Looking to customize Spacepilot for Baldur's Gate 3

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

10player

Looking to customize Spacepilot for Baldur's Gate 3

Post by 10player »

So, Baldur's Gate 3 has some wonky navigation that I think the Spacepilot I use for Solid Edge could easily control. Well it would make the gaming experience better. Can I just use something like Controlmyjoystick or can I edit some sort of XML for this overhead navigation. Apologies for the post, i'm kind of new to the 3dconnexion stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
jwick

Re: Looking to customize Spacepilot for Baldur's Gate 3

Post by jwick »

Our driver has minimal support for games. But you can put the device into its minimal joystick mode, then use one of the excellent third party joystick mapping apps available to fine tune the interface to your game.

I don't have any experience with those apps, other than to get an overview and be very impressed by what they do.
There are probably forum users who have experience with them.
Medeival Bunny

Post by Medeival Bunny »

jwick wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:09 am But you can put the device into its minimal joystick mode
This intrigues me. What is this joystick mode and how to I use it?
jwick

Post by jwick »

Every cfg file can define what the Axes (&buttons) of the 3D mouse do.
We ship a JoystickTemplate.xml file that shows how to assign 3D mouse axes to system Joystick axes.

If you start your game and use our GUI to make some change to any application-specific setting, it will write a cfg file specific to your game in %appdata%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg.

You can then manually copy the <ButtonActions> and <Devices> section from the template file into your game-specific file to assign Joystick actions to the 3D mouse axes (and some buttons).

At that point, your 3D mouse will send out Joystick events. The in-game controls may be used to assign the incoming joystick axes to game-specific actions. Third-party joystick mapping applications will give you much more control than our driver provides.
Medeival Bunny

Post by Medeival Bunny »

That's awesome, I definitely going to play around with that, as a flight sim enthusiast I'm already very familiar with what to do with game controllers.

Is it possible to program an axis to output a button press? That would probably make gaming with a SpaceMouse a lot more assessable without needing to rely on 3rd party software at all. It would also make it a lot easier to program a SpaceMouse to work in applications that don't have direct support.
jwick

Post by jwick »

There is another file, KeyboardWASDTemplate.xml, that shows mapping from axes to WASD keys.

The <Key> element value is the HID value for the key. The easiest way to find out what it is for your keyboard is to create a kb macro for one of the buttons for the key you want to press. The value written for that is the same as the value you need for an axis.

I think there is a lot of value in using the third party mappers. They do a lot more than the basic button mapping that we are doing. That's their business.
Medeival Bunny

Post by Medeival Bunny »

That's awesome, and sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

But, copying the <Devices> portion of the KeyboardWASDTemplate into my existing Baldur's Gate 3 file doesn't seem to have actually done anything. Tilting forward and backward still mimics mouse wheel scroll, and no WASD keypresses are sent.

Is there something else I need to do? Is there an issue with using both the 3DxWare GUI and XML editing to create a file?
jwick

Post by jwick »

PM your file to me