CadMouse Compact Wireless wheel issue fix

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Balen

CadMouse Compact Wireless wheel issue fix

Post by Balen »

Hi,

I bought a CadMouse Compact Wireless with the amazing SpaceMouse Wireless, however, after a few months of using the mouse, it started to develop issues, unexpected jumps, scroll up and down all by itself, etc. I finally decided to open the mouse and inspect the issue. I found white grease that was applied to the encoder wheel shaft escaped all the way to the inside of the encoder itself. This explained why the issue developed after a few months of use, as the thick viscous grease took time to spread into the encoder.

What I did was, unscrewed the encoder, also unsoldered a three pin from the encoder to the mainboard, then basically washed the encoder with hot water and soap. I know you might think this was stupid, but that's what I had in hand, I don't have cleaning sprays, and didn't with to use, e.g. Acetone as the encoder have plastic parts too. But the soap worked really well, I shacked the encoder in a small container with the soap and hot water, then the same thing for removing the soap with only hot water, then dried the encoder thoroughly, I used soldering hotair gun at minimum temperature.

Now the mouse is finally got fixed. No issues whatsoever!

I recommend 3Dconnexion will notice this issue and instruct the manufacturers in China to stop using this white grease all together as it's totally not needed, not to mention the problems it introduces.

Note: I couldn't post a 800kB image in here!!

ngomes

Re: CadMouse Compact Wireless wheel issue fix

Post by ngomes »

Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention. I have forwarded your feedback to my colleagues in Production.
Nuno Gomes
popstn

Re: CadMouse Compact Wireless wheel issue fix

Post by popstn »

I have (3) CadMouse Pro Wireless models and (1) CadMouse Pro Wired model that I have purchased of the last 3-4 years. They have all done this since day one and it drives me nuts. Might try your fix! Thanks!