow of my creativity from quickly moving my view about the virtual space to build, and for capturing cinematic moments at virtual events. On Big Sur the Beta Drivers remove support for Second Life completely. I have to instead remove the 3DConnexion drivers to regain partial support. What im left with is basic movement that also seems to effect MacOS Finder cursor and options. this is slowing work down to a crawl as i have to be careful not to trigger unwanted actions or loose site of the cursor.

I understand that 3Dconnexion and LindenLab/SecondLife have an odd history, so i'm not entirely sure who i should be going to about support. For years now it's been knowing wether it's 3Dconnexion who ads support for the Spacenavigator on Second Life or Linden lab.

If you get it working again, i will buy a brand new SpaceNav, or what ever its now called to celebrate. :D
I am having the same issue, it worked for the past 12 years and now nothing. I use firestorm.
lbeale

Post by lbeale »

I have two possible issues with the latest beta driver: First, the radial menu button doesn't seem to work at all. Second, I can't seem to disable smart scrolling in any way - this is with a CadMouse Compact and CadMouse Compact Wireless. It would be helpful to know if anyone else is experiencing these issues.
lbeale

Post by lbeale »

Hi,

I'm having the following issues with the CadMouse Wireless and Compact Wireless with the latest Beta driver (both still drop connection and have to be disconnected from bluetooth, powercycled and re-connected after sleep). The RM tools/views button is non-functional and the smart scroll feature is impossible to disable (clicking on smart scroll from the 3DConnexion pane doesn't make a change).
RVeldhuyzen

Post by RVeldhuyzen »

RVeldhuyzen wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:42 am
ngomes wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:20 am
RVeldhuyzen wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:43 am I can't find the 1.6.3 installer anywhere anymore, the site I got it from before now only lists 10.6.6. Is there any chance you can share that installer with my so I can test that on the macbook? Would be helpful to see if that "fixes" the problem on the macbook too.
I see 10.6.5 also available in the download "archive" but 10.6.3 isn't there.

I recommend reaching out to my colleagues in the Tech Support team and requesting that software. You will want to mention the "glitching" in Maya as the reason why you need to downgrade.
Just sent the request. I'll keep you informed if I find out anything new.
Well, it's been a week without a response to my request for the older drive, any chance you can help there ngomes?

In the mean time I checked the navigator on both the iMac I normally use it on and the Macbook Pro running Catalina with the demo's in the driver. Those demo's work perfectly fine, no weird movements or data spikes visible there (though the viewport for the crate rotation demo is only the lower quarter of the window size). So it seems the Space Navigator is perfectly fine, like I suspected. The Maya glitching is a software issue, not a hardware one.
So installing the 10.6.3 driver on the older macbook should make it work perfectly fine in Maya.
It's time to roll the dice...