(HONS) Hands On Navigator and Stick gaming Controller

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

muddiman

(HONS) Hands On Navigator and Stick gaming Controller

Post by muddiman »

(HONS) Hands On Navigator and Stick

http://www.eagle-i.us/SN/HONS__Hand_Front-IMG-1.jpg

As a long time SpaceOrb fan I have been in search of a replacement gaming controller for the PC. When the SpaceNavigator came out I purchased one to test the possibilities and found this could be an excellent gaming controller. The SpaceNavigator had precision control unlike the SpaceOrb; unfortunately 3Dconnexion does not provide software and drivers for gaming. I kept checking the forums for such a driver when one day I discovered RBC9 had created the software and drivers. Thanks to RBC9 I can now explore the possibility of using the SpaceNavigator as a gaming controller. The SpaceOrb was a good controller but had mechanical play and minimal buttons. I researched different options for button configuration and realized there was something already on the market, the CH Products FighterStick designed after the F-16 flight stick. My prototype HONS uses the CombatStick. The United States Air Force (USAF) spent hundreds of hours and lots money designing a flight stick that would maximize operation using one hand on the flight controls. This was the answer to my problem. The FighterStick and CombatStick is fully programmable allowing the freedom of programming each button movement. Now all I had to do was to marry the two together. I have to say I am extremely pleased with performance and the more I practice the better it gets. I will eventually form a shell that will house the two together creating an ergonomic design providing better function for holding in your lap and connect the two USB cables as one. The next option would be to have a programmer write a program allowing both controllers programmed by one piece of software. This is not a cheap solution for a gamming controller, but as far as I am concerned it sure beats the mouse and keyboard.

I call the controller (HONS) Hands On Navigator and Stick.

I
jwick

Post by jwick »

Now THAT'S an ingenious customer!!
Great job!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Impressive. Good stuff indeed.
MeatEater

Post by MeatEater »

This is great! was it difficult to remove the Space Navigator from the base? I was considering a similar project, but I wasn't sure how to go about dissecting the SpaceNav.
muddiman

Post by muddiman »

Hi MeatEater,

There are three screws on the stainless steel base under the rubber non-slip pad. Then you have to remove two screws holding the PC board to disconnect the USB cable. Once that is done you will need to remove the rubber strain relief on the stainless steel base and fish the USB cable out. I have been using this setup along with RBC9 software interface for a few months and it works great. Sure beats the hell out of the mouse and keyboard for gaming. Plus you are free from being tied to a table and keyboard allowing you to use it like a game console controller. It's too bad 3DCONNEXION does not support it as a standard mouse even though they call it a 3D mouse. It would open up a whole new gaming trend thus expanding their product line. Thanks to RBC9 for his software helping to make this possible.