macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

cjadams

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by cjadams »

One thing I know is that unlike all the other keys you can press the modifier keys don't actually signal the same way but if we could have the same checkboxes that we have elsewhere in the interface for the modifier keys inside of the macro generator that would be pretty cool and I wonder if that would be an easy way around for single modifier actions
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cjadams wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:51 am I wonder if that would be an easy way around for single modifier actions
It's not. The underlying issue is the system API we're currently using where modifier keys are only "masks" (effectively attributes) of other key events. So, "Cmd+A" works but stand-alone "Cmd" does not because there's no event to set the mask.

We're working to implement virtual keyboard in a "Driver Extension" (dext). We don't yet have a projection when this may be available.
reborn_designer

Post by reborn_designer »

This is joke right? It's been over 6 months and your team still CAN'T come up with an update for the Wireless Cad mouse to work with Big Sur.

EMBARRASING
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

reborn_designer wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:05 pm your team still CAN'T come up with an update for the Wireless Cad mouse to work with Big Sur.
All wireless CadMouse types work on macOS 11 in one way or another. Even the very first CadMouse (launched in 2015), a wired product, is supported on macOS 11.

The original CadMouse (wired) and the CadMouse Wireless (CMW) require a firmware update. The firmware was specifically developed to support our customers using macOS 11. We have a flash tool for the Mac, supported on macOS 10.15 and 11. All other wireless CadMouse types (CadMouse Pro Wireless, CadMouse Wireless Compact, etc) don't need a firmware update.

The only limitation I'm aware is the Universal Receiver: on macOS 11, the Universal Receiver can only be used with SpaceMouse types. On macOS 11, CadMouse types are supported over a wired connection (USB) or over Bluetooth.
zachraven

Post by zachraven »

Ok guys,

I dont want to complain, but this is ridiculous. At what point will you have functioning software for your expensive Spacemouse? Big Sur has been out for about 6 months, and developers have had access to it since last June I believe? I have no confidence that there will even be working software before the next OS X is previewed, which will start the delay all over again.

The beta version is nice to have access to, but it barely works, and when it does, half the functions dont work. 3DConnexion has been months late on delivering software for at least the last 3-4 OS X updates.

Could someone give us an actual update, and actually deliver on that? I shouldn't have to delay operating system updates for 6+ months because of one piece of hardware...
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

zachraven wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:55 pm The beta version is nice to have access to, but it barely works, and when it does, half the functions dont work.
What does not work?

We're currently tracking a single limitation: stand-alone modifier key emulation. The limitation affects the use of the device buttons to emulate a modifier key (Control, Shift, Cmd, Option) when used on its own. Emulation of "keystrokes" where a modifier is used in conjunction with another key, works well (an example is "Shift+A").
zachraven

Post by zachraven »

ngomes wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:10 am
zachraven wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:55 pm The beta version is nice to have access to, but it barely works, and when it does, half the functions dont work.
What does not work?

We're currently tracking a single limitation: stand-alone modifier key emulation. The limitation affects the use of the device buttons to emulate a modifier key (Control, Shift, Cmd, Option) when used on its own. Emulation of "keystrokes" where a modifier is used in conjunction with another key, works well (an example is "Shift+A").
I'm using rhino on my Mac. Sometimes the Spacemouse pro wireless works, 80% of the time nothing works; none of the buttons do anything, the camera control does nothing, it just doesn't work at all. if I restart my Mac MAYBE some functions start working, maybe they dont, its completely random. I wish I could be more specific, but it only works 5% of the time fully, 30% of the time certain features work, and the rest of the time nothing works.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

zachraven wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:44 am I'm using rhino on my Mac. Sometimes the Spacemouse pro wireless works, 80% of the time nothing works
That's extreme. We're not tracking any issues specific to Rhino on macOS.

I'm assuming you're already on the latest beta (beta 15, r3318). If you can, please connect your SpaceMouse Pro using a USB cable for a couple of days or so to see if we can isolate the issue to a dodgy wireless connection or a problem with the receiver.
zachraven

Post by zachraven »

ngomes wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:16 am
zachraven wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:44 am I'm using rhino on my Mac. Sometimes the Spacemouse pro wireless works, 80% of the time nothing works
That's extreme. We're not tracking any issues specific to Rhino on macOS.

I'm assuming you're already on the latest beta (beta 15, r3318). If you can, please connect your SpaceMouse Pro using a USB cable for a couple of days or so to see if we can isolate the issue to a dodgy wireless connection or a problem with the receiver.
Thank you. I'll give that a try and also double check my macros to see if they are causing issues. I'll also try to nail down if a certain situation causes the issues im experiencing. its good to hear that I might be an isolated issue, maybe that means its easily fixable, or even user error!
prespino

Post by prespino »

SpaceMouse Wireless does not work with 3Design CAD software (jewellery design) on MacOSX Big Sur 11, with driver version 10.7.0 r3318 - Beta 15 with cable or wireless connector. In programs like Blender, Archicad and Prusa Slicer it does work. Does anyone know why it doesn't work in 3DesignCAD?
briwil

Post by briwil »

What does not work?

I would say modifier keys not working is a pretty big deal, I can't really use the device with Brush without them.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

warby wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:00 pm Update: Google is now investigating the Big Sur / Google Earth / SpaceNavigator problem!
3Dconnexion had early access to a pre-release of the next version of Google Earth Pro for macOS and we can confirm the issue has been addressed. Customers can expect the next version of Google Earth Pro to include the modification to restore 3D mouse support. The change can be confirmed in the application release notes. Google does not yet have a projection for the next release date.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

Any news about MAC-281?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:35 am Any news about MAC-281?
It's still on the to-do list but it will take us a while before we can get to it.

Restoring the user-experience in macOS 11 as we have in macOS 10.15 and older is the current priority. Added features (such as MAC-281) have lower priority.
BerndB

Post by BerndB »

What does not work?

I have two CadMice. The CadMouse Pro Wireless works fine. It has Firmware version 1.06. The second Mouse is a CadMouse Compact Wireless with Firmware Version 1.10. Using this Mouse I have massive problems with the scroll wheel.

Scrolling movement is jittering when using the wheel. When I turn the wheel constantly in the same direction the scrolling movement sometimes jumps back in the opposite direction. Especially reading web pages is a pain when using this mouse. The jitter happens with any application.

When I pair both mice simultaneously to the same Mac, I get smooth scrolling with the first device and jittery scrolling with the second device. So this can't be connected to different software configurations. It seems to be solely connected to the device type or Firmware.

With best regards,
Bernd