Please Give Blender Full Navigation Modes Like ZBrush

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Sphynx

Please Give Blender Full Navigation Modes Like ZBrush

Post by Sphynx »

Hello,

I am a recently new SpaceMouse Enterprise owner and I love this tool so much.

In ZBrush it has been transformative to my workflow so much so that I bought a backup just incase something happens to my current one or if I need it while traveling.

One thing I noticed however is that certain software do not feature the same camera options as ZBrush, like Blender.

Examples below:

ZBrush Advanced Settings:

Blender Settings:

You will notice Blender doesn't get the important view customization options that ZBrush allows for and the only thing Blender allows for is speed changes.

This makes it hard to utilize the 3D movement when working inside Blender when you have a preferred method of use such as "Camera Mode" with "Lock Horizon" enabled in sculpting scenarios or when assembling scenes.

Any way for 3DConnexion to add this support to Blender?

PS - There is a Glitch in Maya 2024 where when the navigation mode is changed to "Camera Mode" it becomes insanely sensitive and fast but works fine and uses the set speed for "object" and "target camera" navigation modes.
luping

Re: Please Give Blender Full Navigation Modes Like ZBrush

Post by luping »

Blender is open source software https://www.blender.org/about/license/, while the 3Dconnexion 3DxWare APIs are not, so you won't see full navigation modes support like what you see in ZBrush.
maschl

Re: Please Give Blender Full Navigation Modes Like ZBrush

Post by maschl »

I don't understand, if Blender is Open Source, 3Dx isn't, and Cinema4D, ZBrush etc all are NOT, how is it less of a problem for 3DX to adapt to proprietary software than to OSS?

According to 2019 stats, there are between 1-3 million Blender users that even NVidia is banking on for its "metaverse", so I believe this should be regarded a valid contender...

I mean, I have given up on that anyway, my SpaceNavigator is still in perfect shape and not really usable in Blender due to super fidgety settings, but at least I can use it just fine to navigate Google Earth for my Archviz Projects. I'll definitely NOT buy a new device if I can't use it properly then :lol: