Space Pilot and Inventor IDW printing issue

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Todd Hudgins

Space Pilot and Inventor IDW printing issue

Post by Todd Hudgins »

The boarders in my IDWs have line weights assigned for the outer boarder and the title blocks. Recently we have been having IDWs print without the weights showing. I have tracked this down to the Space Pilot. The line weights flicker in and out as I touch the Space Pilot. Since IV is WYSIWYG, if the line weights are not shown when you hit print, then they do not print. The reaction to this is different for different users and different machines. I have found that if you stop the driver, everything works fine.

The space pilot is not needed in the IDW environment so a easy resolution would be to not have the driver working in that environment. I can not seem to fine a way to do that.

Turning the driver on and off just to print is wasting to much of our time.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Todd,
Although 3Dconnexion distributes an add-in for Inventor, it exists to extend the use of the device buttons in the application.
Navigation with our 3D controllers is implemented in Inventor by Autodesk, not 3Dconnexion.
From what you describe, the issue appears to be in the application. In these case, we advise our customer to contact Autodesk an explain the problem, in as much detail as possible.
We appreciate if you could post here any information regarding this matter that you may receive from them.
Nuno Gomes
Todd Hudgins

Autodesk Responce

Post by Todd Hudgins »

I put in a support request about this with ADSK and here is their responce.

Thank you for the information, I will log this with our developers as a heads up. Since the issue goes away when the drivers are stopped the issue really needs to be addressed with the 3D Connection. As a developer, they are responsible for their drivers.

One option may be to download the latest drivers from their site to see if this resolves the issue.

I am running the lastest drivers.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Todd,
3Dconnexion is indeed responsible for our drivers in the same way that Autodesk is responsible for their applications.
The fact that the "line weights flicker in and out" is a clear indication that the problem needs to be located by an Autodesk developer. This behaviour is consistent with the driver sending the motion data when the user grabs the device cap and the application acting upon that data. Our drivers are not changing nor drawing to the view.
If you have a issue tracking number from Autodesk on this matter, please send it to me by a private message.
mcincoski

Post by mcincoski »

I recently purchased the SpaceNavigator, and it works great except for the conflict with my computer. I am actually using the Beta driver for Windows 2000, but I have the same problems when printing thru Inventor. I understand that this may be a problem for AutoDesk, but I wanted to let you know that my system acts the same way?? The lineweights are messed up when the SpaceNavigator is active. As soon as I stop the driver, the lineweights go back to normal?? Let me know if you have any other suggestions...
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi mcincoski,
See this post and use the "Calibrate". Let us know if it helped (or not).
Nuno Gomes
mcincoski

Post by mcincoski »

You are correct - Thanks!!
As soon as I calibrated the device, my computer works much better! It must have been trying to move constantly with it being out of calibration?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi mcincoski,
It must have been trying to move constantly with it being out of calibration?
That's right. "Out of calibration" means that the rest position as defined in the internal microprocessor is ever so slightly different to the physical relaxed position (nothing pushing against) of the cap.
This normally occurs if the device is left with something pushed against it for a lengthy period of time. For example, upside down inside a suitcase.