Axis orientation in solidworks

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

bobobo

Axis orientation in solidworks

Post by bobobo »

Hi
I'm using a spacenavigator.
Is it possible to align the "navigator"-axis to the models coordinate system?
Now the movements are done relative to the display as i see it.
The zoom must of course be relative to screen but the rotation and pan would be more logical relative to the model.
I mean thet the top of knop should represent the top of the model.

/Mattias
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Dear bobobo,

In the '3Dconnexion Control Panel', you are given the choice between 2 zoom orientations under the 'Device Configuration Tab'. You may find one or the other more suitable to your use.

Under the 'Advanced Settings Tab', you are given further control in that you may reverse the direction of a motion, should you find that more beneficial to your current use.

Sincerely,
Bryan
bobobo

Post by bobobo »

Yes i know about the directions and z/y switch but that is not what i want.

Marketing it says that with spacenavigator you turn the model as if you hold it in your hand. But that is true only if you think that you grab the model in the position it's shown on screen imagine your arm is perpendicular to screen. but i want the top of the spacenavigator knob should be the top of the model.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Let me pose a question: If we map the device to the model coordinates and you rotated the part around 180 degrees, then you push the SpaceNavigator to the right, the part would go to the left (because it would be mapped to the positive X axis). If you rotated it another 90 degrees, it would then come toward you as you still pushed to the right. Is this what you want? Seems a bit difficult to predict what it will do a priori.

Do you want this for a particular mode? Say in a mode in which you are moving parts relative to each other, trying to be precise?
bobobo

Post by bobobo »

Hmm
Yes i guess that is what i mean.
Maybe it would be better to keep the pan like it is and just change the rotational axes.

I think it feels strange when looking at a model in isometric view and i rotate the knob (turn around axis perpendicular to table) the model turns upside down instead of showing me the back-side.
jwick

Post by jwick »

That doesn't sound right. It should show you the back-side. ... or have you switched the zoom direction? That also switches the related rotation axes, but I can show you how to change that.