10.7.1: 3dxWare stopped unexpectedly

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Phil999

10.7.1: 3dxWare stopped unexpectedly

Post by Phil999 »

I didn't update the driver for months, probably using version 10.5.14, and everything worked well. Today I decided to update to 10.7.1. Unfortunately I get the '3dxWare stopped unexpectedly' error message every time I try to manually start the driver, and after every reboot. The error appears also with the device detached.

The device (Space Mouse Enterprise) is working well on the same machine, same port, on a parallel OS installation (dual boot), running version 10.5.14.

What should I do? I would like to use the 10.7.1 driver's new features.
Space Navigator x2, Space Pilot, Space Pilot Pro, SpaceMouse Enterprise
Phil999

Re: 10.7.1: 3dxWare stopped unexpectedly

Post by Phil999 »

the strange thing is, after de-installing version 10.7.1 and installing version 10.5.14, the problem persists. The driver does not start, neither automatically nor manually. Now I have a real problem, the Space Mouse Enterprise cannot be used anymore.
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

this is very strange. After another reboot I've lost the Wacom tablet settings, and cannot connect to the network anymore. I believe there is something funny going on with my operating system, possibly unrelated to 3dx drivers.
jwick

Post by jwick »

I'd like to see the dmp files from those crashes. You can run the diagnostics program (shift right click on the 3Dx systray icon) to collect everything I'd need. It writes a big zip file you can send me.

The cfg file format changed (slightly) a few releases ago. It will to upgrade your user files--no guarantee. It'll only upgrade one level.

I'd say backup your user files somewhere. Then delete them. See if that fixes your crash. I may need to help you bring your old cfg files forward (but your an expert at that already).

Jim
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

after a clean install, the 10.5.14 driver is working again. However, when I moved the xml profiles back to the Cfg folder, the driver crashed again. I think I've narrowed down the problem:

- when the Windows 10 OS is set to automatically start the Explorer after a reboot, the current xml profile for Explorer may crash 3dxWare. The driver cannot be started manually.

- removing the Explorer.xml and Explorer_Background.xml (whatever the latter is, I have no idea) from the Cfg folder solves the problem. The driver will start automatically after reboot, and can be started and stopped manually.

- a new profile can be created for Explorer.

- everything works as it should, no driver problems anymore.

Besides, the Wacom tablet and network connection problems did occur simultaneously by coincidence. There is a bug in the Wacom driver too, and the network usually connects instantly after reboot, but sometimes it takes a couple of minutes.
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

thank you jwick for your quick reply, I've seen it after posting. Indeed it is what you say, the xml files.
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

driver version 10.7.1 installed successfully.

But with empty Cfg folder. Importing 3dxz files also leads to crashing the driver. It looks like we have to recreate all profiles. I have about 60 profiles. Also for installers, desktop, notepad++, etc., you know, not important stuff. I control my entire system with my 3dx devices.

Can you say that this time the xml and 3dxz file format will stay for a while?
jwick

Post by jwick »

Could you email me that old 3dxz file package? I'd like to see why it crashes the driver.
If the files are more than one level old, it should simply reject them. There must be a case I didn't account for.

I'm not planning on making structural changes that affect user files. I think we are good for a while.
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

glad to hear there will be no changes for the xml profile format. And many thanks for your assistance after all these years, this is an excellent service. I have sent you the 3dxz file.