Is the SpaceMouse tied to a particular dongle? What happens when it is replaced?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

KatAdair

Is the SpaceMouse tied to a particular dongle? What happens when it is replaced?

Post by KatAdair »

I've been fighting trying to get my SpaceMouse Wireless connected for a couple hours tonight, and was about to give up, when I thought I'd try one last thing. I had bought five extra dongles because I lose things like that, and since I had no idea where my original dongle was, I just pulled another one out of my bag and tried connecting it on my new computer. It didn't work.

After an hour or so, I remembered where the original was, and when I plugged it in, it seems to work. Is the SpaceMouse Wireless actually tied/connected/registered to the dongle that came with it? What happens when the dongle is lost and needs to be replaced? How do you link a new dongle to the SpaceMouse?

Thanks.
-------------------------------
CAD Trainer SketchUp/ZBrush/Shapr3D
Mountains of Colorado
ngomes

Re: Is the SpaceMouse tied to a particular dongle? What happens when it is replaced?

Post by ngomes »

KatAdair wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:06 pm Is the SpaceMouse Wireless actually tied/connected/registered to the dongle that came with it?
Yes. All wireless devices are "paired" to a receiver (dongle) during manufacturing.
What happens when the dongle is lost and needs to be replaced?
All 3Dconnexion devices (CadMouse, SpaceMouse, keyboards) can be used with a cable. If something happens, a USB cable is all you need to recover a level of operation allowing the user to continue to work until the device can be paired to a replacement receiver (or to Bluetooth if the device supports it).
How do you link a new dongle to the SpaceMouse?
The Mac and Windows drivers ship with a pairing program. The user connects the new receiver, selects it on the driver UI and then opens the panel to initiate the pairing process.
Nuno Gomes