macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

shresko79

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by shresko79 »

Hello,
Im new to the forum and I have read through this thread but im still a little confused.

I am running a 2018 MacBook Pro 13" Big Sur 11.2.3 and im using the Cad Mouse Pro Wireless 10.7.0 with Sketchup Pro 2021.

-Mouse won't work with receiver, only bluetooth. (I haven't had any issues with bluetooth)
-I cant remap any buttons to Sketchup tools, radial menu not working either. only seems to work in Sketchup with default settings.

From what I've read, these seem to be common issues with the current drivers for Big Sur. Is this correct?

Just want to make sure im not missing something.

Thanks,

Shawn
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

shresko79 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:14 pm -Mouse won't work with receiver, only bluetooth. (I haven't had any issues with bluetooth)
This is expected, yes. CadMouse device types aren't supported over a receiver dongle on macOS 11.
-I cant remap any buttons to Sketchup tools, radial menu not working either. only seems to work in Sketchup with default settings.
This, on the other hand, is unexpected. If you're using your CadMouse over Bluetooth, we expect the remapping of buttons to work. What exactly are you trying to do with the buttons? You may be affected by a separate issue, like the limitation in modifier key emulation.
shresko79

Post by shresko79 »

ngomes wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:16 am
shresko79 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:14 pm -Mouse won't work with receiver, only bluetooth. (I haven't had any issues with bluetooth)
This is expected, yes. CadMouse device types aren't supported over a receiver dongle on macOS 11.

Thank you for clarifying!

This, on the other hand, is unexpected. If you're using your CadMouse over Bluetooth, we expect the remapping of buttons to work. What exactly are you trying to do with the buttons? You may be affected by a separate issue, like the limitation in modifier key emulation.

Again I am new to the Cad Mouse and fairly new to Sketchup...

here's what I tried.
I set the application to Sketchup.
-set middle button to application command - orbit tool
-set forward arrow to application command - redo edit
-set back arrow to application command - undo edit
-set wheel click to application command - selection tool

I then set the radial menu to use line, circle, rectangle and erase commands

when using Sketchup,
-the middle button now does nothing. the radial menu will pop up but none of the tools can be selected, when you click on a tool the radial menu disappears but the tool is not activated.
-wheel click to change to selection tool does not activate selection tool
-forward and back arrows not working for undo/redo

let me know if im doing something wrong

Thanks
Shawn
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

shresko79 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:42 am let me know if im doing something wrong
It seems that you're doing everything right.

Since you're using your CadMouse over Bluetooth, do you recall having rebooted your system after you paired the device?

If you have not rebooted, disable Bluetooth on the system (there should be a Bluetooth icon on menu bar) and then re-enable. We're tracking an issue appears to happen straight after pairing the device (the system enumerated the device differently in subsequent connections).
shresko79

Post by shresko79 »

I will try that, thank you!

Shawn
shresko79

Post by shresko79 »

tried toggling bluetooth on and off and rebooted. no change.

none of the mapped buttons worked properly except the middle button which would orbit until a tool is used, then middle button orbit stops working.

Also, radial menu is mapped to line, circle, rectangle and erase but when I open the radial menu it shows virtual num pad, 27,28 and 29??

middle button orbit only works on default settings.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

shresko79 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:59 am tried toggling bluetooth on and off and rebooted. no change.
Thanks for checking this for us.

We have tried to reproduce the problem on our end using a wireless CadMouse, SketchUp, "beta 15" driver and macOS 11.2.3 (20D91) on an M1 machine but all checks out fine: undo and redo work as expected when assigned to the forward and backward buttons; orbit tool is started.

If you can, please see if resetting the user configuration will resolve (note: this will delete all your driver settings).
  1. Uninstall the driver and reboot when prompted.
  2. Make a copy of the following file in a separate directory (say the Desktop):
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.3dconnexion.mappings.plist
  3. Delete the file (~/Library/Preferences/com.3dconnexion.mappings.plist)
  4. Install "beta 15" of the 10.7.0 driver (see link in the original post of this thread).
  5. Reboot when prompted.
  6. Re-do the SketchUp button mappings for your CadMouse Wireless Pro and check if there is a difference.
shresko79

Post by shresko79 »

ngomes wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:59 am
shresko79 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:59 am tried toggling bluetooth on and off and rebooted. no change.
Thanks for checking this for us.

We have tried to reproduce the problem on our end using a wireless CadMouse, SketchUp, "beta 15" driver and macOS 11.2.3 (20D91) on an M1 machine but all checks out fine: undo and redo work as expected when assigned to the forward and backward buttons; orbit tool is started.

If you can, please see if resetting the user configuration will resolve (note: this will delete all your driver settings).
  1. Uninstall the driver and reboot when prompted.
  2. Make a copy of the following file in a separate directory (say the Desktop):
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.3dconnexion.mappings.plist
  3. Delete the file (~/Library/Preferences/com.3dconnexion.mappings.plist)
  4. Install "beta 15" of the 10.7.0 driver (see link in the original post of this thread).
  5. Reboot when prompted.
  6. Re-do the SketchUp button mappings for your CadMouse Wireless Pro and check if there is a difference.
Tried these steps and the outcome is the same as last time. Mapped buttons don't work, middle button orbit command only works until you select a tool to use then middle button stops working. radial menu tools do not activate when selected and after trying a few times, the radial menu reverts back to NumPad,27,28,29??
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

shresko79 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:38 pm Tried these steps and the outcome is the same as last time.
Is the issue limited to SketchUp or do also see other programs similarly affected?
shresko79

Post by shresko79 »

Is the issue limited to SketchUp or do also see other programs similarly affected?
SketchUp is the only CAD program I use. Is there another way to test the mouse?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

shresko79 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:24 am SketchUp is the only CAD program I use. Is there another way to test the mouse?
The button mapping feature is expected to work everywhere. Even in Finder. You just need to map a button in the corresponding driver configuration (or create a new configuration).
shresko79

Post by shresko79 »

I remapped the buttons under “any application”.

I set wheel click, forward and back arrows to “click”

It worked fine in safari, finder, desktop etc.

Could it be an issue with Sketchup itself?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

shresko79 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:04 am Could it be an issue with Sketchup itself?
It is not an issue with SketchUp. I think you may be seeing a limitation that we currently have with key emulation (modifier keys don't work as standalone keys). We're working to restore the key emulation to the same experience as in macOS 10.15 and older.

Try mapping the commands for SketchUp as "keystroke" actions.
shresko79

Post by shresko79 »

This has solved the issue! The only thing I ran into was that the default middle button setting of "click button 3" works better for orbit than remapping to keystroke O. other than that the mouse is working fine for me.

Out of curiosity, can you rename the items in the radial menu? for example renaming "keystroke r" to rectangle? Its not a big deal, I know what they mean.

Thanks for all the help!
Shawn
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

shresko79 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:07 pm This has solved the issue!
That confirms what we suspected: you were affecting by the known limitation in modifier key emulation in our driver for macOS 11. As mentioned, we're working to resolve this.
Out of curiosity, can you rename the items in the radial menu? for example renaming "keystroke r" to rectangle? Its not a big deal, I know what they mean.
Not keystrokes but "macros" can have a name. Try adding a "macro" that has a single "keystroke" action.