3dxsrv.exe and 100% CPU - SN not working

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

IGW

3dxsrv.exe and 100% CPU - SN not working

Post by IGW »

Hi all,

I was given a SpaceNavigator PE for use with a CAD package. I am having a lot of trouble making it work reliably.

Immediately after I install I can get it working, but it doesn't work after computer is restarted. It has always been like this - never worked after restart.

I have tried plugging into different USB ports - no effect.

Windows XP with SP 2 and all patches. Device Manager seems to recognise the SN OK - there is are two entries in the HID section:

HID-Compliant device
Location 0
HID\VID_046D&PID_C626\6&36E6DCC9&0&0000

USB Human Interface Device
Location 0 (SpaceNavigator)
HID\VID_046D&PID_C626\5&3D752F79&0&1

Pentium 4, Asus P5GD2-Premium MB, 1GB RAM. nVidia GeForce 6600GT graphics. Been a *very* reliable system, even if a little dated.

The LEDs on the SN light up when the driver is started (and go off when it is stopped). I can also turn them on and off using 3DxWare. So I assume that there is some USB comms to and from the device.

Driver etc from 3DxWare Help-About shows:
Release Version: 3.6.4
(Driver Version: 6.6.1)
Firmware Version: 3.18
Device Type: SpaceNavigator

Software firewall is Norton Internet Security 2008 - it doesn't make any difference whether I have the software firewall enabled or disabled. SN still does not work in any application.

Immediately after installing SN will work. Restart computer and SN no longer works in any application - including in the sample apps supplied with the driver (chicken, cube, jet fighter etc). Same with other apps such as Google Earth and the CAD apps I use.

Task Manager shows 3dxsrv.exe is using 50% of the total CPU time (which is essentially 100 % of one of the hyper-threading pseudo cores - so essentially it is using 100% of the cpu it has access to).

Is this normal?

How can I make this thing work reliably?

I have searched the other questions and tried things like the hold two button and plug in fix etc. No improvement.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought I would try to answer all the likely questions up front.

Thanks,
Ian
Fred

Post by Fred »

Did you try Calibrate?

Open the 3dcontrol panel
Device Configuration
make sure nothing is touching the device.
Click calibrate.
Does this resolve the 100% ?

Not starting after reboot:
Check in Norton Securities to see if its scanning USB ports if it is you have to make an exception to the rule.
You'l have to contact Norton i dont have the exact steps on the process.
IGW

Post by IGW »

No - calibrating makes no difference - CPU usage remains the same and still no operation in the demos or any other app.

No security or other messages that I can see in any firewall or security or other logs. Nothing that seems at all relevant in any of the XP event logs either. (While I can easily get things wrong, I am familiar with computers and programming them (for a living) and drivers etc etc - so I have looked in some detail.)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Any more?

Ian
IGW

Post by IGW »

I should also add that I can manually stop and start the driver using the shortcuts installed by the installer in Programs->3dconnexion ... etc.

Same from the command line - I can start and stop the driver OK, but no operation in any apps.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi IGW,
Any more?
After reboot, check that the device does not work, then unplug it from the USB socket and reconnect. Restart the driver and retest (check CPU load level and demos). Let us know the result.

Whatever the outcome, contact the helpline for your region. It seems like your hardware is malfunctioning and may have to be replaced.
Nuno Gomes
IGW

Post by IGW »

Thanks ngomes,

No change after rebooting and then unplugging and replugging in USB (repeatedly).

Also, no change with after repeatedly stopping and restarting the driver.

Something I did note though, is that the amount of CPU time the 3dxsrv.exe process uses does fall to zero when I unplug the SN. Rises back to 50% of one CPU (as shown in Task Manager CPU Usage history graph (when set for one graph per CPU) - this what I am seeing always. I hadn't checked previously, though, what happens to 3dxsrv cpu usage when SN is unplugged and plugging in again. Now I have.

OK - I will try to make contact with support centre. Not clear which email address this should be for Australia - Asia or Rest Of World?

This is all a bit frustrating. There do seem to be quite a few comments along this line (driver issues discussions that end with the comment contact us for a replacement).

Thanks,
Ian
IGW

Post by IGW »

IGW wrote:snip... Rises back to 50% of one CPU (as shown in Task Manager CPU Usage history graph (when set for one graph per CPU) - ...snip
Sorry - this should have read "100% of one CPU (as shown in Task Manager CPU Usage history graph (when set for one graph per CPU).

It is taking up 50% of the total cpu time (both CPUs combined).

3dconnexion have sent a personal message to me requesting more info so they are involved directly - thanks a lot, this is good service.

Ian