Draftsight zooming bug

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Georro

Re: Draftsight zooming bug

Post by Georro »

jwick wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:27 am XML is case sensitive. If that isn't a typo, it must be lower case (true).
Just swapped back to "HIDMultiAxis_Y" and played around with axis reversal "true" vs "false" in every combination for Y and Z axes. As I suspected there is some dependency within the DraftSight add in because when one is switched, the other mirrors regardless of what the axis reversal is set to in the XML. For now it looks like the only option is the mouse wheel zoom on the Y axis that I posted above unless someone knows of a way to edit the DraftSight add in.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Perhaps you can PM your file to me.
Which version of Draftsight are you running?
Georro

Post by Georro »

PM sent. Running DraftSight 2019 x64 SP3 with 3DxWare 10.8.3
jwick

Post by jwick »

I think I see what you are referring to.

They seem to have a model where you are panning by pushing the drawing left/right & up/down. But zooming reacts as if you are moving yourself, not the drawing. And if you try to fix the zooming direction, so you are pushing the drawing, then the pan up/down axis reverses.

I do see that the app is often asking the driver what the settings for the axes are. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say they are trying to guess that you are trying to change the orientation of the device. It doesn't work very well... I prefer when apps let the user do what he wants to do w/o interfering.

Please file a bug report with them. All change requests need to start with a customer. If they need our help (they don't), they will contact us.

Unfortunately, it is not an add-in that we have any control over. I have no idea if it is an add-in they can easily change, or if it part of the core executable.

In the meantime, I don't have any sort of hack for you to get it to work.

Changing to the mousewheel is probably all you can do if you don't like their mode of operation.

I didn't find it so objectionable having zoom work one way and the two pans work the other (with Rotations turned off - 2D drawing). For 3D (rotations on), of course, it is completely uncontrollable.
Georro

Post by Georro »

Thanks for the reply, I'll give them a shout.

I agree it's possible to get used to the reversed zoom direction in DS but unfortunately it's hard switching back and forth between that and Solidworks/Adobe for looking at 2D drawings. I'll update this thread if I receive anything other than an automated response from DraftSight.
Georro

Post by Georro »

Here's an update for anyone who's interested.

After contacting support and having them reproduce the issue I finally received a notice today that the fix will likely be implemented in Draftsight 2022 SP2.