Space Pilot used with Desktop extenion products

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

jascen150

Space Pilot used with Desktop extenion products

Post by jascen150 »

Hello All,
I have what I feel to be a unique question. My company would like to utilize the space pilot for CATIA V5 and V4. However, due to security control features, the actual PC will reside in the network center (not a blade, but an actual IBM Work Station) and the space pilot will reside on the employees desk. This is done with a desktop extension device. We are currently trying some Avocent products (http://www.avocent.com/Products/Product.aspx?id=3008) to achieve this. The standard Mouse, Keyboard, and monitor work fine...however the Space Pilot is not seen by the PC at all, not even in the device manager. We plugged the space pilot direct into the PC and it worked fine, so we know the drivers are good. The problem seems to reside on the Longview product. Has anyone attempted to use this or a similar product in this fashion, or do they have any suggestions. We have the Avocent folks working on it as well, and even sent them a Space Ball to work with in their lab. Any info that i can send on to them would be helpful. The details of how the Longview works are to many to put in the post, please see the link above. Thank you.
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

jascen150

Our devices are designed to work only when plugged directly into one of the computer's usb ports.
It should not be plugged into an intermediate device like a usb hub, adapter or the monitor. This includes an extension device.
Chris
jwick

Post by jwick »

I would expect this to work as long as there is enough power supplied and as long as the SpacePilot USB IDs are not filtered out by the extension. I use an electronic KVM all the time. Of course, it is only 3 feet from the various machines.

Let us know how you resolve this with Avocent.

Jim
3Dx Software Development