Spacemouse Plus Serial not working in Solidworks 2008

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

NevilleW

Spacemouse Plus Serial not working in Solidworks 2008

Post by NevilleW »

I own a spacemouse Plus Serial and after I have upgraded to Solidworks 2008 I find it no longer works. When I start up Solidworks 2007 the device works
I have read here in the forums that it appears 3dConnexion has dumped support for serial devices in this software.

If this is the case I would like to respectfully suggest that 3Dconnexion reinstate support for these devices.
There are alot of us who cannot just afford to go and "buy the latest upgrade".
I very much resent this attitude by computer companies who feel everyone out there can just go out and spend more money all the time to buy the latest version of there product and improve their bottom line financial position at the detriment of the users financial position.
PLEASE ENABLE THE FUNCTIONALITY OF THE SERIAL SPACEMOUSE. THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THIS SORT OF ARROGANT BEHAVIOUR OF RENDERING A PERFECTLY GOOD DEVICE USELESS, BY WHAT APPEARS TO ME TO BE SOME SORT OF MARKETING DECISION.
nEV
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

NevilleW,

It was a decision by SolidWorks to discontinue support for our serial devices.
Chris
NevilleW

Post by NevilleW »

ChrisH wrote:NevilleW,

It was a decision by SolidWorks to discontinue support for our serial devices.
Are you sure about this.
I have been trying different options and downloaded 3DxSoftware_v3-5-6.exe for Spacemouse. I uninstalled the driver for solid works thenstarted the software install and deselected for 3-5-6 and only selected driver for solidworks v 2-11-0.
Now it works fine in both versions.
nEV
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi NevilleW,

Actually, what SolidWorks removed in SW2008 was the support for the type of add-in shipped in the software for serial 3D mice.

This matter has been discussed extensively in the Forum.

Please refer to this KB article regarding the support status for 3Dconnexion discontinued hardware products.
Nuno Gomes