Sketch Lock on macOS (specifically with respect to Autodesk Fusion 360)

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

GarthSnyder

Sketch Lock on macOS (specifically with respect to Autodesk Fusion 360)

Post by GarthSnyder »

Autodesk has added a sketch lock feature to its support for the most recent 3DConnexion drivers. When you start editing a sketch, rotations are disabled. You can pan and zoom the sketch, but not orbit.

This feature is wonderful! But there's a problem that kind of ruins it: while editing a sketch, the normal Rotations On/Off command is completely disabled. Which is to say, there is currently no way to disable the rotation lock while sketching when you need to.

There's also no way to disable the feature entirely. The Windows driver has an on/off checkbox for Sketch Lock, but the Mac driver does not.

This issue has been discussed here and here on the Autodesk forums. Autodesk claims there's nothing they can do: this is entirely a driver issue.

Here's my desired behavior:

1) You can enable or disable Sketch Lock depending on your preferences.

2) If the feature is turned on, rotation lock is automatically activated when you enter the sketch environment and deactivated when you leave the sketch environment. This part already works.

3) The Rotations On/Off command continues to work normally, even in the sketch environment.

I am not sure if this issue is completely confined to the Mac drivers. Windows may show the same problem with Rotations On/Off being disabled; I just don't know.

(If you are wondering, "Why the heck would you want to reenable rotations while sketching?", there are a couple of reasons. First, Fusion 360 sketches are all 3D. Many of them use only planar geometry and the UI is optimized for that, but you are free to start sketching in three dimensions at any time. For that, you certainly need rotations. Second, you may need to orbit to select geometry exterior to the sketch even if the intent is simply to project it.)

(Another aside, for anyone who arrives here looking for a work-around. There are currently two that I'm aware of. First, you can return to the Legacy 3DConnexion driver in Fusion 360 preferences panel. Second, you can jog the ViewCube in the upper right hand corner of the viewport. This will both enable rotations and enable Rotations On/Off while remaining within the sketch.)
siepe

Re: Sketch Lock on macOS (specifically with respect to Autodesk Fusion 360)

Post by siepe »

***** another work-around ***** for Mac

1) I disable from Fusion preference "auto look at sketch"
2) if I want to lock the sketch I click on the "cube" on the view I want so is not orbiting but just pan and zoom
3) to unlock I set the "ISO view" or whatever view you want on one of the side button of the spacemouse 8)

if you prefer can skip option 1)

Hope it help
Cheers