macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

rjtiedeman

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by rjtiedeman »

I have updated to Mac OS 11.4 and my 3d spacemouse wireless (driver3318) is working fine with my iMac Pro and Vectorworks 2021 SP3.1. I just noticed that you have posted a new driver. I will update and run again soon.
bollella@icloud.com

Post by bollella@icloud.com »

ngomes wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:30 am
We also have a native firmware update tool for macOS 10.15 and 11. The dmg packages can be downloaded from the FAQ articles linked from the original post in this thread.
Great to see this. A couple quick questions:
* My MacBook Pro has only Thunderbolt 3 I/O ports. Will it be ok to use an adapter from the TB3 to USB on the Cadmouse Wireless? The readme says to connect the mouse directly to the system w/o hubs or extender cables.

* Will this update Space Mouse Enterprise as well? If not, is there another updater for it?

Thanks for all the work!

Greg
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

bollella@icloud.com wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:39 am Great to see this. A couple quick questions:
* My MacBook Pro has only Thunderbolt 3 I/O ports. Will it be ok to use an adapter from the TB3 to USB on the Cadmouse Wireless?
We don't know since we have not looked at this but it should be safe.
* Will this update Space Mouse Enterprise as well? If not, is there another updater for it?
The firmware update applies only to the original CadMouse (a wired device) and the CadMouse Wireless. There is no need to update the SpaceMouse Enterprise firmware for use in macOS 11.
slbaumgartner

Post by slbaumgartner »

I wrote about this earlier and received no reply whatsoever, not even an acknowledgement, so I'm posting again because I think it is a serious and potentially show-stopping bug. There is a memory leak in the 3DConnexionHelper that causes its footprint to grow steadily and without limit when using SketchUo. It resets if I log off and then back on, but otherwise just keeps growing. I've seen it as large as 2GB after a day of work! This is on a MacBookPro 16" running macOS Big Sur 11.4 and the latest version of the 3DC beta driver.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

slbaumgartner wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:31 am I wrote about this earlier and received no reply whatsoever, not even an acknowledgement
This' on me. I should have followed up here after your first report. I'm sorry, slbaumgartner.
so I'm posting again because I think it is a serious and potentially show-stopping bug. There is a memory leak in the 3DConnexionHelper that causes its footprint to grow steadily and without limit when using SketchUo.
After your original report, we had a look and we confirmed a memory leak. The bug is tracked with reference MAC-297 and is marked as "fixed". We will include the fix in the next release of driver v. 10.7.0 and we will be looking to see if it addresses the memory leak that you're observing.

Again, our apologies for not acknowledging your report earlier as it was particularly helpful.
slbaumgartner

Post by slbaumgartner »

ngomes, thank you for your reply! Looking forward to the next update.
bollella@icloud.com

ngomes wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:26 am
bollella@icloud.com wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:39 am * My MacBook Pro has only Thunderbolt 3 I/O ports. Will it be ok to use an adapter from the TB3 to USB on the Cadmouse Wireless?
We don't know since we have not looked at this but it should be safe.

Thanks. I followed the procedure exactly but tdxflash cannot find any device to update. Also 3Dconnexionhelper quit unexpectedly and 3Dconnection Home started when I opened tdxflash.

Here is the text from the terminal:
--------------------
bollella@Macintosh-119 ~ % /Volumes/tdxflash/tdxflash ; exit;
TDxFlash: 3Dconnexion DFU Tool v. 1.0.0 (r18184, x86_64)
Update devices of all supported types.
No supported devices found.
Exit code: 4.
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

[Process completed]
-----------------------------------------
I did give Terminal Input Monitoring capability. Unplugged the Space Mouse.

Tried various combinations with the CMW on and off.

Greg

Thanks, Greg
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

bollella@icloud.com wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:48 am I followed the procedure exactly but tdxflash cannot find any device to update.
Perhaps you have a wireless CadMouse model that requires no firmware update (and is not supported by the firmware update tool). The tool currently supports the original CadMouse (a wired device) and the "CadMouse Wireless". Other CadMouse types (like the "CadMouse Pro Wireless", "CadMouse Pro Wireless Left" and "CadMouse Compact Wireless") do not need to be updated.

Have a look under your CadMouse and confirm the exact product name. In the "About" tab in the 3Dconnexion preference pane (System Preferences), you will find the firmware version of your device. This may be interesting information to have at hand.
Also 3Dconnexionhelper quit unexpectedly and 3Dconnection Home started when I opened tdxflash.
This is the expected behaviour: the tool needs to have access to the CadMouse and the "helper" program needs to exit (to release its "exclusive" grab) before the tool can continue.
bollella@icloud.com

Ah, I have a CadMouse Pro WIreless. The firmware version is 1.10 (which is why I thought it should be at 1.11).

Also, the mouse itself seems to work ok with Big Sur 11.4 (the current released version of Big Sur) but my Space Mouse enterprise doesn't work well at all (it loses contact with apps randomly and I have to restart the app to get the function back. I thought the CadMouse Pro Wireless might be interfering somehow.

I guess nothing more needs to be done as long as the 1.10 firmware is correct.

Thanks,
Greg
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

bollella@icloud.com wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:31 am Ah, I have a CadMouse Pro WIreless. The firmware version is 1.10 (which is why I thought it should be at 1.11).
[...]
I guess nothing more needs to be done as long as the 1.10 firmware is correct.
Firmware v. 1.10 for the CadMouse Pro Wireless (CMPW) is fine. Actually, any version of the CMPW firmware should work well in macOS 11 and newer.

If you do not need to use the firmware update tool, please ensure you have removed the Input Monitoring permission for Terminal.
bollella@icloud.com

ngomes wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:58 am

If you do not need to use the firmware update tool, please ensure you have removed the Input Monitoring permission for Terminal.
Done. Thanks for the reminder.
Greg
bollella@icloud.com

Any idea of when we might see a product version of the driver for MacOS Big Sur? My Space Mouse Enterprise still randomly quits working for Maya (2020.4 and 2022) requiring me to restart Maya.
Thanks,
Greg
RVeldhuyzen

Post by RVeldhuyzen »

bollella@icloud.com wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:20 am Any idea of when we might see a product version of the driver for MacOS Big Sur? My Space Mouse Enterprise still randomly quits working for Maya (2020.4 and 2022) requiring me to restart Maya.
Thanks,
Greg
If you have easy access to it, just unplug the USB receiver and plug it back in. That makes it work again for me.
Still a hassle, but quicker than restarting Maya since I have easy access to the back of my iMac.
It's time to roll the dice...
bollella@icloud.com

RVeldhuyzen wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:59 am If you have easy access to it, just unplug the USB receiver and plug it back in. That makes it work again for me.
Still a hassle, but quicker than restarting Maya since I have easy access to the back of my iMac.
Thanks. My Space Mouse Executive has a USB wired connection only. I have tried unplugging it from the USB port and plugging back in but still unresponsive in Maya.

Greg
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

bollella@icloud.com wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:20 am Any idea of when we might see a product version of the driver for MacOS Big Sur?
Driver version 10.7.0 (currently in "beta") has support for macOS 11 (Big Sur).
My Space Mouse Enterprise still randomly quits working for Maya (2020.4 and 2022) requiring me to restart Maya.
Can you elaborate what you mean by "randomly quits"? Does it simply stop working or do you see an error message?