SpaceNavigator 3D mouse & XP Games

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

optical10

SpaceNavigator 3D mouse & XP Games

Post by optical10 »

Hi

just wondering if this 3D Mouse will work in games to simulate the W,A,S,D jeys for movement in PC First person shooters? Also is it programmable to emulate other keys?

Any help appreciated & thank you
chrisman

NOPE!!!

Post by chrisman »

Sorry mate, that is impossible. Check back after 10 years, may be then will be !
----------------------
Live while you live!
optical10

Re: NOPE!!! - Are You Sure!!!

Post by optical10 »

chrisman wrote:Sorry mate, that is impossible. Check back after 10 years, may be then will be !

because - This controller/mouse has support for “Second Life” which is a 3-D game, here is a quote from: www.3dconnexion.com

“Explore rich 3D scenes or worlds in Second Life, Autodesk 3ds Max, Autodesk Maya, Google Earth, NASA World Wind, or Microsoft Virtual Earth.”
http://www.3dconnexion.com/3dmouse/spac ... ebooks.php

So to me it doesn’t seem such a great leap for it to work for the 3-D games that also use the W,A,S,D keys , even if it is not programmable, can it use the W,A,S,D keys, that’s the question I need answering from somebody who has this mouse/controller and knows definitively?

This method of input is very ergonomic for me as I am disabled and I used to use a Microsoft command unit that worked in a very similar way to this mouse/controller.

Cheers
Elfen

Post by Elfen »

I'm afraid it's not possible :(

You see, 3Dconnexion decided to integrate their hardware with a non-standard and non-standard-emulating kind of driver, which requires the software developers who make the apps, to code it into their app, or code a plugin, so their application can interface with the 3D mouse driver.

Therefore, it's up to the application developers to add the support, if there's suppose to be ANY reaction from the app when using the device. No binding of keys or the alike (Though it seams the photoshop plugin is just key press emulation, but that's only within photoshop)...

There's been alot of complaints about these non-standard drivers, but unfortunately, the devices will not be able to function well enough with non-special drivers :(
sorin

Post by sorin »

they are not "non-standard" drivers at all. they are as standard as your mouse is. it works as microsoft human interface is described for a 6 axes device.

what you want is actually a non-standard driver, a device emulation driver. that's completely different. for that you'll have to use the driver posted on this forum which makes your 3d device emulate a joystick or mouse. the true 6 axes support will have to be implemented inside the game, like it is with 2d/3d apps.
optical10

Post by optical10 »

thank you all for your replies but especially to you sorin. unfortunately I did not receive my notifications when some replies were posted, hence the delay.

I don't see a download section in this forum, could you give me the name and the location of the nonstandard driver sorin please?

I believe there is no difference between the SpaceNavigator Personal Edition and the Standard Edition in functionality? so if this is the case will these nonstandard drivers work on the personal edition?

There seems a lot of difference in price on the online store,
Elfen

Post by Elfen »

sorin wrote:they are not "non-standard" drivers at all. they are as standard as your mouse is. it works as microsoft human interface is described for a 6 axes device.

what you want is actually a non-standard driver, a device emulation driver. that's completely different. for that you'll have to use the driver posted on this forum which makes your 3d device emulate a joystick or mouse. the true 6 axes support will have to be implemented inside the game, like it is with 2d/3d apps.
Oh, fair enough :)

Just got a different impression from some of all the complaint-threads, like this one:

viewtopic.php?t=2025

Which sounds to me like 3DConnexion isn't using some standard that other 6-dof device manufacturers use. And I kind of got the same impression when plugging in my SN, which didn't trigger any driver installation in windows alone...
But fair enough :) Could you link us to this emulator driver? Or did we misunderstand you? I've tried to search the forum, no results :(
yuriythebest

Post by yuriythebest »

Elfen wrote:
sorin wrote:they are not "non-standard" drivers at all. they are as standard as your mouse is. it works as microsoft human interface is described for a 6 axes device.

Oh, fair enough :)

Just got a different impression from some of all the complaint-threads, like this one:

viewtopic.php?t=2025

Which sounds to me like 3DConnexion isn't using some standard that other 6-dof device manufacturers use. And I kind of got the same impression when plugging in my SN, which didn't trigger any driver installation in windows alone...
But fair enough :) Could you link us to this emulator driver? Or did we misunderstand you? I've tried to search the forum, no results :(
sure thing :
viewtopic.php?t=336
Elfen

Post by Elfen »

Ruud Boer

Post by Ruud Boer »

A configurable driver for use with ANY program can be found here:

viewtopic.php?t=336

Any key combination can be set to any SN axis. I use it myself in many different ways with many programs and games and it works like a charm. The drivers are not supported by 3DConnexion so you gotto figure it al out and try to get them working. If you follow the instructions it should hopefully work fine.

Have fun!
jmoseley

The first official game with 3D mouse support

Post by jmoseley »

Just wanted to post some news here as the topic is about games.

The news... UK games developer (Introversion) has added 3D mouse support to their latest game - Multiwinia.

I had to "test" the game a bit so I can safely say it's pretty cool. :lol:

You can vist this page for more info and find a link to the free demo: http://www.3dconnexion.com/solutions/multiwinia.php

Have fun!

John
gigertron

Re: SpaceNavigator 3D mouse & XP Games

Post by gigertron »

optical10 wrote:Hi

just wondering if this 3D Mouse will work in games to simulate the W,A,S,D jeys for movement in PC First person shooters? Also is it programmable to emulate other keys?

Any help appreciated & thank you
Layering AutoHotKey on top of RBC9's driver, I've done this.
viewtopic.php?t=2608

Have fun : D
gigertron

Re: NOPE!!!

Post by gigertron »

chrisman wrote:Sorry mate, that is impossible.
Apparently it is.
http://www.apparentlythisispossible.com ... useWOW.ahk
AHK script on top of RBC9's driver.
TS_WARLORD

lack of support!!!

Post by TS_WARLORD »

I to was suckered in by the hype, I have tried numerous times to get hold of support with no action on thier part, I payed of SE support and was only given the option to register it as PE and I can not find any way to even send the SN back for a refund.
Does anyone have any ideas how to go about requesting a refund??
Thank You for your time