XSI and Space Navigator

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

ultramarine

XSI and Space Navigator

Post by ultramarine »

Hi,

I recently bought a Space Navigator to help save my sanity while using XSI 4.0 Foundation at home (I use Maya at work). Stupidly I only checked which versions of XSI that you currently support after realising the Space Navigator was refusing to work properly (although the buttons seem to work fine)..

I've since read on an XSI user forum that the Space Navigator works on XSI 4.2. Unfortunately when I upgraded to XSI 4.2 on my previous machine a couple of years ago, (again, stupdily) I failed to make a back-up of the upgrade file.. Typically, Softimage have stopped supporting release 4 so I can't re-download the upgrade. I am about to email them to ask if they can help (although I doubt it as the Foundation license support currently stops with XSI 5)... :-(

However, looking at the readme file associated with your plug-in for XSI it seems that earlier versions did support XSI 4.0. I've cut and pasted the following;

- Fix: Crash installing in XSI V4.0
Version 2.0.1 (alpha)

I appreciate that you no longer support XSI 4.0, but would it be possible for me to download the driver version 2.01 from somewhere?

Thanks in advance..
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Dear ultramarine,

The oldest driver we have for download from our Website is 3DxSoftware Suite 2.8.2. Within that download is included plug-in 3DxSI 2.1.4. This may or may not be useful to you.

Sincerely,
Bryan
ultramarine

Post by ultramarine »

Thanks for your prompt reply Bryan..

I can't find a driver 2.8.2 for the Space Navigator on your website.. (if there is one, do you have a link please?)

I did download suite 2.82 for one of the other devices (a serial spaceball, I think) and tired installing the 3DXSI 2.1.4 and, perhaps unsurprisingly, it didn't work. Should I completely uninstall the my original 3Dxsoftware suite, as I just told the 2.82 installation to insall the 3DXSI plug-in? Needless to say, I'm more than a bit dubious about using the Spaceball driver rather than one specically for the Space Navigator..

Failing this, I realise its a bit cheeky, but would it be possible to email a copy of the driver v2.01 - assuming you keep copies of legacy drivers somewhere?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Dear ultramarine,

You were correct in selecting in the Serial SpaceBall 4000 to bring up the listing for 3DxSoftware Suite 2.8.2. You will probably need to decide whether you want have your system set up to use the older software suite or the newer software suite. The older software suite was previous to the introduction of the Space Navigator, so you may need to use previous devices. What does your version of XSI give you as system requirements.
No library of older drivers is available to me. 3DxSI 2.1.4 supercedes 3DxSI 2.0.1 so would it would include that basic functionality plus improvements. For using the SpaceNavigator you probably really need to upgrade your software.
ultramarine

Post by ultramarine »

Ah ok, thanks Bryan, I understand what you're saying..

Unfortunately I can't afford to upgrade XSI to 6 at the moment.. so I will see if they can enable me to upgrade to 4.2. If not, I'll have to seek an alternative solution (or get used to switching between maya and xsi).

Regards..
sneeky

Post by sneeky »

ok
ultramarine

Post by ultramarine »

:roll:
ultramarine

Post by ultramarine »

Quick update..

Softimage have the upgrade to 4.2 tucked away on their site.. so in the end it was no problem to download it. Happy to say the Space Navigator now works perfectly with the latest drivers.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Dear ultramarine,

Glad to hear it worked okay for you. : ^ )

Sincerely,
Bryan