macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

cjadams

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by cjadams »

NONONONONO... .your still not getting it!
IGNORE The MOuse part..

In zbrush.. you simply HOLD DOWN keybaord keys..
These "preset" keys on the spacemosue just aren't sending "keystroke" info to the programs.

They somehow DO work inside like Textedit for example if i HOLD down SHIFT on the spacemouse and type with the keyboard it DOES do upper case.
BUT for some reason Zbrush is NOT seeing them as "Keyboard" modifiers.. at all.
So they are getting to the system.. at least shift key is.. but only for typing text.. not for transmitting the "SHIFT" keystroke for some reason.. and that i think is DIFFERNET to what you are saying regarding mouse. This thread is confusing a few things..

1 - some mentioned issues with CADMouse.. others talking modifier keys on SPACEmouse and i'm talking sending keyboard commands like normal from SpaceMOUSE enterprise that has "Dedicated" SHIFT CTRL ALT functions.. that only partly work. just to be specific.
There appears to be some that "just work fine" IE Spacebar and Tab. AND it appears that SHIFT partly works for typeing text but zbrush as an example DOESN'T see the SHIFT modifier as a Keystroke oddly.. This might be a Zbrush ONLY thing.. or something. Because MacOS DOES seem to see the shift modifer just fine when holding down for typing text entry in say test edit or other programs. NOT sure why Zbrush just doesn't see that as TEXT either but it seems to do NOTHING in zbrush.. FYI..
This has NOTHING to do with moving the COMPUTER mouse or Cadmouse. Just using the modifiers as their normal use similar to how you hold down say command to rotate your view in maya or something.. is what i'm talking about.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cjadams wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:59 am In zbrush.. you simply HOLD DOWN keybaord keys..
[...]
They somehow DO work inside like Textedit for example if i HOLD down SHIFT on the spacemouse and type with the keyboard it DOES do upper case.
BUT for some reason Zbrush is NOT seeing them as "Keyboard" modifiers.. at all.
The reason why ZBrush is not getting them is the same why the mouse (normal mouse) isn't either.

But why does it work when I press a modifier and another key, you ask? Because we're using a system API to filter the keyboard events. In other words, we are "tapping" into the keyboard stream and setting a flag when the modifier button in the SpaceMouse is held down. As far as we can tell, the system API does not allow a modifier key events on their own.

We lost the ability to inject modifier keys after support for kernel extensions was removed in macOS 11. This "injection" happens at kernel level and was just like if a keyboard was connected to the system. Until we can reimplement the feature using a "DriverKit Extension" (dext), we won't have the same experience. And we have tried. Since WWDC 2019.

We will return to DriverKit soon. It looks like progress has been made in the last month or so and we're helpful it will eventually work for us but, for now, we need to use the user mode system API with its limitations.
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

AHH ok.. that would explain it! Thank you.. Framing it in those terms makes much more sense!

ODD that isn't a part of apple's api though...
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:39 am We lost the ability to inject modifier keys after support for kernel extensions was removed in macOS 11. This "injection" happen at kernel level and was just like if a keyboard was connected to the system. Until we can reimplement the feature using a "DriverKit Extension" (dext), we won't have the same experience. And we have tried. Since WWDC 2019.
Did you try Accessibility APIs too?
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

Ohhh not a bad idea!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:07 am Did you try Accessibility APIs too?
We looked into that, yes. As far as I can remember, AppKit Accessibility wraps around what we're using (Core Graphics).

A DriverKit Extension would work great and should offer the best experience.
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

What does apple do when you modify the command/control/option keys in system prefs? can you take extended keyboard keys and swap their hex or something?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cjadams wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:29 am What does apple do when you modify the command/control/option keys in system prefs? can you take extended keyboard keys and swap their hex or something?
Not sure follow your question but we have no more insight on what Apple is doing than everybody else.
Jumpjim

Post by Jumpjim »

Google Earth Pro isn't working with the latest driver.

It's the only thing I use my Spacemouse for so I'm keen to see that working again if possible.

Thanks
davantbar

Post by davantbar »

Using wired SpaceMouse Pro for zbrush 2021.5.1 on MacOS Big Sur 11.1 ~ Shift/Control/Alt modifer keys on the device do nothing. These are absolutely essential for zbrush users. I do hope this issue can be resolved as soon as possible. I suppose I could hot-glue my Wacom EK Remote on the left hand side of this SpaceMouse Pro in the meantime... (same issue with modo 14.2v1)
kittonian

Post by kittonian »

Just opened up my new Space Mouse Compact and installed the latest Big Sur beta. It works wonderfully in Cinema 4D but not so much in ArchiCAD 24. I tried to setup the buttons and they don’t change to my keyboard shortcuts. Also, in the 2D window the navigation is extremely choppy. The 3D window navigation is nice and smooth. Any thoughts?
peteryip

Post by peteryip »

I have updated the driver as well as the firmware as suggested, now my mouse has lost all of its function.

None of the light would lit up (apart from the green light at the back when plug in with a cable) and it doesnt have any movement nor any of the button works. It simply wouldnt response at all.

Please advise.
RodMaxwell

Post by RodMaxwell »

ngomes wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:33 am
RodMaxwell wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:58 pm Even the "Control, ALT, Shift" generic presets don't seem to work in ZBrush.
There's a known issue in "beta 9" (revision r3278) and older that causes keystroke actions with modifier keys (Shift, Control, Option, Cmd) to not work in macOS 11. We expect to have this resolved in "beta 10". A similar issue affecting "2D Mouse" action remains pending.
Thank you!
Rod:)
Antonello

Post by Antonello »

I Guys,
Tipe Keystroke doesn't work in Sketchup pro 2021...
Thanks
spido

Post by spido »

It seems to me that the Supported Operating Systems, Apple macOS section is incorrect given the lengthy discussion in this forum topic. I am concluding that the modifier keys (shift, command, control, option, etc) are not currently supported as standalone detectable key presses on any 3Dconnexion device due to issues in working with Apple APIs.

Also, I've seen it noted that 3Dconnection devices cannot be used to both move and sculpt on a ZBrush model at the same time. Model navigation and sculpting are mutually exclusive actions. I've also seen it reported that there must be a time gap between sculpting and navigation due to the way the system is processing events.

I conclude from this that the Enterprise and Pro editions of the SpaceMouse are not yet viable for use with ZBrush due to the issues with modifier keys. 3Dconnexion really needs to get in front of this seeing that ZBrush just announced 3Dconnexion support. You are going to have a number of people buy your products only to find they don't work properly. That is a loss for both parties. I suggest publishing a technical note on what specific functions do and do not work with ZBrush. The product looks fantastic. It is disappointing to see the possibility of it falling into disuse due to failed messaging.