3dx Driver Software Will Not Install?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

electrostatic

3dx Driver Software Will Not Install?

Post by electrostatic »

I'm trying to install the 3dx Serial software on a 64 bit XP machine. I have done this successfully on 2 other machines, but it's been a while...

When I run setup (Both 3DxSoftware_v2-8-2 and 3DxSoftware_v2-6-5) it says it completed, but it doesn't actually install anything.. at all. If I click on "custom" on the install it just gives a list of plug ins... but no drivers...

Am I missing something?

Chris
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Dear Chris,

3DxSoftware 2.8.2 is legacy software. It was for pre-64bit Windows. Currently 3DxSoftware 3.4.2 has been designed for working with the newer operating systems, Vista and 64 bit Windows. and with the newer applications that use these operating systems. These applications, operating systems, and drivers require USB devices.

If you have legacy serial devices and legacy applications that you want to use, I would recommend matching it to the legacy operating system you were using at that time. Our generic driver would be listed as '3DxWare'.

Sincerely,
Bryan
electrostatic

Post by electrostatic »

Odd... We have serial space mouse plus's running on 64 bit OS's already... we have for a couple years.

Edit: Support Info for 3DxWare - Publisher: 3Dconnexion, Version 5.03.0003
Running on Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, Version 2003, Service Pack 2

Space Mouse Model: Logitech Space Mouse Plus, P37 series

Programs Compatible with: Catia V5, CGTECH Vericut, Google Earth
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi electrostatic,

There was never official support for serial devices on x64 systems. There were some version of the software that did support it but only experimentally.
Nuno Gomes
livengood

Post by livengood »

I was running on a 64 bit box with a serial spaceball 5000 until I got a hardware update. With the new box I was having the same problem as you describe. I called support and they told me "to bad, by a USB version". I poked around and had luck with the following driver:
3DxSoftware_v2-3-4_win32.exe

It loaded and worked fine. I don't get any Pro/E plugin pre done button s but I did my own. The one issue I did have was after creating my onw configuration if I switched to a no proe window it would change configurations back to "any" and would not auto change back to Pro/E. A bit frustrating. I fixed this by changing the removing the standard any.scg and replacing it with a copy of my user configuration and renaming it any.scg. This worked for me since I only use the spaceball for Pro/E.

Hope this helps!!! and good luck to everyone tring to get there existing serial equipment to work instead of handing over $$ for a new
USB version when there are no perks except other than enabling the support team to avoid the topic.
albertomaffi

Post by albertomaffi »

Is there any possibility to get that drivers?
I'm in the same condition and I'm not able to run the spaceball with any kind of available driver on vista 64 bit.

thanks
Alberto