3D Mouse not working with Cinema 4D on M1 Mac

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

epcd

Re: 3D Mouse not working with Cinema 4D on M1 Mac

Post by epcd »

kasteph wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:59 am Seriously -- is this a political issue between Maxon an 3D Connexion?
no issue, just business, to sell more 3dmouse!!!!!!!
kasteph

Post by kasteph »

Thank you @maxon and @3dconnexion for finally solving this. There are still some bugs in C4D 2023.2.0 and the space mouse is lost sometimes, but we can use this. I am sure with time the glitches will disappear as well.
Kenneth

Post by Kenneth »

Hi,

Just installed the new C4D update and the correct driver for my 3D Mouse, all works great in simple scenes. But in my much heavier scenes I get massive lag, which I don't have moving around with the C4D controls (which I hate). Anyone have a solution for this?

Also, I used to invert the translations controls in C4D, the only solution I found is to do this in the 3dconnexion settings now, is there another way?

I'm not on an M1 Mac, 2013 Trashcan Mac Pro but this seems the only place people are talking about this.

Thanks!
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

Kenneth wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:04 am But in my much heavier scenes I get massive lag, which I don't have moving around with the C4D controls (which I hate).

I'm not on an M1 Mac, 2013 Trashcan Mac Pro
I experienced similar in the past.

If files are too crowded to realistically being able to work and lags when navigating in 3D expected,
in Apps like Bricscad, Vectorworks, Modo and maybe also C4D, but that is too long ago to remember.

That there is a difference in speed/FPS between navigating with default mouse and shortcuts vs 3DCon.

E.g. in Bricscad on Mac it may be laggy in mouse nav but surprisingly fluid with space navigator,
while on Windows it may be the opposite, mouse fast and space nav lagging.
Or it may have the opposite behavior in different Apps.

That was basically the same large project, converted into all Apps for testing.
I also have a 6 core D700 trash can, but don't know for sure, could also have been with M1 Mini 16 GB
or both. And Windows 10/11 on a Ryzen 3950X, 64 GB RAM and RTX 2070 8 GB VRAM (at that time)

Never understood what could cause such a behavior.
Kenneth

Post by Kenneth »

Yeah, In the past I also had lag with spacemouse in heavier scenes. But it was still a bit usable, it was just lagging in movement but followed my input as intended.

Now, the lag is very different. After moving the spacemouse, I get a beachball and then after that (like 5-10 seconds), it moves and moves way too far and unpredictable. And thus makes this not usable for me...

Very strange, in my 13 years working with C4D I've never had this problem.
brutesque

Post by brutesque »

I have the same issue with lag. I have to revert to C4D 2023.1.3 using rosetta, to be able to continue working. In my project the mouse will play out the lagged input for 20-30 seconds. While my project is not small, it's not a problem with the project. The normal navigation in C4D works without any latency or lag. It's instant.
brutesque

Post by brutesque »

I'm also having these lag issues. Lag with the space navigator versus native navigation has been getting worse for the last few years. I have to revert to C4D 2023.1.3 using Rosetta, for my Space Navigator to behave somewhat reasonable.
While my project is not small, it's not an issue with the project size. The native navigation, using the 1,2,3 shortcuts, works instant and latency free. Currently testing C4D 2023.2.1. I deleted all the 3DConnexion config files in `~/Libary/Preferences` to reset everything, to no avail. The input lag in my project on a M1 Max is 20-30 seconds. I can even cmd-tab to this safari window and see C4D still playing out lagged input in the background.
Peter Fagerberg

Post by Peter Fagerberg »

Yeah, the new working 3DConnexion driver lag is making it entirely unusable when scene files become a bit larger. I'm on M1 Ultra, and once I hit scene files with +2-3M polys the lag is almost unbearable. I get a spinning beach ball for 3-4 seconds every time I touch the Space Mouse, and then the viewport flies off with cached movements. Right now, I'm working with a scene file with 24M polys, and I don't even think of touching the Space Mouse.

The native C4D navigation is of course as spiffy as usual. I believe 3DConnexion has to rethink its driver implementation because this one sadly doesn't work for the work we do daily.

This might be a really stupid question but isn't there a way to work with Maxon so that you can hook the Space Mouse directly into C4D's native navigation? Maxon's C4D viewport navigation is super fast, stable and precise, and if 3D mice could just tap into that it seems to me that it would be an ideal solution.
Peter Fagerberg

Peter Fagerberg wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:28 am Yeah, the new working 3DConnexion driver lag is making it entirely unusable when scene files become a bit larger. I'm on M1 Ultra, and once I hit scene files with +2-3M polys the lag is almost unbearable. I get a spinning beach ball for 3-4 seconds every time I touch the Space Mouse, and then the viewport flies off with cached movements. Right now, I'm working with a scene file with 24M polys, and I don't even think of touching the Space Mouse.

The native C4D navigation is of course as spiffy as usual. I believe 3DConnexion has to rethink its driver implementation because this one sadly doesn't work for the work we do daily.

This might be a really stupid question but isn't there a way to work with Maxon so that you can hook the Space Mouse directly into C4D's native navigation? Maxon's C4D viewport navigation is super fast, stable and precise, and if 3D mice could just tap into that it seems to me that it would be an ideal solution.
Still the same problem with the new 10.8.1 (3586) driver. Totally useless with large models. And 3Dconnexion is pushing their "new" Cinema 4D integration in new ads: https://3dconnexion.com/se/applications ... cinema-4d/
"For stunning results, pair 3Dconnexion devices with Cinema 4D software to amplify its 3D capabilities." Really?
Kenneth

Post by Kenneth »

Yes, indeed.

Same problem, totally useless... And I loved working with my Space Mouse the last 15 years.

Are you guys working on a new version?
Wolfnimations

Post by Wolfnimations »

pes wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:22 am Works all right, but there is a strange little icon appearing when I navigate.

Is there any way to remove it? Its annoying
If you go into the Cinema 4D plugins folder and file the 3dx plugin there should be a tiny png file called "3dx_pivot_mirrored" with the icon that is used for this. You can edit the png file to be completely transparent or have a custom crosshair icon that displays in the viewport.
Peter Fagerberg

OK, it seems that my 3D Space Mouse is working again!

I'm running C4D 2024.0.2, MacOS Ventura 13.5.2, 3DxWare 10.8.2 and the Space Mouse works fine. The previous performance issues with large models seem to have been solved. Puh! It only took +3 years... Thanks for finally getting the hardware to work as advertised! :-)

Is anyone still having problems?
brutesque

Post by brutesque »

Yes. My issues are not solved. the mouse "works" from a 5-minute-testing standpoint. As soon i'm actually building a scene, the device becomes completely useless. Mainly delayed execution of the movement commands. But the native viewport navigation shows no indication that the scene is actually to heavy.

My suspicion is that the stupid blue icon is actually trying to use in-scene geometry data to decide on the rotation point. I don't get why they came up with this method, because that was never the case in the past and it's also unwanted behavior imho.
brutesque

Post by brutesque »

I've had moment where i'm waiting for a full minute for the movements to play out. The complete interface becomes unusable for a minute. I don't understand how 3dconnexion tests their implementation and doesn't notice this.
brutesque

Post by brutesque »

I'm just here to contact those who are moderating. You are never going to approve my messages are you? Can't deal with the critique that you keep failing to provide working drivers for apple silicon C4D users? I can't load in any scene in cinema4d and use the 3d mouse effectively. The mouse only works on the surface if i load in a single simple object. But the device has become dead weight when doing any type of serious work.