No Photoshop users?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Elfen

No Photoshop users?

Post by Elfen »

Hey, was just wondering why no one replied to my last message.

All I want to know is if other people experience a problem with panning and zooming in Photoshop CS3.

That is, not been able to pan and zoom simultaneeously, but had to zoom, then pan, then zoom again, then pan etc.
Smiler

Re: No Photoshop users?

Post by Smiler »

Elfen wrote:Hey, was just wondering why no one replied to my last message.

All I want to know is if other people experience a problem with panning and zooming in Photoshop CS3.

That is, not been able to pan and zoom simultaneeously, but had to zoom, then pan, then zoom again, then pan etc.
Yes, same thing seen here, CS3 Extended & SpacePilot, latest drivers.
Regards, Jeff.
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

Photoshop CS3 support is available within 3D layers and 2D mode.

In a 3D layer, you should be able to pan and zoom at the same time. If you're not able to do this, make sure "Dominant" mode is not checked on the 3Dconnexion control panel.

In 2D mode, pan and zoom are individual operations and can not be combined. Photoshop does not offer this capability to our plug-in.
Elfen

Post by Elfen »

Heh, at last, an answer... Thanks.
So, I guess I should be yelling at Adobe about this one, right? Since they make both the app and the plugin...
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

3Dconnexion develops the plug-in for Photoshop. We've requested from Adobe an enhancement to their API that will allow us to pan and zoom at the same time. No idea yet on when, or if, this will happen.
Elfen

Post by Elfen »

So the SDK is for the companies to integrate, to make it possible for 3dconnexion to make plugins that works with the apps?
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

The SDK allows companies to add support for 3Dconnexion devices themselves. In the case of Photoshop, they have not used our SDK so support is provided by us via a plugin. This plugin works with the programming tools Photoshop provides and, at this time, these tools don't allow us to combine pan and zoom movement for 2D.
Elfen

Post by Elfen »

So all the Autodesk plugins are a result of Autodesk providing a plugin SDK with their packages?
And they haven't done anything beyond that, to make it possible to use your devices with their products, that's all something you guys have done with their SDKs?

So the reason why you say we should confront Autodesk with the lack of support for 3Dconnexion devices in Mudbox, is that you can't make a plugin for it yourself, because there is no plugin support in Mudbox?

And to make it possible to improve the Photoshop <-> 3Dx Device experience, we should bug Adobe to extend their SDK, or add native support?
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

We have talked to all the major 3D application vendors and discussed the benefits of our 3D mouse technology. Some of these vendors have implemented native support which provides the best user experience. Others have provided a plug-in infrastructure that allowed us to add support for the application. Still others are trying to find the opportunity to work this into their development schedule.

Most application vendors value the opinion of their users and help guide their development efforts. Letting them know of your opinion will hopefully help get 3D mice support in all 3D applications.
sorin

Post by sorin »

let me give you another view.

you write your own application, like Photoshop or 3dsmax or whatever.
and you decide to let others improve the application so you provide an SDK so other people than the original programmers could develop plugins to extend the app. the more functions that SDK provides the better. what we want here is a method of altering the viewport, images or objects by programming.

the 3d mouse is a standard 6 axes human interface device. but usually applications don't provide, by default, inputs other than a standard mouse and keyboard. 3d mices and paint tablets require special programming. if the developers of that application provide with their SDK ways of moving, rotating, panning etc of the viewport or image then a plugin can be used to link those SDK functions/calls to a device like a 3d mouse or tablet.

so there are 2 ways of doing it. 3dconnexion can extend the app which provides an SDK by a plugin (like for 3dsmax, maya, autocad etc) or the app developers could use the 3dconnexion's SDK from the beginning and enable 3d devices with that app.

also nothing stops someone from developing another 3dsmax or autocad plugin that fits better his needs. just get the app and 3dconnexions' sdk and get them talk to each other :)

Mudbox, kinda recently acquired by Autodesk, or Revit, don't have in their SDK methods of altering the viewport. everything is hard coded to a standard mouse and keyboard. there is nothing anyone can do until they implement in the SDK viewport and object navigation functions.