Why does my SpaceMouse work better in Sketchup than Revit?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

rogreene4121

Why does my SpaceMouse work better in Sketchup than Revit?

Post by rogreene4121 »

I've been modeling 3D piping for the past couple years in Sketchup and got hooked on 3D navigation with my SpaceMouse. Rotating was buttery smooth with 144 Hz and all 3 axes worked simultaneously while zooming in/out.

In Revit, it seems to lock onto either rotating or zooming. You can kind of switch between the two during the same interaction, but they are definitely not simultaneously working well together.

The other issue is changing sensitivity. In Sketchup, it was able to adjust the speed based on how far away the model was. It would zoom really fast to fill your screen, then it would slow down significantly as you got right up against objects and faces.

Revit seems to pick a new zoom speed for every model I'm in. If you set it up to work well with a full model in a regular project, you're going to zoom in at a snail's pace in the family editor.

GIF for reference: https://imgur.com/a/tA9fiTV
luping

Re: Why does my SpaceMouse work better in Sketchup than Revit?

Post by luping »

The title of this post is misleading, "better" is the comparative degree of positive degree "good". It contradicts the description of the content of this post.
FrankHill

Post by FrankHill »

Wow,

Your comparison really highlights the importance of smooth 3D navigation! Sketchup sounds like a dream with that buttery rotation and adaptive zoom. Revit definitely has some catching up to do in that department. Thanks for sharing your insights!
Blue WhatsApp
evawillms

Post by evawillms »

SketchUp's ability to adjust the speed based on the distance from objects or faces might not be present in Revit, which could result in a different zooming experience.
DavidV

Post by DavidV »

I've been modeling 3D piping for the past couple years in Sketchup and got hooked on 3D navigation with my SpaceMouse. Rotating was buttery smooth with 144 Hz and all 3 axes worked simultaneously while zooming in/out.

In Revit, it seems to lock onto either rotating or zooming. You can kind of switch between the two during the same interaction, but they are definitely not simultaneously working well together.

The other issue is changing sensitivity. In Sketchup, it was able to adjust the speed based on how far away the model was. It would zoom really fast to fill your screen, then it would slow down significantly as you got right up against objects and faces.

Revit seems to pick a new zoom speed for every model I'm in. If you set it up to work well with a full model in a regular project, you're going to zoom in at a snail's pace in the family editor.

GIF for reference: https://imgur.com/a/tA9fiTV

IT is important to note that most 3D cad application, or 3D applications in general will use the 3D mouse differently for navigation.

In this case, the navigation for SketchUp was implemented by us (3Dconnexion) and the navigation is up to our standards.
Navigation for Revit was created by AutoDesk and it is up to the standard they think will benefit their customers the most who use Revit.
we did create a plugin for Revit, but this is only for the button commands and not navigation.
wideepee

Post by wideepee »

If I open 3d Connexion properties, then open SketchUp, the mouse works OK at first.
DavidV

Post by DavidV »

wideepee wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:55 pm If I open 3d Connexion properties, then open SketchUp, the mouse works OK at first.
How does it stop working ok after?
Does it not work at all before opening settings?
What issues are you having?