<DONE> SpaceNavigator Driver - Mouse Joystick Keyboard

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Sam

Post by Sam »

So I finally got all working. I editted my layout (with several crashes of the program) and finally had X, Y and Z-Axis as well as the rotations.

Great, now I can start experimenting in FSX. :)
sonicxtacy02

Post by sonicxtacy02 »

I've got an extremely odd issue going on with my SpaceNav and Windows 7 32-bit. I've got the v2 drivers installed and my SpaceNav is lit. Its acting as a mouse with the X and Y axis, the buttons don't seem to do anything. Before i connected my SpaceNav to the computer i opened the RBC9 executable and created a bind consisting of keyboard shortcuts. But anytime i have the SpaceNav connected to the computer the RBC9 .exe crashes as soon as its started. I've tried reinstalling it and re-doing the drivers for the SpaceNav but nothing seems to work. I gotta get this thing working because its the main control for my Car PC. I'm assuming the mouse movements with X and Y are the driver's default, but i need a specific set of keyboard shortcuts working. Please HELP lol
sonicxtacy02

Post by sonicxtacy02 »

ok it appears i've made some progress. I now have the v2 drivers installed, rbc9 executible running and my controls set and saved as the default bind. I can see in the executible that the spacenav is detected as the numbers on the axis icons are moving correctly. I've got my bind set up to send key presses, however the key presses aren't being sent. Is there something special i have to do with windows 7 to allow it to interpret the executibles commands?
Pezito

Post by Pezito »

Well, just make sure your custom profile is set as default and click "apply"... Then you need to unplug your SpaceNav from the USB port, and plug it back. As far as I know, it's the only way to make it use your new profile.

Anytime you edit your default profile in RBC9's app, you need to click "apply" then unplug/replug the device. :?
sonicxtacy02

Post by sonicxtacy02 »

Thanks for your reply. I hit apply. And i definitely tried unpluging/replugging the usb. I even tried to reboot. Something is being configured as the lights blink like they're supposed to. It seems the problem isn't between the spaceNav and the application, but the application and windows 7
Pezito

Post by Pezito »

I'm not sure what the problem is (and I have Windows 7 64-bit so maybe it makes a difference ?)...

But I remember my first attempts at using the RBC9 app weren't successful. I tried to bind simple keystrokes to the SpaceNav but it didn't work as intended. Maybe you should try and play with the various settings in RBC9's app ? I usually choose "long press", adjust delays, dead zone... Those settings matter when you don't want different axis of the SpaceNav to interfere with each other.

My advice would be to check the numbered values that appear in RPBC9's app when you move the SpaceNav controls, and change the dead zone or min/max values so that you can be sure the SpaceNav will never toggle two or three different binds in the same time. Working with the Notepad and simple letter presses can be a quick way to figure out if anything works at all. :P
DrLilo

Post by DrLilo »

Hi guys newbie here with age old problems. I have read most of the above...

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and own a Space Navigator and have tried every version (32 or 64) that I've seen links to on this thread. I've followed all the instructions and I used that driver signing enforcement overrider piece of crap to do nothing but get a lot of headaches from constantly having to reboot.

I'm seriously stressing out, why haven't 3D Connexion made this driver their official one and improved its compatibility? It's obvious that everyone who can use it, will prefer to... It improves the value of the product.

Anyway if anyone can possibility suggest a solution I'd be grateful. I need to remap this device for a college project.
Pezito

Post by Pezito »

As someone suggested, since 3Dconnexion has been bought by Logitech their products have probably been "kept" from evolving too much because Logitech already offers several devices that would be in direct competition with those by 3Dconnexion. To improve 3Dx devices like the SpaceNavigator, the way those unofficial drivers can, could quite possibly make any "3D-trackball-pro-gaming-controller" device useless. Things being as they are right now, 3Dx devices can be safely limited to the small world of a handful of applications... At least that's how I see it. :?

Anyway. What you should do is use the 64-bit version of the unofficial driver (which you can download from Omni Flux's web site), and make sure you proceed just as described in my post there. I'm not sure I've stressed it enough in my pseudo-tutorial but you have to delete anything RBC9-related from your C:\Windows folder (and subfolders) ! Namely the .sys and .inf files that may remain. Otherwise you can never be sure Windows is using the version of the files you want. Also, keep in mind the HID/USB replacing in the .inf file... It could prove helpful.

Lastly, if you want to be 100% sure that Windows is allowing the use of unsigned drivers, in addition to the driver signing enforcement tool you will probably want to press F8 during boot to bring up Windows' boot menu ; then you can safely select the line that mentions unsigned drivers, and you know they ARE actually allowed for that session.
sonicxtacy02

Post by sonicxtacy02 »

well after about 4 reinstalls and driver changes tonight i finally got the device working. HUGE relief. Its funny cause i was under the impression that the rbc9 app had to be running for the binds to work. But i guess thats not the case as the binds are working fine without the app running now.
Pezito

Post by Pezito »

Yes, it's explained somewhere in the docs for RBC9's app ; you only need to run the app if you want to be able to (auto-)switch profiles (which, actually, never worked for me :? ). It says however that the default profile is saved and active by default, so once you've defined it, you don't have to run RBC9's app as his driver will already use your profile. :)
ericgandt

Issues software says that the is no device found

Post by ericgandt »

I have signed and installed the "RBC9 Driver - TEST x64 build" driver it shows up in device manager as "RBC9 SpacePilot MouJoyKey v2" under hardware ID "USB\VID_046D&PID_C625", and windows is happy, however every time I attempt to start the RBC9-SpaceNav program is says "!SpaceNavigator not found!" and then thats that, nothing seems to work from then on.

I'm on Windows 7 x64 and have followed the instructions that seem to work for other people, but not for me :( . Also once I installed the driver the default software stopped working.

Ideas?

Thanks,
ERIC :(
chipell

Post by chipell »

I've installes windows 7 on my computer and want to start my Spacemouse Plus xt seriell. but I can't find a driver for this.
can someone help me?!
and were is the link for this driver of rbc9??
thanks
Bryan

Newer Operating Systems require newer drivers and devices

Post by Bryan »

Dear chipell,

The SpaceMousePlus XT Serial has not been produced for many years now. The drivers developed for it were developed way before the introduction of Windows 7. Our current line of drivers for Windows 7 require use of our current devices, SpaceNavigators, SpaceExplorer USB, SpacePilot PRO.

Sincerely,
Bryan G.
The more things change, the more they remain the same. ; ^ )
HaggeL

The system cannot find the file specified

Post by HaggeL »

I did as Pezito suggested, but unfortunately it ends up with a failure.

Updating the driver, i get:
"Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device. / The system cannot find the file specified"

Working on Windows 7 64bit, the install-routine from RBC9 stored the RBC9-SpaceNav.sys in "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\drivers", thus i replaced it with Omni Flux new .sys-file.

I examined the inf file and and found

Code: Select all

ServiceBinary  = %10%\System32\drivers\RBC9-SpaceNav.sys
That might be the source of Problem :wink:

But changing the line above to

ServiceBinary  = %10%\SysWOW64\drivers\RBC9-SpaceNav.sys
or

ServiceBinary  = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\drivers\RBC9-SpaceNav.sys
didn´t change anything.

Another try:
I copied the .sys-file to C:\Windows\System32\driver and signed it as well. Now updating the driver of HID-compliant device, same failure appears.

Channging

%RBC9_NAV.DeviceDesc%   =Install, HID\VID_046D&PID_C626      ; SpaceNav 
back to

%RBC9_NAV.DeviceDesc%   =Install, USB\VID_046D&PID_C626      ; SpaceNav 
and updating the driver for usb-device (not HID-compliant device) seems to work, red dialog box now appears (!), then waiting a few secs and the same failure from above appears. :oops:

Any idea, what's going wrong?

Greets HaggeL
Pezito

Post by Pezito »

Weird indeed. :?

But as messy as it may sound, when I managed to make the driver work it didn't follow any USB/HID rule. By that, I mean that I replaced the "USB" lines with "HID" lines in the .inf file, BUT I installed the modified sys + inf on the USB device, not "HID-compliant". Just quoting myself :
Now open the Device Manager and check the Human Interface Devices list : the device you need to "update" the driver to RBC9's version is labeled "USB device", NOT "HID-compliant device" !
This was done with a .inf file which had "HID" instead of "USB" lines - however illogical it may seem. :)

Also, don't forget to delete any RBC9-related file from your Windows folder and all subfolders when you try again. Windows backs driver files up in some folders, so you can easily make it reinstall the same broken stuff when you think you're starting fresh.