Pro-Engineer crashing in Sketcher with Space Navigator3

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

rapidoconsulting

Post by rapidoconsulting »

I have noticed that Pro-Engineer Wildfire III is crashing a lot in sketcher when the space navigator driver is running. If I shut down the driver the program is stable, but I don't have the navigator to use. I have used the latest driver, but found that it was worse than 3.2.2. I frequently use the calibrate button to make sure that is not the issue. I rarely use the controller in the 2d sketcher mode, but use it always outside of sketcher. Has anyone seen this and is there a fix?

Sincerely
Eric Mills
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi rapidoconsulting,

What is the build number of WF3 that you are using? Also, do you have an x64 or 32-bit build of WF3?
Nuno Gomes
rapidoconsulting

Wildfire III build M40, but I have seen it happening on later builds. OS is 32 bit XP. I have recently changed computers and the issue was still present on new and old machine. I will say that if you should stay in sketcher without any input for approx 1 minute or more, I will usually get a crash. I don't believe this is related to hardware, but something to do with the sketcher enviroment vs controller. I try not to move the controller while in sketch mode, but still crashes can happen. This doesn't happen everytime I enter into sketch mode, but is it frequent.

Thanks
Eric Mills
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi rapidoconsulting

Could you describe a scenario in order to reproduce?
agoenczi
rapidoconsulting

Pro-Engineer crashing in Sketcher with Space Navigator

Basically the situation is if I enter into sketcher for creating a solid protrusion or cut or any feature for that matter, there are times when Pro-E will shutdown. This is not every single time, nor on any particular part, it just happens all of sudden. I can most definitely make it crash if I redefine the original sketch. An example would be to make a rectangle sketch and finish the feature, then I want to add another minor change to the rectangle sketch through the redefine sketch and that will usually make Pro-E close. I don't see any issues outside the sketcher window. There is one more thing that can make Pro-E crash under the sketcher is say for example you are making a sketch and you have to get up to go to the bathroom for a minute or two; when you come back and you move the mouse Pro-E will crash; not long enough to make the screen saveer come on. If I shut down the 3dware driver Pro-E remains stable throughout these examples. I try not to use the controller while I'm in sketch mode, but that doesn't seem to help either.

Thanks

Eric
Eric Mills
rapidoconsulting

Try this one.

Program one of the buttons to have the sketcher references as its button. That certainly will crash Pro-E once you select the button and then proceed to another command. Also I'm finding that the saved buttons are not retaining their values. I have the control key on one and the other the sketcher references.

Thanks
Eric Mills
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi rapidoconsulting

I tried to sketch more rectangles. I saved the changes. Afterwards I changed the geometry by moving different lines. I could even open an another window with a new assembly: no crash happened.

I tried afterwards to map a function (Sketch Setup...) to a button. No crash again.

Could you describe a short step-by-step scenario with which I should be able to reproduce the issue you described?
agoenczi
rapidoconsulting

The crashing might be related to sketcher in sheetmetal module. I have been working on many sheetmetal parts and the crashing causes some loss of work before last save. There might be something related to WFIII the controller driver and sketcher. I have not worked on WFII with this controller. I will keep trying to zero in on the exact cause. Sketch profiles are not only rectangles but other lines as well. I was just trying to provide an example sketch and see if you could see a crash.

Sincerely

Eric
Eric Mills
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi rapidoconsulting,

Could you describe a scenario which would lead with a very high probability to a crash? It is very important that I could reproduce the crash: this would be the first step to do while finding an eventual bug...
agoenczi
rapidoconsulting

Hello

I think the sketcher issue is related directly to Pro-E. I turned the driver off and had a crash as well. Sorry to point the finger at the space navigator.
Eric Mills