New problem after 1 year of success

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

laserguy

New problem after 1 year of success

Post by laserguy »

I use the space navigator for both Autodesk Inventor and Google Sketchup. No problems for over a year. System is AMD 64 -3400 processor 1 Gig memory running XP.

Today when I opened a medium sized drawing in Sketchup I noticed that when I would momentarily tap a motion it would "spool" up that motion and continue it for several seconds after I have released. This is not an issue that a "calibration" seems to fix. It is as if the USB port is storing up several hundred of the commands and running them long after release. There is another way of proving this. When I do a spin right (about 1/2 second) then a spin left (about 1/2 second) and release, the image starts to spin right, continues to spin right after I have released for about 10 seconds, then it turns and spins left for about 10 seconds.

I did some additional experiments to try to narrow down the problem.

1. When I open a "new file" in sketchup that has only a couple of lines there is no problem. Touch, rotate, release, and the system responds properly. So the navigator hardware seems fine and it seems to be a "large file" issue.

2. I opened Autodesk Inventor with a large file. Problem occurs.

3. Downloaded latest driver. Problem still occurs.

4. Tried a different USB port. Problem still occurs.

I started to think that it was a problem with my RAM or Video driver, but I can rotate the drawing just fine with a mouse using the traditional middle button rotate, so I can only assume RAM and Video are OK.

There is one more interesting clue to provide. When I open the calibration screen, the motions on the drawing sitting behind the calibration screen start to work properly. I was beginning to think I would just minimize the calibration screen and continue my work, but as soon as I click on the drawing to bring it to the foreground, the problem rears it's ugly head again.

Any suggestions?
jwick

Post by jwick »

Have you installed anything recently that may run in the background. It sounds like the driver isn't getting timely access to the USB port when it is running in the background (as opposed to when you bring the GUI to the foreground). Guilty parties may be virus software updates, any sort of logging software, disk caching, ...
laserguy

Post by laserguy »

Indeed I just upgraded from Trend Micro Internet security 2007 to the 2008 version. Perhaps I'll have to roll back or turn off some of the features.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi laserguy,

Check the options of Internet Security and see if you can the settings that control USB scanning. If you find something along those lines, try disabling it.

If changing the options does not help, uninstall the anti-virus, reboot the machine and test. This is just for verification purposes. We do not recommend you use your machine without active security tools.
laserguy

Post by laserguy »

Found no option to disable USB scanning. Uninstalled Trend Micro Internet Security 2008. Tested navigator, works fine. Reverted back to Trend Micro Internet Security version 2007 and everything is working fine. I'll write a note to the folks at Trend Micro to let them know they have an issue.

Thanks for your help! Now that I've gained experience with your product I don't know how I could work without it.