Can a Spaceball 5000 coexitst with a Space Traveller?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

qhorque

Can a Spaceball 5000 coexitst with a Space Traveller?

Post by qhorque »

I work in an environment where I have some control over the hardware I use but not complete authority. I have a workstation that runs CAD software that has a Space Ball 5000 (serial) connected to it and I apparently am running 3DxSoftware 2.8.2.

I recently was given a Space Traveler to use and that apparently has 3DxSoftware 3.5.6 as well as being a USB device. I was not told to remove the 5000.

The question is can I run both devices on the same computer and if so, do I need to uninstall 2.8.2 before installing 3.5.6. I suspect I can not run both drivers/version concurrently. If not, will 3.5.6 support the 5000 serial Space Ball?

Looking through your website, it appears you are no longer supporting serial devices or even any of the classic Space Balls of days past and you would prefer to move everyone forward to your newer USB devices. Well, I currently have one installed...

What's your suggestion here?

Thanks,

Bob
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi Bob,

3.5.6 only supports USB devices, but your SpaceTraveler should work with 2.8.2. You'll have to unplug your serial device before connecting it.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
qhorque

Post by qhorque »

Thanks for the quick reply Jim.

So when you say unplug the serial device before connecting the Space Traveler means I can't use them both at the same time, correct? But the software should be able to detect which one is connected and use it appropriately without too much of a hassle, right?

Thanks,

Bob
jwick

Post by jwick »

Precisely.
Bazooka Joe

Post by Bazooka Joe »

I'm attempting a related, but different work place combination- I usually use a Spaceball 5000 serial port, and now want to use a Space Navigator when I'm not in the office. This is with NX5, if that is of importance.

Is there an available driver which would work for both? I tried the Navigator with its software, but it won't run with the 5000's driver. It looks like I'm either going to be driving the Spaceball 5000 or the Navigator.

Thanks in advance for an answer.
jwick

Post by jwick »

There is no driver that supports the SpaceNavigator and serial ports. The SN came out after the serial port support was dropped. You'd have to swap out the driver when you switched devices.

You might be able to get away with not doing a full installation/uninstallation each time. Try this. Install the version that works with the serial devices, make a copy of the 3DxWare directory (3DxWare_5000). Then install the SpaceNavigator version and make a different copy of that (3DxWare_SN). You might be able to swap back and forth by copying the 3DxWare_SN version to 3DxWare and the 3DxWare_5000 version to 3DxWare as needed.