macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

ngomes

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by ngomes »

zoomer wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:07 pm What, no new firmware for me ?
Old device, may be.
I think it is from 2004 or so.
It's unlikely that we will have newer firmware for such an old device. AS mention, it has a different architecture from from recent SpaceNavigators.

What is the problem that you're trying to solve by updating your SpaceNavigator?
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

ngomes wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:14 pm
What is the problem that you're trying to solve by updating your SpaceNavigator?
Newer Firmware is always better.

No, I was just kidding.
I was always really happy that the original Space Navigator still works with current
OSs. Even on Apple Silicon Big Sur machines.

And honestly, over those 15 years or so of usage, until this day, it worked much more
flawlessly and reliable than any device that came after. Original SN was bomb proof.
McTTRS

Post by McTTRS »

ngomes wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:23 am
McTTRS wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:00 pm Got a SpaceMouse Compact for use with Google Earth on my Big Sur Mac based on assurances from 3DConnexion support that it worked fine. Has anyone gotten this to work or is it a just a case misrepresentation by support?
We can't tell one way or the other.

Can you give us some context of what you were told, how did you contact support and when? My colleagues can then take the information and see why you weren't told about the Google Earth issues.
I had an old SpaceNavigator and originally called (David I think) to try and get it working on BIG Sur. I was told that my device was no longer supported but that any of the new devices would work so I bought a SpaceMouse Compact from Amazon base on the support persons assurances it would work. In his defense, your website (https://3dconnexion.com/uk/supported-so ... stem=macos) indicates that Google Earth works. Another call this AM to support (Abdul) said they knew about the problem. Apparently Google Earth developers are too smart to use the supplied SDK and attempt (badly) to talk to the devices directly.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

McTTRS wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:55 pm Apparently Google Earth developers are too smart to use the supplied SDK and attempt (badly) to talk to the devices directly.
I don't know if we can state the above as a fact since we don't know enough about this issue.

Other applications seem to have related issues. Second Life, for example, also has a problem and they too get the 3D mouse data straight from the system.

Blender also bypasses our frameworks and works fine for their users.
LeonMaritz

Post by LeonMaritz »

ngomes wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:36 am
LeonMaritz wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:59 am Cadmouse connected via dongle
A wireless CadMouse connected over dongle is not supported on macOS 11. Please review the information on the relevant FAQ page for the beta driver (there's a link in the top post of this thread).

We suggest using the device in Bluetooth on macOS 11. Note you can use your CadMouse connected with a cable to set up Bluetooth.
Preferences menu is blank.
This is unexpected. Can you please share your system's details?
I have downloaded the lates BETA 3295. CadMouse is connected via Bluetooth. The problem still persist that the CadMuse is not working. The curser can move around but none of the buttons is working and I can not click on anything?

Preferences menu is not black anymore.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

LeonMaritz wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:08 am I have downloaded the lates BETA 3295. CadMouse is connected via Bluetooth. The problem still persist that the CadMuse is not working. The curser can move around but none of the buttons is working and I can not click on anything?
If you have a "CadMouse Wireless" device ("CadMouse" is the product name of a wired device), then you need ensure you have firmware v. 1.11 or newer. Please refer to the FAQ page linked from the top post in this top.

If assistance is required, note that you can always reach our technical support team (contact details here).
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Is there a fix for Big sur and sketchup pro 2021 that works yet?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Dawn wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:02 am Is there a fix for Big sur and sketchup pro 2021 that works yet?
We're are not tracking any open issues with SketchUp.

On macOS, modifier key emulation has limitations but that affects all applications, not just SketchUp. This may or may not an issue to you.
McTTRS

Post by McTTRS »

ngomes wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:15 am
McTTRS wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:55 pm Apparently Google Earth developers are too smart to use the supplied SDK and attempt (badly) to talk to the devices directly.
I don't know if we can state the above as a fact since we don't know enough about this issue.
Abdul stated that the problem in Google's case was related to Google's lack of use of the SDK. The editorial comment about the smartness of doing so is mine having worked for a CAD developer that supports 3DConnexion devices. Sorry if I went too far.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

Is there a way to restart 3Dx Core services on macOS?
I use CMW via bluetooth on my Mac with macOS and Win (Bootcamp).
Unfortunately I have to pair the CMW-bluetooth every time I change OS, but noticed that an additional macOS restart is needed after macOS pairing, otherwise 3Dx driver doesn't recon CWM 3Dx inputs (it works as standard bluetooth mouse).

Closing all 3Dx processes in Activity Monitor doesn't work.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:46 am Is there a way to restart 3Dx Core services on macOS?
Closing all 3Dx processes in Activity Monitor doesn't work.
Use Activity Monitor to close the "3DconnexionHelper" process and the remaining 3Dconnexion programs. Then go to System Preferences and open the "3Dconnexion" pane. That ought to restart everything.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

McTTRS wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:46 am Abdul stated that the problem in Google's case was related to Google's lack of use of the SDK.
Google Earth is using the driver framework on macOS.

That information provided by our technical support team is incorrect.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:46 am I have to pair the CMW-bluetooth every time I change OS, but noticed that an additional macOS restart is needed after macOS pairing, otherwise 3Dx driver doesn't recon CWM 3Dx inputs
This unexpected.

One of us has just attempted to reproduce this and, sure enough, there is a bug. We're tracking this as MAC-288.

Here's the process that we followed:
  1. Remove the CadMouse Wireless (CMW) pairing in the Bluetooth settings of the target Mac system.
  2. Shutdown the Mac.
  3. Pair the CMW to a different system.
  4. Restart the Mac.
  5. Pair the device again and check if the driver recognises in the "3Dconnexion" pane in System Preferences.
  6. Press the radial menu button of the CMW (top button close to the mouse wheel): radial menu does not open (issue).
Thank you for reporting this bug, marcarch.

[Edit 1]: replaced text explaining we couldn't initially see the bug.
[Edit 2]: added bug number (MAC-288).
mdhassoc

Post by mdhassoc »

ngomes wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:24 am
mdhassoc wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:14 pm Has anyone found a fix for Google Earth Pro? Running Big Sur with Space Mouse. Nothing works.
We don't know if a fix will be available. We see no path forward to resolve this issue.

Google Earth appears to be blocking the main thread (perhaps to draw as fast as possible), shutting down the communication with our driver for macOS 11.

At this point, we believe the application needs to be modified to restore functionality.
Wrong Answer. As a hardware provider, you are responsible to make sure these key applications work. I realize Google Earth Pro is not probably a primary 3D application, unlike all of the Modeling apps. However, some of us use it extensively for visual studies of various locations on Earth. Are you positive there is no workaround within the driver code? If not, then full refunds should be granted. Otherwise just an expensive paperweight. Please do your best to resolve this problem. Thank you.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:19 am One of us has just attempted to reproduce this and, sure enough, there is a bug. We're tracking this as MAC-288.
Yeah, I confirm this happens everytime I switch OS. For sure it's a bug but I'm afraid it a bigger one:
I discovered that, according to Apple, when a bluetooth device is first paired on macOS it's automatically paired on Win-Bootcamp: Apple Support article
I can confirm this dual pairing works with a Magic Mouse, but not with CMW. I don't have other bluetooth devices to test at the moment.