Is 3ds max 5.1 supported?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Accel

Is 3ds max 5.1 supported?

Post by Accel »

Hi. I'm new to this forum as I just received my SpaceNavigator today. Is 3ds max 5.1 supported? According to the ReadMe file version 5 and higher is supported, however I receive an error loading the script files when max starts up. Has anyone else experienced this?
Accel

Post by Accel »

"sindarin

So I searched and searched and finally found an old post from someone here that says that version 5 is no longer supported and to update to a newer version of 3ds. Thanks for the mis-representation guys. I really appreciate it. Take a look at your website and the re-sellers websites. They all say 3ds max with no version listed, which means that the S.N. should work with all versions of Max. If it does not you should have it listed as only working with 6-9 which you do not. You might here in the forum, but you don't on the product page. Believe me I checked before I bought it. The least you could do if you are no longer supporting Max 5 is to put up the legacy software that DOES work with version 5 so we can at least use the S.N. while we work on coughing up the 3000.00 for Version 9. "
:(
No wonder no one responded. Does the legacy software still exist?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Accel,

Did you try a manual install of the driver?

* Manual Installation
Copy the "3dxstd.dlu" file from "C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3Dconnexion Plug-in for 3ds max"
to the "stdplugs" sub-directory of 3dx max.
Copy "3DxStudio.chm" to the help sub-directory
If you are using 3ds max 5 and higher copy 3DxStudio.ms to the scripts\startup sub-directory.
That's all.

* Loading the plug-in

- First use of the plug-in:
i) In order to use the SpaceMouse/SpaceBall, you must make sure that the driver is running;
ii) Start 3ds max, the plug-in should now be loaded and a banner is displayed.

- Automatic load of the plug-in:
No action is required if 3DxStudio.ms is located in the scripts\startup directory
Accel

Post by Accel »

Yes I did, Fred. I followed the instructions in the Readme file which are just as you describe because they don't get installed automatically. Upon loading plugins at startup, Max gave me two error messages with no banner to follow.

The first error reads "DLL C:\Program Files\3dsmax5\StdPlugs\3dxstd.dlu> failed to initialize." The second error reads "--Type error: Interface method call requires MAXClass, got: undefined." The script location is displayed in the title bar as C:\Program Files\3dsmax5\Scripts\Startup\3DxStudio.ms.

Are there any previous versions of the files that were known to work with max5?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Sorry Accel, i donot have access to an earlier plugin for 3Dsmax.
3dsjerry

Post by 3dsjerry »

I've been using an SB (not ST or SN) with max since version 4? maybe 2.5? there should be an old version of the software around.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Accell send me a email with your email adress. I will send you the plugin from the 2.8.2 3dsmax plugin. otherwise you can download the driver right click on the file and unzip the files into a folder. next open the components folder and choose the studio max folder for version 6 this worked with version 5 for the spaceballs. Then run the installation. It has the same instructions for manual install as well but i would advice removing the current files that were manually copied out of the current folders then place the ones from the above install.
Accel

Post by Accel »

Fred,

That sounds like a plan. My email is ************************. I've already removed the max plugin files as they were generating the annoying error messages so installing the new (old) files should be a breeze.

Thanks, :)

Angelo

Edit (moderator): remove e-mail address from public view.
Accel

Post by Accel »

Fred,

Have you been able to find the 2.8.2 3dsmax plugin? I'm anxiously waiting.

Angelo
Accel

Post by Accel »

Accel wrote:Fred,

That sounds like a plan. My email is ************************. I've already removed the max plugin files as they were generating the annoying error messages so installing the new (old) files should be a breeze.

Thanks, :)

Angelo

Edit (moderator): remove e-mail address from public view.
I see that my email address has been removed. How will Fred send me the old plugin files?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Check your 3DConnexion mailbox I sent you a message.

Fred
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Accel,
I see that my email address has been removed. How will Fred send me the old plugin files?
Moderators have access to some of your contact details, e-mail address being one. There is no need to post your address publicly.
malojo

Post by malojo »

Can someone send me the files also? I still need 3dsmax 5 and if the 3dconnexion device would work this would increase my speed so much.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Sorry the plugin will not work with the Newer devices.
Only version 6 and up are supported using Space Navigator, Explorer.
The old plugin would not identify the newer devices.
drizzt

The max 5 driver would be so helpfull for me

Post by drizzt »

Hi Fred,

I bought a SpaceNavigator a few month ago and would be realy glad to use it in my 3ds max 5.1 environment as i work very often with it.

please send me the download link too?

Christian