Lights in Maya 7.0

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

InterestedAnimator

Lights in Maya 7.0

Post by InterestedAnimator »

When looking through a spot light in maya 7.0 the spacenavigator has no motion control, it says "Error: No valid objects supplied to 'xform' command." this works in 3dsmax and it would be really nice to aim lights in maya as well (im just now making the transition from max to maya."

thx
InterestedAnimator

I tried this in Maya 2008 and it does the same thing. You can look through lights, and aim them using the standard manipulators, but if you try and move the camera it gives that same error.

I also tried an experiment, I made a camera, and looked through it, and the controller works, I then made a light, and parented the light to the camera I made, and I was no longer able to move the camera with the controller, it gives the error I previously posted.

Is this a limitation in maya or with the driver? I'm used to using my SN to point lights as well as cameras in 3dsmax, and would like to do so in maya as well, thanks.
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Hi,

Can you explain how to reproduce this? For me it seems to work, but perhaps I am using the wrong procedure.
Robert Stadie
InterestedAnimator

I'm not sure, I created a spot light, selected it, went to panels then look through selected, and it says "Error: No valid objects supplied to 'xform' command." down in the command response field.

I tried to get around it by making a camera, and a spotlight, parenting the spotlight to the camera, changing the view to the camera from the panels menu, but once again the same message appears.

I can enable object movement and move the light around, but it doesn't really help if I cant see from it's view, it seems to give me that error when both the light and the camera try to move using the device.
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

I can confirm this. We track this issue with ID 4729. It will be hopefully fixed in the next release. Thank you for your report!
Robert Stadie