Google Earth and Space Navigator

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

bengedlow

Google Earth and Space Navigator

Post by bengedlow »

It is working out of the box. I noticed I could get the system preferences adjustments to work ... aha ... but then realised I had to set the 'configure' button at the top. All is working. I'm delighted.

One question: As I fly around Google Earth of course it is a bit jagged, stuttering, given this is a laptop with only 2G's of RAM ... what I'm wondering is: if I set this up on a faster Mac tower with say 8G's of RAM, is there a chance I could get the 'flying' to run smoother, less stuttering? Will Google Earth work smoother with more speed and more RAM?

Ben
bengedlow
Bryan

Speeding Google Earth

Post by Bryan »

Dear bengedlow,

It is a long chain of events that precede the displaying of graphics. Any and all of which do take a finite amount of time to process. Individually or combined they can contribute to extending this time to a length that becomes more noticeable that desired. It's difficult to say which combinations of all these events may be causing the greatest delay. Often times only experimentation becomes the only way to actually determine this. My first suspects for the weekest link in this chain would be your internet connection. Google Earth imagery is streamed to you over the Internet. This animation is developed on the fly in response to your controls and thereby also makes great demands on the server as to which direction, at what resolution needs to be displayed next is contantly being decided by your movements. I would experiment with different internet connections and testing on different equipment. You may currently be limited not by your equipment but by your internet connection or server response. Also, graphic cards can make a larger difference that amount of ram.
bengedlow

Post by bengedlow »

Hi Bryon,

Thanks for you comments. I'm actually working with the downloaded Google Earth app ... so there should be no server issues.

Later this week I'm going to run the thing on a much faster RAM jammed unit ... to see if this will any difference. I suspect it will.

Ben
bengedlow