Spaceball 5000 Serial Plug and Play is Hyperactive

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

kessler.bm

Spaceball 5000 Serial Plug and Play is Hyperactive

Post by kessler.bm »

I have a Spaceball 5000 Serial device.

It works perfectly well using the installked 2.8.2 drivers.

I've also installed the SolidWorks plug-ins from 3.5.6. This works fine too.

However, recently I seem to have screwed up my Windows XP Pro installation while *trying* and failing to install Adobe RoboHelp (which I never did get working). I've managed to fix almost everything on my computer, however, every time I boot the computer, it tells me that it has detected a new Spaceball 5000 and that it wants to install the drivers and wants to know where they are.

But I don't have a driver disk, I just have the *.exe files I downloaded and which PnP doesn't recognize as what it is looking for.

Is there any way to make this dialog go away?

-Brian.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Moving this post to the general thread. It isn't a developer issue.
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Hi Brian,

It seems as something went wrong with your installation. I do not know if this error has something to do with the usage of new Add-ins with the old serial-driver. However you can try to perform a full re-install, that should fix your problems.
Robert Stadie
kessler.bm

Post by kessler.bm »

I've tried completely uninstalling both drivers, rebooting the machine, installing one driver, rebooting the machine, and then installing the other driver, but it did not fix the issue.

Is there something that I should check for, perhaps in the registry, and remove manually?

BTW, there is a second part to the problem that I neglected to mention. After I tell it to cancel the device install, I get a message saying that the device mentioned in the registry can't be found and gives me a choice between searching again, not searching, or searching without asking, with a warning it may take several minutes.

(I imagine that this probably will share the same fix, but I don't know if it can help with diagnosing the problem).

-Brian.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Kessler,
It looks like Windows is misidentifying the device.

Unplug the device. Leave it unplugged.
Open the control panel
select System
Hardware
Device manager
Look for anything with a ? for unknown devices
right click and uninstall or remove.
Reboot the pc.
After it reboots log back in donot plug in the device until after all the icons finish loading.

3Dconnexion driver will launch and say no device found in registry
Plug in the device and let it retry.

If you continue to see no device can be detected.
You may have to change the startup file to point to the correct Com port.

(Specify com port.

1. Go to Start...Programs...3dxonnexion...3dxware...(right click) on "Start Driver" go to "properties".

2. Edit the "Target" line.

Old Line:
"C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxSrv.exe" -searchWarnDlg

New line:
"C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxSrv.exe" -com 1

3. save configuration

4. Start driver.
kessler.bm

Post by kessler.bm »

Fred,

I tried your suggestion, but when I rebooted the computer, the PnP problem came back.

The computer also developed a new problem where it tells me that the 3Dconnexion driver is already loaded. Ironically, it did this just before it told me that it wanted me to install the driver again.

Fortunately, the other problem described (asking about searching for the device) seems to have gone away (possibly because I told it not to warn me about that anymore).

Any idea how I can make my computer completely forget about the current installation of the Spaceball so I can try really reinstalling from scratch, since I had no problems with it when I initially installed it?

Or is there an installation package which the PnP installer will recognize, since it doesn't recognize the EXE distribution?
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Hi,

Please use the link to our knowledgebase we already posted:
http://www.3dconnexion.eu/support/kb/?V ... EntryID=28 - that should resolve these problems.
Robert Stadie
kessler.bm

Post by kessler.bm »

rstadie wrote:Hi,

Please use the link to our knowledgebase we already posted:
http://www.3dconnexion.eu/support/kb/?V ... EntryID=28 - that should resolve these problems.
Tried this, but it didn't fix the problem either.

I'm not entirely certain that this completely cleaned the system from previous traces of the 3dconnexion software either. Actually, I'm pretty sure it didn't since, not only did I find plenty of other references to 3DConnexion in the registry (which I deleted), but when I went to reinstall the software, the software remembered the exact options I selected in the custom install....

Short of disabling plug-and-pray, is there a way to just make that screen telling me that the Spaceball has been detected to go away and stay away? Without, of course, disrupting the perfectly functional spaceball.