MIDI Navigator v1.1

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

stew

MIDI Navigator v1.1

Post by stew »

I just uploaded a new version of my MIDI Navigator driver.

MIDI Navigator is a program that translates Space Navigator movements to MIDI control change messages, allowing the user to control a number of audio (and some video!) applications with it.

New in version 1.1 are the choice of MIDI channel, relative or absolute mode and sliders for sensitivity. The change under the hood is that it now uses the OS X beta driver instead of the USB HID interface to talk to the hardware.

Downlaad it here
Last edited by stew on Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ruigato

Post by ruigato »

wow

great work stew! been fiddling with reaktor and the SN for 2 hours with this.. just can't say how much i appreciate your work! limitless creative possibilities for the electronic musician

it's such an amazing sensible device, you can make very organic smooth changes to the pitch, timbre, volume, duration, frequency modulation... it's really a breaktrough :)

edit: here's a small example: http://www.bbox.tv/snmidi.html

kudos,
rui gato

----
Edit (moderator): the site seems to be down. The clip (very cool!) is also available from YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLT0fkWna6E
alecks

Post by alecks »

In that video you linked to.... what software are they using to achieve that? Is it something custom made or can it be downloaded somewhere?

Are there off the shelf programs that can translate CC messages to Note On/Off?
ruigato

Post by ruigato »

Hi alecks,

i did the video myself, and used ableton live + reaktor to make this example:

www.ableton.com

www.native-instruments.com

but you can achieve this kind of results with any virtual instrument that accepts midi CC's

for the translation, you can try Plogue Bidule

greets,
Rui Gato
alecks

Post by alecks »

Hey,

Thanks for the info, I'm looking into those now. I'm not really an audio guy by any means, but i've recently discovered midi and other devices (arduino, processing, etc...) and am fascinated by it all, so i'm trying to absorb as much as possible.

The MIDI Navigator outputs CC messages. How do you turn those into notes?
I just downloaded Bidule and am trying to do it there. Is Bidule capable of created something similar to what you did in that video, where little taps create different sounds (or the same sound but different pitches? i don't even know)...

Thanks much
-Alex
GregVDS

Post by GregVDS »

Hello,

I noticed the new driver induce a drop of sensitivity in your Midi Navigator, is this normal?

As it blocked ControllerMate to work properly, I came back to the last driver (or nothing at all, don't remember how far I went last night to recover things working together).

Stew, I eagerly wait for you Poser 7 plugin. Man, this will be exciting!!

All the best,

GregVDS
All the best,

GregVDS
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

ControllerMate is not an officially supported application but I tried ControllerMate v4 with v1.0.1 of the driver and it seems to work fine. Is there a specific issue you're seeing?

As far as the sensitivity, please see viewtopic.php?t=537
GregVDS

Post by GregVDS »

Good news, I will try it again, hoping to have everything working after upgrade.

Thanks!
All the best,

GregVDS
GregVDS

Post by GregVDS »

All works indeed. Sorry for the fuss about the new driver.
All the best,

GregVDS
runagate

Post by runagate »

Thank you so very, very much. I can't wait to try this out. This is exactly what I bought a SpaceNavigator for.