spacenavigator an HID device?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

gurzil

spacenavigator an HID device?

Post by gurzil »

I may get a SpaceNavigator based on MIDI Navigator alone, but what would be much better for me is if the SN shows up as an HID device. This works easily with the software I use (SuperCollider & pd).

So, does it show up as an HID device with all six axes available (in HID explorer, etc) ?

tia.
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

The SpaceNavigator is a standard multi-axis controller HID device. It will be detected properly by OS X and you should be able to access it using the HID Manager for instance.

One nice thing with our driver is it will allow you to control the speed and axis transformations even though you're working with it through HID. Just add your application to the 3Dconnexion preference pane.
gurzil

Post by gurzil »

Nice. Now for the bonus question. (:

Can the driver handle two of them plugged into the same machine?
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

Great bonus question :)

The driver will work with multiple devices plugged into the same machine. However, the preference pane does not differentiate between the various devices. Any setting you apply will be used for all devices.
cip22

Post by cip22 »

Perhaps a better question for a SuperCollider Forum, but perhaps someone here could share some insight also.

Just tried to use my new Spacenavigator in SC, but I get an error:
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

SpaceNavigator is still a HID device and should be visible to systems that are looking for a multi-axis controller. You may want to confirm what types of HID devices SC is looking for.
cip22

Post by cip22 »

Great. I wasn't aware that I had to pass the usage page/usage parameters when looking for the device. Works. :-)