OneNote and PowerPoint

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Alakelele

OneNote and PowerPoint

Post by Alakelele »

Hello all, I just want to report that the SpaceMouse is still not working in PowerPoint and has very limited functionality in Onenote, only scrolling up and down.

What would it take to get either Microsoft and/or 3Dconnexion to check on that and make things moving again ?

Please help by commenting and or upvoting this thread
luping

Re: OneNote and PowerPoint

Post by luping »

SpaceMouse is specifically designed for 3D software like CAD/CAM/CAE software, not for office applications like PowerPoint or OneNote.
mhoopes

Post by mhoopes »

3Dconnexion is supported directly by a number of applications, some of which are listed here:
https://3dconnexion.com/us/software/?so ... dustry=all
It's generally up to the application developers to provide this support.

If an application is not directly supported, Rx (vertical tilt) emulates the mouse wheel by default. Some applications support horizontal scrolling with Shift+MouseWheel, but OneNote and PowerPoint aren't among them.

There are workarounds, if one is willing to deploy AutoHotKey, and edit the 3Dconnexion ONENOTE KMJ device profile to make Ry control horizontal scrolling.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OneNote/commen ... scrolling/

Here's the part of the 3Dconnexion xml that would be modified. The <Enabled>...</Enabled> and <Output>...</Output> lines would be replaced to bring Shift+MouseWheel to Ry.

The best way to start this is to go to 3DxWare Properties, with OneNote active in it, and enable Ry (horizontal tilt). The ONENOTE-KMJ.xml file will show up, and can be edited in a text editor (location: %appdata%\3DxWare\Cfg).

Code: Select all

<Axis>
          <Enabled>true</Enabled>
          <Input>
            <ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Ry</ActionID>
            <Min>-512</Min>
            <Max>511</Max>
          </Input>
          <Output>
            <ActionID>HIDMouse_Wheel</ActionID>
            <Modifiers>
              <Modifier>Shift</Modifier>
            </Modifiers>
          </Output>
        </Axis>
The AutoHotkey code that worked for me (Windows 11, AutoHotkey 2) is as follows:

Code: Select all

#Requires AutoHotkey v2.0
#HotIf WinActive("ahk_exe ONENOTE.EXE") or WinActive("ahk_exe ApplicationFrameHost.exe")
Shift & WheelDown::Click "WheelRight" 
Shift & WheelUp::Click "WheelLeft"
Michael Hoopes
mhoopes

Post by mhoopes »

As for AutoHotKey in the latest Windows 11 versions (I'm in 22H2), recent Windows updates appear to have obscured the startup location that was launching my other scripts, though they still are working.

I placed the latest one (calling it OneNoteHorizScroll-1.ahk, which only contains the latter code above) in this folder:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
Michael Hoopes
mhoopes

Post by mhoopes »

One more thing: I've found that I prefer the Dominant setting in 3DxWare for Mouse Wheel emulation. Diagonal scroll is otherwise a bit etch-a-sketchy.
Michael Hoopes
Alakelele

Post by Alakelele »

Same situation here, too bad Microsoft is not embracing the 3dmouse