SpaceNavigator & Photoshop CS3 = perfect!

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

zutuzu

SpaceNavigator & Photoshop CS3 = perfect!

Post by zutuzu »

Wow.

After one day, I can not imagine anymore working with photoshop without using the spacenavigator to pan, zoom and set the brush-size.

This gadget extremly increases my workflow.

However, since I use a german keyboard layout, to make the brush-size control work, I had to install a german photoshop version, using an english version did not allow to controll the brush size by rotating the cap.

This is a fantastic product for all photoshop artists, 3dconnexion should announce this very prominently on their website and the product specs.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I'll pass on your request to the programmers.
Your correct if you install English driver the application must also be in English otherwise it can give you some strange error messages.
moonsoft

Its easier to toggle keyboard layout

Post by moonsoft »

Hi,
I use CS3 English version, on an English Windows XP, with the space pilot, and have a German layout keyboard as well. Brush resize works fine if I use the XP language bar to toggle keybord layout to English. When I have to type in some German text with Umlauts then I just toggle back to German for the moment.
So its easier than installing a German Photoshop (I also don't like the translations of commands) and still have brush resize via space pilot...

Anyway it a nuisance and I would like the 3Dconnexion people to account for regional keyboard layout in a future driver update ....
Jens Mondry
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

Hi moonsoft,

We're currently looking at what can be done to support environments with mixed language versions for Photoshop and the keyboard. Until that's available, our recommendation is to use the same keyboard layout language as the localized language for Photoshop. That is, English Photoshop with English keyboard layout for example.

Some background information on why it is important to maintain the same keyboard language layout as your Photoshop software... The 3DxPhotoshop plugin simulates keystrokes to adjust the brush size. Each localized version of Photoshop uses a different set of keystrokes for adjusting the brush size. If the input language for the keyboard does not match the language for Photoshop, it may not be possible to simulate the required keys since they will have a different scan code that may not exist on that keyboard layout. The only sure way to avoid this issue for now is to match the keyboard input language to that of Photoshop.
noviolence

Post by noviolence »

Hi, ..

Ive got an english PS Version, and I set up an english keyboard layout.. but it doesnt work.. Everything works except the brush size control :(
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

Starting with v3.5.5 of the 3DxSoftware driver, brush size adjustment has been enhanced for Photoshop CS3. It should now work with mixed languages between Photoshop and the keyboard
noviolence

Post by noviolence »

Ive installed 3.5.5 yesterday .. doesn't work with any keyboard layout :(
I've reinstalled it twice.. everythink works except the brush size ..
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

I sent you a email with details on how to contact me and some questions. Once we have more data on the problem, I'll post an answer to the forum.
JonAngelo

CS3, WinXP english on a Macbook Pro with danish keyboard

Post by JonAngelo »

Brush size doesn't work here either.

Sincerely

JonAngelo
noviolence

Post by noviolence »

sorry, for not answering the mail.
I rechecked about the Hotkey thing.. and tada.. it works
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

Please see this post on using Photoshop CS3 with 3DxSoftware v3.5.6 on Windows.

viewtopic.php?p=7596#7596
GR|PROMI

Post by GR|PROMI »

Hi,

I have just received spaceTraveler with 3.5.6 driver and I cannot change the brush size in photoshop cs3 (os vista).
Photoshop is english, however my vista is not (I am also using several keyboard encodings, tho primary is english). I was able to set shortcut with photoshop at first run, I have also checked the directory mentioned on the link above and it should be all OK.

The other programs I use, work as advertised.
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

I assume you're able to navigate and only the brush size adjustment is not working? One thing to note is that the shortcut you specify is tied to the keyboard encoding. If you change the encoding, then the brush adjustment will stop working.

Try this.
- Start PS and set the encoding to EN
- Change the shortcut for 3DxPhotoshop plugin to Alt-Shift-Ctrl-H
- Restart PS and make sure the kb is set to EN
- Try adjusting brush size
GR|PROMI

Post by GR|PROMI »

Thank you for your reply. The brush size works now. The trick was in setting exactly the same shortcut. I used before other shortcut and it did not work, after I set the alt-shift-ctr-h, it started working.

Thank you.
Gareee

Post by Gareee »

Hmmm I have english photoshop cs3, english ketboard, bound cntrl+alt_shift+h to the navigator, but I've no idea how to make it adjust brush size.

Do you just select a brush, and then rotate the cap to adjust size? If so, mine's not working.