SolidWorks add-in won't load

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Dave_v

Re: SolidWorks add-in won't load

Post by Dave_v »

Wow! It loaded! I rebooted and fired up SW and the Space Explorer works! I couldn't resist :-)

I haven't uninstalled the driver yet. Questions:

Since it appears to be working is there a reason to uninstall the driver?

If I should do an uninstall, which version should I reinstall? 10.4.3 or 10.6.4? My understanding is that 10.6.4 is the last driver compatible with the Space Explorer. Is there an advantage in the 10.6.4 driver?

Thank you so much!

Dave
Dave_v

Post by Dave_v »

I should add my Spacer Explorer is (USB) if that makes a difference.

Regards,

Dave
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Dave_v wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:58 pm Since it appears to be working is there a reason to uninstall the driver?
We know the registration was messed up. The effort to sort it out isn't reasonable and you'd want to ensure that you have as clean a system as possible. So, our recommendation is to do a full uninstall, reboot and reinstall of the driver.
Is there an advantage in the 10.6.4 driver?
Usually, newer is better but your mileage may vary. Since it is such an old device, you're probably the one to judge that (whatever works well for you, use it).
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Dave_v wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:15 pm I should add my Spacer Explorer is (USB) if that makes a difference.
We had a SpaceExplorer Serial at one point. I think the 10.x drivers were always USB-only.
Dave_v

Post by Dave_v »

Do you have a preferred uninstall method? Windows? Or?

David V gave me quite the lengthy uninstall protocol... It involves starting with the Microsoft "Fix It Tool", next is "Wise Program Uninstaller", followed by deleting two AppData folders, and finishing by deleting a folder in the registry. BTW, didn't do anything for my issue, but it was worth a shot. I did it twice...

If a simple Windows uninstall is all it takes I don't want to tempt fate :-)

Thank you for all your time!

Regards,

Dave
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Dave_v wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:22 am Do you have a preferred uninstall method? Windows? Or?
The recommended method is always to go to the "Apps & features" panel in the Settings app, select the app ("3Dconnexion 3DxWare 10"), click uninstall and follow the wizard instructions.

The method David V shared with you is the process to clean up the installation and should only be attempted if the standard method (as in the previous paragraph) hits a problem just like you had before.
Dave_v

Post by Dave_v »

It uninstalled without issue :-)

10.4.3 installed without issue and seems to be working great!

When the computer fired back up after the uninstall my SpyHunter popped up with an update, I downloaded it and ran it. It found a few bad items... Then just for fun I ran RegHunter 2 and I was shocked how much it found, I've never seen so many issues! 3599! Since it makes a backup I took a chance and let it clean it up... Fired back up without without issue, installed 10.4.3 and tested it, life is good :-)

Thank you for your time and patience!!! Have a great weekend!

Best regards,

Dave
Dave_v

Post by Dave_v »

I've been running Windows 10 and SW22 with the SpaceExplorer and I've been happy except for there's no option to calibrate motion. The SpaceExplorer with start drifting and I have to unplug it (USB) because it has an effect on most everything as a scrolling mouse! Even with SW I have to hold the part still to preform functions.

I was just about to give in and order the SpaceMouse Pro just to get the CALIBRATION feature. That is until I read the reviews for the SpaceMouse Pro, seems that it's got a big problem with the rubber cushion parts becoming sticky and gummy with in a couple of years! I'm in Florida and everything suffers from that, if something suffers from that elsewhere, it will be really bad here!

My SpaceExplorer is holding up like new! Really happy with it other than the lack of being able to calibrate it.

Will driver 10.8.15 be compatible with SpaceExplorer and have the ability for calibration?

Dave
Ps.
I asked Chat GPT to write a driver for me, it's answer:
Write a hardware driver for a 3dConnexion SpaceEplorer to work with windows 10, solidworks 2022 and have the ability to motion calibrate.

Writing a hardware driver for a specific device like the 3Dconnexion SpaceExplorer requires low-level programming and access to the device specifications, which are not publicly available. However, I can provide you with a general outline of the steps involved and the required components to develop such a driver.

To develop a hardware driver for the 3Dconnexion SpaceExplorer that works with Windows 10 and SolidWorks 2022, you will typically need the following components:

Development Environment:

Install a compatible Integrated Development Environment (IDE) like Visual Studio.
Set up a C/C++ development environment.
Device Driver Kit:

Download and install Windows Driver Kit (WDK), which provides the necessary tools, libraries, and documentation for driver development.
Device Driver Framework:

Familiarize yourself with driver development concepts, including Windows Kernel Mode Driver Framework (KMDF) or Windows Driver Model (WDM).
Choose the appropriate framework for your driver implementation.
Device Documentation:

Obtain the official device documentation and specifications for the 3Dconnexion SpaceExplorer. This information is usually provided by the manufacturer.
Driver Architecture:

Decide on the kind of driver you want to develop. A common approach is to develop a kernel-mode driver to directly communicate with the device.
Driver Implementation:

Use the provided device documentation to understand the device's communication protocol, commands, and features.
Implement the driver code that handles device initialization, communication, and data processing.
Develop the necessary code to handle input events from the SpaceExplorer, such as motion, button presses, and other custom functions.
Implement the driver code required to integrate with SolidWorks 2022, such as exposing appropriate interface, handling application-specific events, and mapping device input to SolidWorks functionality.
Motion Calibration:

Incorporate motion calibration by adding functions to allow the user to calibrate the device according to their requirements. This may involve offering user-friendly adjusting options through a GUI or integrating calibration directly within the driver.
Testing and Debugging:

Test the driver implementation thoroughly to ensure its compatibility with Windows 10 and SolidWorks 2022.
Use debugging tools provided by the WDK, such as WinDbg, to diagnose and fix any errors or issues encountered during development.
It's worth noting that developing a hardware driver is a complex task that requires deep understanding of driver development, Windows internals, and details about the device. Additionally, you may need to obtain necessary permissions and documentation from 3Dconnexion to develop a driver for their device.

If you're not experienced in driver development, it may be more practical to rely on the official drivers provided by 3Dconnexion, as they are developed by the manufacturer and typically meet the required standards for compatibility and functionality.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Dave_v wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:13 pm Will driver 10.8.15 be compatible with SpaceExplorer and have the ability for calibration?
If using a discontinued device, you can check here for the latest driver version that supports it.

In the case of a SpaceMouse Explorer, version 10.6.4 should work and I think it has a calibrate feature but I'm not sure. Version 10.6.4 can be downloaded from the archive.
jflachance

Post by jflachance »

ngomes wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:35 am
A good workaround is to run the exact installer for the software that you had before. If you don't know what this, check the %TEMP% directory. You will find a set of "3DxWare...log" files, the installer log files. There will be one for the SOLIDWORKS add-in, the 3DxWinCore driver and more. If you find the files, put them in a zip package and use a file share service (say Dropbox, GDrive, OneDrive, etc) to send it us over a private message.

Note: don't share log files on publicly accessible web sites such as this topic page. The installer files are unlikely to contain any confidential information but it is best to be on the safe side.
Hi,
I run Solidworks 2017 on win10 and for some reason my old Space Navigator stopped working so I tried to update the driver but something got messed up in the add-in for solidworks. My SpaceNavigator works in the 3DConnexion viewer but not in Solidworks. I see the 3Dconnexion add-in in the extensions but I can't activate it. I tried to go to the previous version of the driver but I don't remeber the version that was working.

You said to look in the %temp% folder... is it in C:\Users\****\AppData\Local\Temp\3Dconnexion\Installation?
If it is, can I send you my files so you can tell me which version to re-install so I can uninstall it and start fresh?

Thanks!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

jflachance wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:54 am I run Solidworks 2017 on win10 and for some reason my old Space Navigator stopped working so I tried to update the driver but something got messed up in the add-in for solidworks.
Did you try uninstall whatever version of 3DxWare 10 you're using and then installing the latest (v. 10.8.15 as I write this)?

Version 10.8.15 should work fine with both SW2017 and your SpaceNavigator.
jflachance

Post by jflachance »

Did you try uninstall whatever version of 3DxWare 10 you're using and then installing the latest (v. 10.8.15 as I write this)?
I did an uninstall so now I don't see any 3Dconnexion folder. But when I go in solidworks I see in the list of add-ons the 3Dconnexion add-on and it shows version 3.6.0.20358.
I looked in the old drivers section and the oldest I see is 3.16.3. Is it possible to get the 3.6.0.20358?
Attachments
3Dconnexion add-in.jpg
3Dconnexion add-in.jpg (81.1 KiB) Viewed 8350 times
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

The add-in is not enabled. If you enabled it, everything should go back to normal.

I do not recall seeing an issue where the add-in was listed but could not be "activated".

Anyway and if you wish to use an older version, you can search the archive here.
jflachance

Post by jflachance »

ngomes wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:45 am The add-in is not enabled. If you enabled it, everything should go back to normal.

I do not recall seeing an issue where the add-in was listed but could not be "activated".

Anyway and if you wish to use an older version, you can search the archive here.
I tried enabling it but it won't. It shouldn't even show since I uninstalled it and I can't see any 3Dconnexion folder on my computer. Is there somewhere else I could check to make sure there is not a deep buried folder or file that is still in there?
I realized though that the version showing there is the add-on version not the 3dxware version so I would have to have a way to know the version of the add-in in each 3dxware version... Do you know how I could do that?

I tried installing the newest software. I can see my 3d mouse and can work with it in the little viewer included in the 3dxware but I dont see it in solidworks and it doesn't add another version of the add-on in the list of add-ons in solidworks.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

jflachance wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:21 am a way to know the version of the add-in in each 3dxware version... Do you know how I could do that?
The "release notes" documentation has such information.
I tried installing the newest software. I can see my 3d mouse and can work with it in the little viewer included in the 3dxware but I dont see it in solidworks and it doesn't add another version of the add-on in the list of add-ons in solidworks.
I do not recall seeing this sort of issue before but try installing older versions of 3DxWare 10 and see if you can enable the add-in. If the add-in is still present in the "Add-In Manager" after you have uninstalled 3DxWare 10, then something is clearly wrong. The application is picking up the add-in somehow (normally from the Registry), bypassing the implemented process.